Turning an R9T Scrambler into a Capable GS

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Zoul, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Zoul

Zoul No Comment Supporter

Oddometer:
    I actually started this build in August, but I never really thought about posing it here, but I did take pictures.

I'll be covering things that are not a straight bolt on and need some type of modification.

Here's what I will be covering:
    - Installation of Saddlebags
    - Installation of new suspension
    - Installation of a real front fender
    - Installation of hand guards
    - Bigger fuel tank (160 miles is just too short)
    - Anything else that comes along that I want to add.

So after riding my Scrambler a bit, I find that I have no interest in riding my 14 R1200GS. To me, it's the preferred mode of travel. I've added a Sargent Seat and I have a windshield that I am working with and it seems to be working out. The only thing that is lacking is the bags.

As a winter project I decided that I was going to take a rear subframe from an Oilhead R1200GS and splice it so I could have a frame to mount bags on the bike. But because I removed the forks to have the Wilbers guts put in them, and it's going to take a couple of weeks to get them back, well, you know what they say about idle hands...

Since I had most of the parts handy, I figured Why Not? and I started working on it.

The major parts needed are a R1200GS Rear Subframe, an RnineT rear frame and saddlebags.

Lets begin!

First, here's the Donor RnineT Frame. Say hello. :wave It won't look like this for long.

[​IMG]

After a couple of cuts it's what I need.

[​IMG]

And then on the bike.

[​IMG]

Now it's time for the R1200GS frame. I am going to make initial cuts, and then reduce from there.

[​IMG]

It's important to remember to tie down anything that you want to cut. It keeps it study.

[​IMG]

First cut.

[​IMG]

Making the second cut.

[​IMG]

Now adding the bag mounts to the frame.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the bike without any frame on the back. The exhaust is from an R1200GS and is made by Hattech in Germany. He does really nice work. This exhaust has a very narrow profile that allows the bag to be close. You'll see it in later pics.

[​IMG]

Here it is with the frame set on the bike. I am just positioning it for fitment right now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After this I ended up adjusting the bags for a bit and and finally got them to where I like them. The bags are Micatech V-Pilots. They are incredible bags and they work well.

It's important to note that R1200GS Frame needs to be a 17 degree angle. That is what it is on the R1200GS.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Right now they are held in position with zip ties until my welder friend can get here to tack it up.
  2. Zoul

Oddometer:
    Now it's time to clamp it up and get it ready to weld. Which means measure, remove the bags, measure again, block everything up tight, measure again.

This is what needs to be added in RED.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Where it's RED is where a plate needs to be fabricated so it will be sturdy.

Now comes the tedious part of clamping it in place, checking the angles, measuring, adjusting. checking angles, measuring, adjusting, checking the angles, measuring, adjusting. checking angles, measuring, adjusting, checking the angles, measuring, adjusting. checking angles, measuring, adjusting.

This is the end result.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I'm ready for my buddy the welder to come by this weekend and we will get this all welded up.
    norseXL, ekimsx and Pezz_gs like this.
  3. GSAnderson

GSAnderson Wandering Swede

Oddometer:
    Cool project. :lurk
  4. Zoul

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I have added a description of what I will be doing in this thread.
  5. Zoul

Oddometer:
    So my buddy came by to do a couple of spot welds for me.

Don't look at the flash, you could hurt your eyes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dang it! Looked again!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And now he takes it back to his shop to be welded. I will see him in about a week.
    Eddy Alvarez likes this.
  6. 18415

18415 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very awesome! Keep us posted on the progress! Can't wait to see your finished build!
  7. Zoul

Oddometer:
    One of the nice things about the way that I am doing this is that I am not using any of the original parts to make this. It comes in handy when my front forks come back from Ted Porter already to go. All I had to do was reinstall the tail piece and I had a working bike.

A little bit about the suspension. It's a Wilburs Benduro and I got it from Ted Porter at the BeemerShop. It raises the suspension 70mm and I'm a little concerned about the reach, but screw it, let's get it on.

Because of the extended suspension length one of the thing that must be done is add 50mm to the sidestand per the instructions from Wilburs. That is probably the only thing in the instructions that made any kind of sense to me. As it turns out 50mm is perfect.

While installing the forks I come across the first and only issue - the front brake lines need to be lengthened.

[​IMG]

There was no mention of this in the instructions. When I called Ted, he was also unaware of it. Like I said, that is the only issue and I will take care of it in the winter.

So I take the thing out for a ride and WOW - What a difference. By looking at the pictures below, you can see quite the difference.

From a performance standpoint, the suspension has greatly exceeded my expectations.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    oldfool and 18415 like this.
  8. mike54

mike54 You don't get me

Oddometer:
    Cool project.
    You thinking of a bigger tank or aux tank?
  9. Zoul

Oddometer:
    Bigger. This one almost 6 gallons.

[​IMG]
    papavero, GSAnderson and mike54 like this.
  10. Rick G

Rick G Ranger Rick Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^^^Yummy! I loves carbon fiber!

Rick G
  11. Revolve

Revolve Useless

Oddometer:
  12. Zoul

Oddometer:
    They finally came out with this. Origionally they said that it would be coming out in November. The initial press release said that it was going to be 30 liters, which is why I did not consider it.

Unfortunately you cannot do just the tank, as it's 10mm shorter and a different shape. You need to do the whole kit. Although I did not care for the silver thingy under the seat initially, I have grown to like it and I want to keep it.
  13. Revolve

Revolve Useless

Oddometer:
    In my head, this kit + the Wilbers would be an awesome bike.
    Zoul likes this.
  14. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Damn cool bike.
  15. Rick G

Oddometer:
  16. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Partly because it is ugly?
  17. Rick G

Oddometer:

Blasphemy I say!!! :D

Rick G
    Jbrjbr21, Velocipede and mike54 like this.
  18. vagueout

vagueout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Possibility of BMW offering optional "PD" style tank in the not too distant future?? Who saw a bigger tank coming when the 1150gs was new? Options like that sell more bikes.:*sip*
  19. Scubawerx

Scubawerx Scubawerx

Oddometer:
    Nice project and imagination. Keep the reports and photos coming.
  20. Zoul

Oddometer:
    Let's get this back on track of being a build thread instead of a "what BMW should do next" thread.

I got he frame back from my buddy the welder and it turned out pretty good and fit perfectly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Eddy Alvarez likes this.