Turkey - Georgia, summer 2018

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by elias, Sep 7, 2018.

1. elias

elias Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately no, I used the GPS only for specific times. Every time i knew that i didnt have any major junctions ahead , or it was just straight forword, i didnt use it. But everytime i needed it it helped and saved me a lot of time.
    Sfcootz likes this.
  2. elias

elias Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After i settled, went for a quick visit at the Towers above the village. They all make a small fortress from the old times, it is named "Keselo".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    EnginTMR, EFT., Crazygreek and 10 others like this.
  3. elias

elias Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It was time for big decisions. After one more perfect sleep in the guesthouse, had my breakfast, and checked the weather again to make my schedule. I had lots of things in mind, that i wanted to see. Also in my mind there was this idea of returning by taking a ferry from Batumi to Burgas in Bulgaria. This ferry was going to be at the port of Batumi in three days time, and then after one week. So until then, thought that i could try to do the road to Ushguli, but start from Kutaisi and end it up in mestia. It is the road that the american in Trabzon, and Tom from Batumi told me to avoid when the weather is bad. The forecast was ok for the time i needed, so went for it.

Going back the same way to take the highway.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    RvGS, Crazygreek, Stravoxylo and 10 others like this.
  4. elias

elias Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One thing i was worried before i leave Greece was about the police and the speed limits, or anything else that might be wrong and didnt know. And yes there was. On the highway as i was heading to Kutaisi, still close to Tbilisi, a police car approached me from behind with lights on ets. I stopped, the policeman came and asked for my licence, passport and all my papers. I was relaxed because i knew that i wasnt going fast enough to get a speed ticket. So i thought it was just a typical check. After a minute the policeman came out, and said to me that my number plate is dirty and that the fine is 500 GEL (around 150 euro) !!!!!!!!! :eek7 :baldy. I answered that of course its dirty, i just came down from Tusheti!!!! I couldnt wash the bike.
    (between us i didnt want to wash it, i was so proud of it being with all that mud :smile6 and i worked hard for it!!!)

Anyway, the policeman went back in the car, and came out with a bottle of water and a paper, and gave them to me without saying anything. I dont have to tell you that i immediately cleaned the number plate, and the headlights. Gave back the rest of the water and the policeman said 'Now i cant give you a ticket for dirty plate" , and left....:knary
    Pongo, EFT., Crazygreek and 8 others like this.
  5. elias

elias Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I reached Kutaisi in the evening. It took me some time to find a guesthouse. Washed my self and got out to find food and see this beauyiful town. After dinner went for a beer to check again the forecast. The good weather window had become smaller. The rainstorms that were expected later in the following day, were coming sooner, but ok, i will see for sure in the morning. I woke up early to see again the weather. it seemed a lot worse than yesterday. clouds were covering the sky, even small raindrops.

I couldnt take the risk. It really hurt me to take this decision, but i had to change plan. So i just left, to go back to Batumi and wait one more day there for the ferry to Bulgaria. and i will see.
  6. batman75

batman75 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very beautifull photos.And thiw one of yourw black and white with the cops boottle of water....I wonder what a greek cop would do.See you tonight man.....
    elias likes this.
  7. Sfcootz

Sfcootz domodnatrix Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh wow. Just... wow.

I love Turkish breakfasts and the ever present çay.

I am loving your photos and this ride report. You've taken some lovely photos of the women you've encountered. I especially like the one of the lady in the monastery.

Thank you for posting this report. I never knew I wanted to ride Georgia but I do. It looks gorgeous.
    elias and Dillard like this.
  8. PukaWai

PukaWai Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can see now why you blasted through Turkey at warp speed. Georgia is georgous (yes, that's a new word now) ! All that beautiful nature that hasn't been trashed by overpopulation... yet. The food looks scrumptious. It's been a long time since I have seen a tomato that was actually red, there's no such thing here in the land of industrial nutrition. Awesome ride, but it takes some big cojones to ride through those riverside mud bogs by yourself. Keep up the good work!
    elias likes this.
  9. elias

elias Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Definitely worth it!!!
    Sfcootz likes this.
  10. elias

elias Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Going through villages after Kutaisi was ...... smelly! In the rest of Georgia, it was cows that were all over the place, here are pigs!!! A lot of pigs, and not only they are all over the place, they shit all over the place also. Dont know how these people leave there, but i havent seen more shit on roads ever.

