1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Turn Alpha Sport trailer into a Kendon??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Rider68, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Rider68

Rider68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So I just purchased the Alpha Sport single folding trailer here:
    https://theusatrailerstore.com/alpha-sport-single-folding-motorcycle-trailer/

It seems to be a 95% copy of the Kendon:
    https://www.kendonusa.com/collectio...e-rail-ride-up-srl-folding-motorcycle-trailer

The primary difference I can see is the Kendon has caster wheels for standing it upright while the Alpha Sport does not. It was not worth the $1200+ difference for me.

Now that I have it home, I can see it doesn't quite stand upright as stable as I'd like. It works, but it rests on a metal bar and wouldn't take much of a bump to push it down. When I get around to storing it, I'll strap some hooks on the wall to keep it from falling.

When I asked the retailer why their model doesn't have wheels, they said it was because of a Kendon patent. That's one expensive patent.

That said, I wouldn't mind adding those missing features to this trailer but I'm not quite sure how, or if it's even feasible. It will probably involve welding and that might not work . The two pictures I found of the Kendon are from this forum. The one Alpha is mine. Does anyone own a Kendon trailer? Can you take some close-up pictures of the hardware it uses to stand upright? Or better yet, does anyone own the Alpha trailer and have added wheels or a stabilizer of some sort?

Kendon1
    Kendon1.jpg

Kendon2
    Kendon2.jpg

Alpha Sport "resting upright"
    Alpha1.jpg

-Robert
  2. mslim

mslim If it's worth doing... it's worth overdoing

Oddometer:
    How about two wheel dollies under the tires instead of casters? Would that work?[​IMG]
  3. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Kinda what I did for my Kendon Lift.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  4. Rider68

Rider68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Both good ideas... I think the separate lift might be a better idea for now since it's under warranty, but wondering how I could lift it onto one. It would still be cockeyed on any level surface. Looking at it more, anything I do to lift the front up more upright would take the wheels off the ground. I would need small wheels on both sides at various places to even it out. Sigh...