"TURKEY TRACKS" - May 17 - Adv-Ride PeoriaMC

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by Critic, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Critic

Critic More or less!

Oddometer:
    West of the Illinois, heart of the state!
    Sunday May 17th will be the first 'TURKEY TRACKS' Adventure ride. The ride will be approx. 150 miles of gravel, tar, pot holes, dirt, ruts, water, and full of fun!

First riders out by 9:00am

GPS tracks and roll charts with fuel locations will be available at sign up.

http://www.peoriamotorcycleclub.net

The Peoria Motorcycle Club facility is located on the west edge of Peoria, at 605 South Cameron LN, Bartonville, IL

[​IMG]
  2. Varmit

Varmit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sound cool!

How much is registration?
  3. S2P

S2P Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Damn, the last time I road this was 40 year's ago on a DT175 and I was 12. I was all excited to come do this, until I realized the date conflicts with my son's coming home. Maybe next year
  4. Critic

Critic More or less!

Oddometer:
    It is $15.

Cool, that would have been the Turkey Run enduro! We may have competed against each other. I won my class there on a DT175 in 1974; I was 28. You may have another chance to ride the TURKEY RUN this coming September! I'm working on a rebirth of the TURKEY RUN Enduro as an Adventure Ride; because it is almost impossible to get land use rights. Actually, the PMC's roots from the 30's and 40's on big motors were more like an adventure ride than a enduro. My plan is to have Friday night camping, ride Saturday, Saturday night dinner with camping, and Sunday for returning home. September 11-13
  5. Elderberry

Elderberry just 'bout all used up...

Oddometer:
    Of all the activities that Peoria Motorcycle Club sponsors this event is the fastest growing and Critic :clap is doing a fantastic job laying out cool adventure rides.

Come on out and join us for a great day...!!!!!
  6. ThumperIL

ThumperIL n00b

Oddometer:
    I did this ride on my 94 Harley FLHT bagger last year. It was awesome! Incredible scenery. Now don't think this is a super easy ride. I do not recommend a novice to try this on a Harley (I race a KTM300 in A class), but it can be done on most any motorcycle. I had both wheels off the ground once. My bags flew open. But I made it. My Honda broke the day before so I figured I would emulate the great Turkey Run riders of the past who did tougher terrain than this on their hard tail Harleys. There was a sketchy water crossing that I turned around at and bypassed, but so did the other guys on their KLRs. We watched a KTM 500 with full knobby's barely make it and decided against it.

Anyone can do this ride. It has challenging spots that are easily bypassed. Come on out and enjoy scenic roads in central IL you never knew existed. Any motorcycle can be an adventure bike, it just depends on how much "adventure" you can handle.
  7. tin-tin

tin-tin tallpaul

Oddometer:
    Rode this last year on KLR including the water crossing; maybe not wise. Critic laid out a sweet ride and the Spring run promises to be even better.
  8. raptortrail

raptortrail Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Will there be places to get fuel along the route?Thanks
  9. DualDog

DualDog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am really interested and am planning on attending. Sounds like a good time.
  10. Critic

Critic More or less!

Oddometer:
    Yes! There are Gas stops on both GPS tracks and roll chart.
    It is a good idea to check out the locations & distance before you start.
  11. Critic

Critic More or less!

Oddometer:
    I am dedicating this first PMC "TURKEY TRACKS" to Don Moreland, who passed this week. He was a true motorcycle adventurist. A small guy with a big heart and a great smile. Don leaves with an impressive history of Enduro wins, think Jack Pine. Don was a true winner! :clap:clap:clap

TT, just 16 more days!!!
  12. Critic

Critic More or less!

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  13. awarren

awarren Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like fun, planning on being there.
  14. Varmit

Varmit Adventurer

Oddometer:
  15. Critic

Critic More or less!

Oddometer:
    I would love to say yes, but no. Well, maybe a little. That T R (looks to be in Connecticut) is more of an easy dual Sport with mostly smaller moto's up to 650, than a Adventure ride. It is like the original PMC's Turkey Run in the 1940s on big bikes (45 and 80 c.c.), which later became more of a true enduro in the 50's, 60's 70's and still going on in some locations. It is all about land and access rights. Our current ride is an Adventure ride aimed at DS moto's up to and include big Adventure bikes. The central part of IL was big time strip mine country, which used to be available to ride on, either legal or otherwise. Now most of those mine are private property, hunting clubs, sportsman clubs, or developments. Those lands had open pits, which today are small lakes. My route weaves threw this country terrain on various types of road surfaces. A view of what is there, but that you did not know!
  16. LoopGaroo

LoopGaroo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's in New England. Wrong club
  17. Varmit

Varmit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just trying to find some Video of past rides to show my GF. She is new to Dual Sports and kind of nervous about going to new places. She rode the Bucky in Madison last year but pulled out at lunch because she was tired and sore. She rides a TW200 and I'm hoping for a positive experience.
    Also I really want to try out my new bike, I just trade my KLR off for a KTM 500EXC. Can't wait to get it on some trails. All we have here is gravel and dirt roads to ride on unless we trailer them a hour and a half away to a OHV park.
  18. LoopGaroo

LoopGaroo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If anyone has from the Chicago area is going to check this out and has extra room on a truck/trailer for me and my 640A - let me know if you want some company & gas money!!!
  19. Critic

Critic More or less!

Oddometer:
    If she has been on gravel, No problem! If worried, there are by pass routes around anything that might be a problem. We had a similar ride last fall; this was several riders first experience on this type of roads. No problem! At the end, they were all smiles!:D
  20. Varmit

Varmit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I appreciate the info. Can't wait! Now just have to decide if we drive over Saturday night or very early Sunday morning. Ether way we will see you all there.
    Thanks