Turkey Strike at 70 mph - 1250 GSA

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by Gadgetech, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Gadgetech

Gadgetech Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    It didn’t happen to me but rather my buddy. Quite spectacular to watch the explosion of feathers from behind. The GSA handled it well but at the expense of some cosmetic damage.

ChicoProf, Smaug1 and 9Realms like this.
  2. Desce

Desce Finished Pig

Oddometer:
    Ok. Turkey in the road, and he continues at 70mph? Mmmm, lucky fella.
  3. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    Did he speak with an accent before the bird strike? :lol3

I was wondering if it was one of those trauma thing phenomenon's from experiencing shock. Joking aside, he did well to keep the bike upright.

Well done.
    SCOUT45 and Gadgetech like this.
  4. A1R250 bob

A1R250 bob n00b

Oddometer:
    I had a vulture fly up and hit me in the chest doing about 60 MPH around a fairly tight left hander. They are heavy f*cking birds. It slipped out under my right arm. I managed to continue on w/o stopping to see if it was damaged ( I didn't really care) as I was nearly late for work. It did not hit my bike or damage my jacket but it felt like a line drive to the chest.
    Gadgetech likes this.
  5. Desce

Desce Finished Pig

Oddometer:
    Someone in the DC area dies from hitting one of these birds every season. They are very big and very slow when on the ground. (Which makes avoiding them easier) When flying they can just take you out, as they are huge and "soaring" not " flapping " birds.
    Slow down if you see them. Still surprised this guy didn't. I'd suggest he's lucky that impact didn't put him into the heavy metal club.
    sperz1 and Gadgetech like this.
  6. sperz1

sperz1 Lame Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dude didn’t even attempt to slow down :dunno

Glad he saved it though.
  7. TripleDaddy

TripleDaddy Hoping my skills exceed my horsepower

Oddometer:
    If I'm honest about my riding, I would have plowed into that turkey too. Thanks for sharing; it's a good reminder about passive safety items (helmets, fairing, jacket) and active safety items (riding strategies, ABS, etc). I would hate to think what this would have done to someone out on a ride with no fairing and no helmet.

I'm glad your buddy is ok, and that you took the time to share this video.
    Gadgetech likes this.
  8. Desce

Desce Finished Pig

Oddometer:
    Wow, man if I see a live wild animal in the road I am fucking braking HARD!

YMMV
    gen1fizzy, JaySwear, TM1(SS) and 4 others like this.
  9. Snapper33

Snapper33 Globetrotter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Holy cow! That must have been an 8-10 lb bird. Great job keeping it upright!
  10. JaySwear

JaySwear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I saw a wild turkey for the first time a couple years ago (near Frederick). I couldn't wrap my head around what I was seeing until it took off and was gone. Would have been a hell of a surprise! Luckily it heard me and got the hell out of my way well before I would have crossed it's path
    Desce likes this.
  11. appliance57

appliance57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lot's of nav and camera gear - $750.. now to turn to the place the turkey isn't - priceless.
  12. overtone

overtone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I took one to the headlight on the EXC500 recently at 50+. Was in low flight*, popped out from roadside greenery. I had a chance to scrub some speed. Tweaked a turn signal - repairable - displaced a hand guard, and feathers everywhere, but otherwise no damage to the bike. Everything was covered in a fine mist of turkey shit, however. Sure glad my visor was closed.

The GS guy probably did the right thing not braking, or the dudes following may have given him a backdoor delivery. Salad-bowl-wearing Harley in the mix after all, and you know how they do -- stomp the rear brake and "had to lay 'er down". :muutt

* - they can fly short distances close to the ground (possibly using some ground effect?). In wintertime my mom puts out chicken feed almost daily for a few dozen wild turkeys that live in a stand of forest adjacent to the house, and I've seen some fly in in a mad rush for food when they spot her walking - 50+ yards, clearing pasture fences.
  13. mb90535im

mb90535im '05 R1200 GS

Oddometer:
    Aftermath of a 70 mph turkey strike by the co-worker of my ex several years ago on I-75 in GA.

TURKEY DINNER1.JPG TURKEY DINNER2.JPG
  14. thumperchief

thumperchief n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Living and riding in an area that is loaded with deer, turkeys and buzzards eating dead deer forces me to think about evasive action all the time. Slowing down quickly when you see any critter before you get there is obvious.
    Increasing your odds of not hitting one is key and it needs to be pre-thought about before it happens. I always think about choosing a line that is on the ass side of the animal. An animal can turn around in a heartbeat but chances are it will continue on its path of travel especially if deer in their group already made it across. Your line behind them will encourage them to continue that same track. Not guaranteed but tilts the odds your way.
  15. Jarrett2

Jarrett2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hit a buzzard under the same circumstances not too long ago. I guess it hit a little lower and didn't cause damage.

Similar reaction in the bike though. Just a minor shimy.
  16. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dumb animals. Seems their vision is such that they take off when you are 10 feet away. Usually right in you path. We see them a lot.

Just got back from SW Texas and it seemed like road runners were dive bombing us. They’d come out of the cacti and dive toward my buddy was we road by. One hit the side of his bike.
  17. Rider2

Rider2 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I watched a groundhog watching me, then it scurried across the road ahead of me as I slowed down. Disappeared into the weeds. I breathed a sigh of relief and was getting ready to speed up and - the damn thing ran back out of the weeds directly under my front wheel. The lesson is: the encounter isn't over until the animal is behind you.
  18. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I came around a corner in backroads PA back in April and there was a turkey standing in the middle of my lane - went ahead and braked hard since I had the time and ability to do so. Looked left and there was a whole flock in the field off to my self. A good reminder to not exceed the limits of eyesight and braking on rural backroads.
  19. Mtneer

Mtneer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had one do the same thing, long straight stretch, standing on the right side of the road, saw it slowed down to about 35-40, thinking it would stay put but it takes of trotting, then starts to get air borne, I tuck down low and brake, it glances off my shoulder and top of my helmet. I was on a 1990 Zephyr 550 and it hit the left side mirror, it is mounted to the clutch lever, spun the clutch lever up, I always keep them loose enough to move if impacted, comes from riding dirt bike and breaking levers. Stop to fix it, see the turkey flopping in the road, about 200 feet back, some guy in a pick drives by, stops, takes a club or bat out, kills it, throws in the back of truck, guess it was winner winner turkey dinner, glad I missed it for the most part. I had a coworker hit one in car and it bent the windshield post on the passenger side, most of them weigh 18-25 lbs, they can do some damage.
  20. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer:
    Seemed pretty avoidable.
    Desce likes this.