Turn signal issues

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Metroplex1993, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Metroplex1993

Metroplex1993 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello Gents,

Thanks for the add.

I’m currently having trouble with a bike I picked up recently, a 2000 DR650. When I bought it it had some burnt out LED lights so I didn’t think anything of it. Thought maybe I could just buy some cheap ones off eBay and install them and they would just work...boy was I wrong. When I installed the new turn signals(I replaced all 4) at first, only the left side was working and the right wouldn’t work at all. Then they all went out and I figured it might be the flasher. When I looked up how much the LED flashers were, I ditched the LED turn signals completely and bought some factory flashers with a generic 2 pin flasher I got from oriellys. And still no luck. I discovered on other threads you guys posted that maybe the indicator bulb on the dash may have been the issue, but the bulb was gone already and the end was cut off. So I bought a whole used dash with the harness and plugged that in. Still no luck. I gave up for a couple months and started back on it today, and when I unplug the harness behind the headlight, all my running lights and headlight turns off, but my blinkers work? I’m thinking maybe the bike needs some more charge on the battery before I continue, but just wanted to get some advice from you more experienced guys before I ruined it anymore.

So in short, if I unplug the harness behind the headlight (followed it up to the starter and killswitch) then the turn signals work.

Any advice you guys have for me would be greatly appreciated, I need to take my driving test on this thing and I need the signals working. Again, thanks for the add, glad I can finally be part of the community officially.

Attached Files:

2. baldman1

baldman1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Check your grounds
    Metroplex1993 likes this.
  3. Metroplex1993

Metroplex1993 n00b

Oddometer:
    I checked all my grounds with a test light that I could find. Is there a ground somewhere on the other side of that harness? I’m thinking it’s Something to do with whatever turns on the running lights whenever the key is turned. I just have no idea what I’m looking for.
  4. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Got wiring diagram and multi-meter?

The, "one side only works" symptom is common to turn signal circuits converted to LED from incandescent signals, where the OEM circuit switched polarity on the incandescent dashboard indicator bulb. The "D" in LED is for diode; juice can flow just one way in such lamps. The work-around is a sort of, "rectifier," made from diodes, so the signals respond to either current polarity. The fix is on the 'Net.

Since you've reverted to OEM circuitry (as I understand your previous posts), LED polarity ain't your present problem. Wish I could offer more than referring you to a wiring diagram and multi-meter; good luck.
  5. Metroplex1993

Metroplex1993 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks a lot. I have a multimeter layin around somewhere. Just have to print up some diagrams online
  6. baldman1

baldman1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    How do you check grounds with a test light? The grounds need to he taken off cleaned then re-attached. It's been my experience that when wired curcuits start acting weird it's usually the grounding wires somewhere.
  7. Metroplex1993

Metroplex1993 n00b

Oddometer:
    The test light requires you to complete a circuit to work. So basically, instead of hookinng the alligator clip to ground and touching a hot lead, I attach the alligator clip to the hot lead and touch the light to ground. If there’s no good ground, the light won’t come on.
  8. Metroplex1993

Metroplex1993 n00b

Oddometer:
    But also, that’s a good point, I’ll totally take the grounds off and clean them, can’t hurt anything at this point.
  9. baldman1

baldman1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That works for a low draw test light but that doesn't mean the grounds will support higher draw items. So those higher draw systems try to get their grounds from other sources which in turn makes the system act weird. Not saying this is your issue just saying it's part of troubleshooting.
  10. Metroplex1993

Metroplex1993 n00b

Oddometer:
    I can see that. I’ll definitely have to check the grounds
  11. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    and verify the polarity of the voltage at the turn signal... the frame should be ground and the signal wire should be positive. most signal stalks have 2 wires to connect into the main wire harness. I think BK with a white tracer is ground on the DR. check both the wires, and plus to frame for voltage. if that is true (and it should be) check the polarity of the LED using either your ohm scale or a special diode function. most meters have a special scale marked with a diode symbol... the other scales will not read. anyway, the reverse bias reading should be infinite, a forward bias (correct) reading should be a "diode number"... maybe as low as 400 ohms or as high as 1800 ohms. depends on the meter and the diode. but, infinity one way, continuity the other way
  12. Metroplex1993

Metroplex1993 n00b

Oddometer:
    Man, that’s a lot of info to go over. I better find that multi meter or buy another one. Thanks a lot