Turkey - Georgia, summer 2018

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by elias, Sep 7, 2018.

1. PukaWai

PukaWai Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lurk Thanks for taking the time to share your journey! Not that many ride reports going through this corner of the world. Do you speak Turkish? It seems that once you leave the tourist circuit in Turkey, it's rare to find anyone that speaks anything other than Turkish.
    I was quite surprised by your picture of the small ferry to Xios, more of an overgrown fishing boat. It looked very familiar!

[​IMG]
    elias likes this.
  2. elias

elias Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah things were pretty tight.

[​IMG]
    scudo likes this.
  3. elias

elias Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Communication was difficult. I don't speak Turkish, and away from the shore, in the mainland no one speaks English. But with body language you can do your job. As everywhere i think.
    EFT., DavidM1 and Sfcootz like this.
  4. Essbee

Essbee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What a beautiful place!!!!! That canyon with those tunnels is something else! Thanks for sharing, enjoying this.
    elias likes this.
  5. elias

elias Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So on the way to Trabzon. After the canyon the road is a bit tricky for some km. The paper map was not very detailed, and the gps was showing roads not that accurate. The reason is mining in a this area, so there are some new roads, others have vanished, a lot of trucks also. Anyway, after some stops, doublechecks, with google maps and gps, and of course the help of signs, i found my way.

Ooops!!!
    [​IMG]

The view around there
    [​IMG]
    scudo, Crazygreek, Sfcootz and 2 others like this.
  6. elias

elias Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Going north, the road goes up to some mountain passes, and down in some beautiful valleys. Twisty road with very good tarmac, and not much traffic. I really enjoyed that part.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    scudo, Crazygreek, Sfcootz and 6 others like this.
  7. Ruud109

Ruud109 Dutch in Barcelona

Oddometer:
    Following! Great pics!
  8. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Outstanding! More please. :clap
  9. elias

elias Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As i was getting closer to the mountains north, fir trees and forests apeared. With them clounds carrying moisture, and of course... rain, fog, and low tempetatures. Together green colors, and nice views!!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    scudo, Sfcootz, BillUA and 2 others like this.
  10. elias

elias Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Soon , i reached Macka, where i turned south to go to Sumela monastery. A little bit traffic there, it seems that this area is touristic. But after this village, the route is absolutely stunning!!! After around 20 km stopped to pay a ticket for entering the monastery area. I asked the man in the cashier if it is open , he replied "yes yes" , i am not sure if he understood what i said but anyway i left.

I reached the parcking spot, many cars there, and guess what, the monastery is closed. :devildog. I heared that they are doing some maintance to the path , so they couldn't let people enter. so i found a corner with view to the monastery and just took some pictures.

The road to the monastery.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Paying for entrance
    [​IMG]
    scudo and Crazygreek like this.
  11. elias

elias Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sumela monastery,

[​IMG]
    scudo, Crazygreek, Sfcootz and 4 others like this.
  12. elias

elias Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    At the parking spot, i met Bernthand, from Germany. he was 24 or 26 years old i think, with a Honda Transalp 700, and we both had planned to go to Livera camping for the night. It was around 15 km back north. Although the area has many hotels and guesthouses, when i was looking in the internet for accommodation i saw this camping site, and stopped searching. It is in a high plateau away from the busy roads and villages, with great view and some lovely "Yurts" if you didnt want to put a tent.

So we decided to go there together, and continue ride together the following day, because we were both going to enter Georgia. Something practical that came along, is that Bernthard had a turkish mother , and he could speak some turkish, in fact his turkish was as good as english (or as bad as...), but anyway, the fact was that he could translate to me what i was been told, and no body language was needed.

So after 10 km down the street and 5-6 km up a muddy road we reached the camping site, and again the reality was a lot better than i was expecting.

On the way down.
    [​IMG]

The people were very friendly and with the help in translating from Bernthard we found a Yurt with two beds to sleep.

Livera camping.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The dinning, and breakfast place
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    scudo, Crazygreek, Sfcootz and 5 others like this.
  13. elias

elias Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Livera Camping.

[​IMG]

Our Yurt for the night!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    scudo, EFT., Crazygreek and 10 others like this.
  14. River Rat

River Rat Greybeard

Oddometer:
    WOW :super!!!
    Sfcootz likes this.
  15. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
  16. elias

elias Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To me it should have been open all August. Especially in 15 August which is a special day and Because of that this whole region attracts many tourists, and that keeps the Economy running in this area. I mean this is win-win situation, It benefits all.
  17. SaddleFever

SaddleFever n00b

Oddometer:
    Wow, what an amazing ride so far! This is why I hate reading ride reports from my desk at work, it makes me... less productive
    Sfcootz and elias like this.
  18. elias

elias Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When we arrived at the camping, as we were making noise with our motors until we find a place to put the side stand (the wet grass was too soft for it), people gathered, and children to see who are the new guys. We were welcomed and by the time we were settled to the Yurt, the dinner was ready and served to us.

We found a good parking spot.
    [​IMG]

Among others that welcomed us, it was also Ismail. He was also on vacation, he was working for the military in Van, and because he had also a motorcycle back home, wanted to hang out with us and learn about us and the bikes. Of course the selfies again were necessery.

Ismail, Bernthard and me!
    [​IMG]

After the sun set, together with the night came low temperatures and we all went inside the "lobby", with the stove full of burning woods. Ismail had a big pack with tea, he boiled a lot of it, and stayed there and chatted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    scudo, Crazygreek, Sfcootz and 4 others like this.
  19. elias

elias Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After a wonderfull sleep and a perfect breakfast , we started our next chapter of our trip. It was only 200km to the borders with Georgia, but there was still a small problem i had to solve before i exit Turkey. And that was the ticket for the tolls, that i was supposed to take before i enter the national road.

I knew that my number plate might had been photographed, and if i tryed to exit the country without paying, i might have a problem. So i checked in the internet for a PTT (post office), and it was on my way before i reach Trabzon. When i got there the man in the office told me that he didnt have, and it would propably be better to go back to Macka or Trabzon. I didnt want to go into Trabzon, because of traffic , and went back to Macka, where the office man told me that he also didnt have the ticket. In all these conversations i was thankfull to have with me Bernthard as translator . In conclusion they told me that i can pay in the borders. I took the risk not to go into Trabzon and went straight to Georgia, with the hope the office man was telling the truth.

Again tea before breakfast.
    [​IMG]

Breakfast.
    [​IMG]
    scudo, Crazygreek, Sfcootz and 3 others like this.
  20. elias

elias Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The road to the borders was good. A bit traffic in some points, and rain but ok.

[​IMG]

Trucks waiting before the borders.

[​IMG]

And thankfully there was my office man!!! in the beggining he didnt understand what i wanted, and again after some long discussions between Bernthard and the office man he finally gave me that magic yellow tiicket. It costed around 10 euro but it lasts for a long time, it depends on how many kms you make on national roads, the bridges in Istanbul ets.
    [​IMG]
    scudo, Crazygreek, taranaki and 5 others like this.