[​IMG]

Some good roads also.
    [​IMG]
  11. elias

elias Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As soon as i reached Batumi, went to find a room near the port. And after that, went for a walk in the center to see some corners i left some days before.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. goodcat

goodcat Changing latitudes, altitudes and attitudes

Oddometer:
    what are all those blue type bags in the park?
  13. irishrover

irishrover Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Holland,Austria, New York, Dublin,Phnom Penh
    lets do it then.. ??
  14. elias

elias Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dont how its called in english. It is filled with something soft, just to sit down.
    goodcat likes this.
  15. irishrover

irishrover Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Holland,Austria, New York, Dublin,Phnom Penh
    Bean bags, for sitting on!!!
    goodcat and elias like this.
  16. elias

elias Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So, Monday morning came, and i am waiting for the ferry to arrive. I was thinking that in about 3 days time i will get out in Bulgaria and make there some small rides around, as i will go south to Greece. Getting that ferry is not an easy thing. First you have to find the office that you get the ticket, then wait for the people that work there, to get there, which is after 12 o clock. after doing all the paperwork you wait for the ferry to come and wait for them to call you to enter it, pay, do the paperwork again, and wait again until it departures, and spend 2 and a half days on it. All this means that departure might be in 12 hours later.

While i waited, went for another special breakfast like the one i had the previous time, with Khachapuri, and was reading in the internet about the trip. Suddenly i saw a map of the trip in the black see and realised that the ferry doesnt go directly to Burgas, but first goes north to Russia in Novorosisk, and then across the black see to Burgas. That meant that i had to spend one more day on the ferry. NO WAY!!! The bike was ready and loaded. it was still morning, i had the toll sticker from Turkey with money inside, so i just left and took the way back from Turkey.

So here are the facts. I had stuck with the idea of returning with the ferry, that wasnt that good idea after all, because you loose too much time, and all that because i didnt want to ride all the Turkish highway again, plus the Greek to Athens. And so i lost time waiting for the ferry, instead of spending more time on the mountains. And time is what i wanted because i had to come back the next week at some point. So that was a bad planning from me.
    goodcat likes this.
  17. elias

elias Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Crossing the borders to Turkey took me around one and a half hour, but then didnt stop anywhere, but my destination for the night which was Samsun. Before i left Batumi i checked a camping that i could go, and so i did. I did a bit more of 500kms and reached Samsun at 7pm. put my tent went to eat, and back to the camping where i spent some time with two Turks, playing backgammon. Both Greeks and Turks play this game a lot, and are good at it, so it was real fun.

In all the rush i had to finish with the highways i didnt pay attention to the speed limits. not that i was riding a moto gp or something, but the limit in Turkey for motorcycles is 90 in the highway and 110 in national roads. And guess what..... i got a speed ticket for the speed of 102!!!!!! The good thing was that the fine was only 40 euros and i could pay at the borders.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Really nice people.
    [​IMG]
  18. goodcat

goodcat Changing latitudes, altitudes and attitudes

Oddometer:
    Too bad you lost time trying for the ferry.
    But good for us that we get more riding and reports from you haha

I'm sure you will enjoy the riding more than sitting on a ferry for 3 days
    Sfcootz likes this.
  19. slowriding

slowriding Dopeless Hope Fiend Supporter

Oddometer:
    I followed the Black Sea coast from Trabzon, nice road, I don't like ferries. If you stay along the coast I highly recommend the Amasra Ceylin Hotel in Amasra, wonderful family hotel.
    elias and goodcat like this.
  20. elias

elias Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah , in the end it was better , the ferry is good only if you want to avoid russia and ukraine.
    Jeff Sichoe and goodcat like this.