Turning off tire pressure sensor warning

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by NoMoreTrackDays, May 17, 2019.

1. NoMoreTrackDays

NoMoreTrackDays Too young for my GS, will fix in 20 years.

Oddometer:
    So, 1 month in to me getting this used 15GS, the rear sensor has dead. Which I am fine with since it is about the normal time a sensor would die.
    My question is that if I can turn the warning on the dash off? I have been on sport bikes in the past, so I have the habit to always check and adjust my pressure before a ride anyways. I don't really need an always on sensor and wouldn't mind go without it on the 15GS since I don't offroad on the bike at all.
    If the warning can't be turned off, what is the cheapest solution to replace the sensor? I am really not looking to spend 300+ for something this small.
  2. Motorius

Motorius Road trippin'

Oddometer:
  3. NoMoreTrackDays

Oddometer:
  4. Motorius

Motorius Road trippin'

Oddometer:
    Can’t personally answer that but I recalled the above thread so thought I could at least get you in a direction.
  5. NoMoreTrackDays

Oddometer:
    Look like a job that I can do. Just wounder if I can turn the annoying warning off until tire change, that's when I am planning to do the battery replacement for both front and back.
  6. Yellow Dog

Yellow Dog Wanderer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You can. With the motoscan app and the obd11mx you can get right into the code section and disable the whole thing. Well, you can on an 08 for sure
  7. path_finder

path_finder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Even if you check pressure before a ride, TPMS is nice to have. It can even b considered a safety item. I've had my TPMS warn me of falling pressure due to a puncture before the handling got bad. It gave me enough warning to get to the shoulder of the road before the tire was flat.
  8. PineyMountainRacing

PineyMountainRacing Oops....

Oddometer:
    I keep the tire pressures displayed most of the time I’m on a trip. If the pressure starts to drop I’ll get off the road and find a suitable place to trouble shoot and fix. Im over repairing tires in the direct sun on the side of the Interstate.
    gen1fizzy and path_finder like this.
  9. path_finder

Oddometer:
    If TPMS on the R1200GS works like it did on my 2011 R1200RT, the dash will automatically switch to displaying tire pressure as well as flashing a warning if the tire is rapidly losing pressure.
  10. PineyMountainRacing

Oddometer:
    ...or in the friggin dark. I lost the rear on my ZX14 several years ago on the Interstate around 5 AM. Pulled off onto the shoulder and about had the bike fall over because the side stand was too long with zero pressure in the rear tire and the slope of the shoulder. Trying to turn the fully loaded bike 180 degrees so I could leave it on the side stand. Summer in FL so already 95 degrees. Full gear, I was soaked before I even got my tools out. I ended up buying aftermarket pressure monitors but haven’t installed them since you need to use metal valves. My hips and neck are getting too stiff for long distance sport touring. The GSA is a better touring bike as my body gets older.
  11. PineyMountainRacing

Oddometer:
    at what pressure do they alert on the BMW? If I see my rear drop from 42 to 38 I’m going to be looking for a place to stop and check. On my 1190R it starts flashing in the high 20’s (for the front anyway).
  12. socalnative

socalnative Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On my '07 GSa I think the front came on at 26 and the rear at 28. I usually keep the pressures on but I don't stare at them and the times the warning came on I had deflating tires so I might not have seen the first numbers.
  13. path_finder

Oddometer:
    I really don't know but I think it isn't just the actual pressure but the rate of change. The one time I got a flashing warning, pressure was dropping about one psi per second.
    PineyMountainRacing likes this.
  14. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    NO.
  15. NoMoreTrackDays

Oddometer:
    Darn, Going to live with it for another 5k mile then.
  16. NoMoreTrackDays

Oddometer:
    Usually the system warns you if your tire is under a certain threshold, which was like 22 PSI on my 5 Series, OR if the tire drops 10% pressure in less than certain period of time, let's say 1 minutes or less. I would say the bike follow similar logic compare to their cars.