Turkey - Georgia, summer 2018

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by elias, Sep 7, 2018.

1. elias

elias Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My destination for today was Tbilisi, where i would stay for 2 days, until the weather got better on the mountains. But first i passed the Borjomi national Park, and then stopped in Gori to Visit Stalins Museum. If you go there take a guide. Its worth it for the details, some of them pretty shocking.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. River Rat

River Rat Greybeard

Oddometer:

Stunning pictures :thumb, gotta love the parking brake on the little truck :lol3
    elias likes this.
  3. elias

elias Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After buying some souvenirs, Got back on the bike for my last stop of the day, Tbilisi. Went straight to the first hostel i had in mind, close to the center. It was the backpackers hostel. It had a spare bed, and it was clean. Tbilisi is a very beautiful city, and clean also. A lot of tourists of course because it was August. Nice center, many places to eat, or have a coffee or beer. I walked a lot for 2 days, but worth it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    RvGS, Crazygreek, River Rat and 3 others like this.
  4. elias

elias Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some more from Tbilisi...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. elias

elias Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In Tbilisi , i had also arranged to make an oil change on my 640. Before i leave Greece , i didnt find a dealer of ktm there , although there is, and so i called some guys that organize guided off road tours , and they told me that they can help. so without any further search went straight to them. They really wanted to help , and they did, but cant say that i was pleased with their service, because they didnt know much about my old 625ccm engine. They mostly worked with new huskvarna, so i opened the manual and got to work together with one of them , to make sure everything was going to be ok. And it did.

Here is their place.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. terryna

terryna n00b

Oddometer:
    great trip.congrats![​IMG]
    elias likes this.
  7. tgtav8tor

tgtav8tor tgtav8tor

Oddometer:
    Awesome trip report on a very interesting part of the world. Thanks for posting this. I'm in.
    elias likes this.
  8. taranaki

taranaki Mansplainer

Oddometer:
    “ Zaza was an excellent host. He offered us dinner, he cooked some delicious Khinkali, salad, and cheese. He also brought 2 liters of his own red wine. We chatted for a long time, and before the wine was over, we started singing. First Zaza with a local song, and then the Austrians with something traditional from Tirol. Zaza was so impresed that went to bring one more liter of wine. After all that i slept like a baby. “

:clap
  9. elias

elias Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok, so after 2 nights and days in Tbilisi, i checked the weather and it was ok for 3-4 days. Packed quickly and left. I needed to ride, to go on the mountains, thats why i came all that way.

[​IMG]
  10. elias

elias Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I took the way north, to the Georgian Military Highway, to visit the Gergeti monastery in Stepantsminda. After that i had planned to go to Yuta to sleep up on the Zeta camping. It was again one more place i saw in the internet, before i leave from Greece.

The road is good, there is just a bit traffic, and many trucks. After all it is the main road that connects Russia with Georgia and others countries of course.
    I made a stop to see the Ananuri Monastery which was beside the road.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. elias

elias Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Trucks waiting For the borders.
    [​IMG]

Before Gudauri pass.

[​IMG]

An other stop at the Russian-Georgian friendship monument.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Crazygreek, Sfcootz, NaMi and 5 others like this.
  12. elias

elias Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Going down to the valley after Gudauri Pass, it is the north side of the mountain, and in some corners you can see these tunnels. Their use is when the snow is too much (i think), as a bypass.

[​IMG]
    EFT., Crazygreek, Jeff Sichoe and 3 others like this.
  13. goodcat

goodcat Changing latitudes, altitudes and attitudes

Oddometer:
    Cool report :clap
  14. elias

elias Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After half an hour i reached Stepantsminda, and went straight up to the monastery. The road is gravel with a lot of loose rocks and steep. The gps was showing me that the road is going from inside the town, but there are roadworks, and it was closed so they have made an other road a bit further. After reaching up to the monastery , i saw that the only cars that were up there , were the 4x4 vans, that tourists pay to get them there, some 4x4 vehicles, and one motorcycle... me!!!!

To tell you the truth, despite the roadworks, that you asume are made to make the approach to the monastery easier, You get the feeling that they like it better in that bad condition, so the 4x4 vans could have customers. If i couldnt go there with the bike i would sure hire a 4x4 taxi. i met a Polish rider in stepantsminda with a BMW 800 gs that when the road got worse turned around.

Roadworks
    [​IMG]

Up on the steep road an old Lada was on the side. It was smelling very bad (maybe clutch), but after a while it came up the road. It was in a very bad shape though
    [​IMG]

At last
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    thn, bomose, EFT. and 8 others like this.
  15. elias

elias Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First time i wasnt asked for a selfie!!!! Instead my bike gets one from some chinese girls, saying to me "cool" !!!!! :rayof Ah... Dont really care... So proud of my bike:lift

[​IMG]
    EFT., Crazygreek, Jeff Sichoe and 5 others like this.
  16. elias

elias Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The monastery.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Crazygreek, Jeff Sichoe, NaMi and 4 others like this.
  17. elias

elias Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Girls wanted some photos.... not from me but, anyway i was close, why shouldnt i.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    EFT., Crazygreek, Jeff Sichoe and 5 others like this.
  18. Stravoxylo

Stravoxylo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    orea volta ke orees foto!
    elias likes this.
  19. elias

elias Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    it was around 3pm when i left the Gergeti monastery. I was going back south from Stepantsminda for about 4 kms, to turn into the Yuta valley. Where after 12 km of off road i got to the Yuta village.

Yuta valley
    [​IMG]
  20. elias

elias Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I didnt know what to expect there. In any case i had my tent with me so i knew that i was definitely going to stay somewhere near Yuta for tonight. I searched for the "Zeta camping" which was 500m of walking outside the village, on a plateau. The view there is stunning, The people that run the camp are very hospitable and speak english. You can find anything you need there. a bed to sleep, food, coffee, breakfast, everything!!! Of course i decided to stay there, but because i had to carry my luggage up there, i left the tent stuff with the bike. Beside the beds they also provide tents that are allready in place, with sleeping bags. I decided to rent a tent, because i wanted to live it in full without interruptions inside a room (if you know what i mean), It was so beautiful and a bit cold as it was getting closer to sunset.

In the valley.
    [​IMG]

Part of the village.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]