Tusk DSport Tires

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by 61rover, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Grinder

Grinder Wrong way 'round

Oddometer:
    Holy snickers...were you moving to BOLA? That’s a lot of stuff!
  2. dstutz

dstutz Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Tubliss has been on the bike for ~7K now. The spokes aren't sealed and don't need to be :). Tubliss seals from the bead up and around the tread to the other bead, everything between the tire and red liner. The spokes are outside of that. The rim tape just protects the high pressure bladder from the nipples.

[​IMG]

It was leaking from basically everywhere, several places around the bead but especially around the high pressure valve stem. I gave up for the day and ordered another tire that I've used in the past, GT723R fatty. I'm still debating if I'm gonna use them mixed or just pull the tubliss off the front and throw a tube in to use up the Tusk then switch back to the GTs after.
  3. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ok, well you missed step 2.

http://tubliss.com/tubliss/installation
  4. dstutz

dstutz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok, well you missed where I said I've been using it for over 7K miles. I didn't say I didn't use the tape, I said the spokes aren't sealed, which they're not. It's installed correctly using the supplied tape (which I was pointing out was adequate for its purpose of protecting the bladder). The part that is incorrect is using it with out of spec rims as you have on your 701. So that's why I asked if anyone with a 690 or 701 was using these tires with Tubliss.
  5. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I know. I've used them for years on 3 different bikes.. without any issues. Not only do I have an "out of spec" 701 with 6600 mi on the tubliss, I ride 2up with luggage both off-road and on road. I've used them with D606, Motoz, M360 tires. Yes, you do need the tape to seal the spokes. The bladder isn't meant to seal off the spokes. If it did, great.. but obviously you have a leaking issue.
    Either way, spray some soapy water around until you see bubbles. You'll find your problem.
    Davethestick likes this.
  6. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm running Tubliss in the rear. No problems after a couple thousand kms.
  7. dstutz

dstutz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh what width rim and with the tusk tire?
  8. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stock rear rim 2.5" on a 701E but not with the Dsport. Will try that very soon though.
  9. RMATVMC

RMATVMC RMATVMC Team

Oddometer:
    That is a good looking Himilayan @BigDogAdventures!
  10. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why thank you.
    Man these tires are going to be popular,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but maybe already are!,,,
    JRowland likes this.
  11. AJRJ

AJRJ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm new to this tire , but have 500 miles on it with tubliss so far. No issues, at all. One look at it and my friend put one on his 701 with tubliss as well, no issues either. Running the front as well, with the same tubliss system.

I'd just add, I'm very happy with this tire. Please start selling them in Canada, if possible @RMATVMC
    dstutz likes this.
  12. dstutz

dstutz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Interesting...well keep me/us posted how the front works out on the 2.15" rim with Tubliss. The rear seems good and is holding air but I did give up and remove the Tubliss and install a HD tube for the front. This was my 3rd or 4th front install with the Tubliss so it's not like I haven't done it before but it just didn't want to seal up for me this time and it didn't seem close. Thanks.
  13. AJRJ

AJRJ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Will do, could be some tire casting rubber? I haven't had trouble with the front yet it's been on three weeks and has full pressure. This is only the second front I've used after a MT 21, and I like it a lot. FWIW, my friend with the 701 has D-sport front w/ Tubliss as well, and no problems so maybe it's just a one off issue. I agree with the soap method, mark the tire and have a look.

I would just add that I do use the slime method on my Tubliss. Not to fill the tires (although there's plenty of extra) but to lube the inside of the tire bead and both sides of the red liner as I'm mounting. Messy but it works?
    dstutz likes this.
  14. Mountainman13

Mountainman13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had the Tusks with tubliss on my 690 for about 6 months now. Narrower than stock tires and I was never able to get the tire to seal completely. Always had a slow leak at the bead on the front. Tried reinstalling, tried breaking the bead and lubing, nothing worked.

Going to be switching to Motoz Rallz this week for a AZBDR trip next week and hopefully they'll seal the tubliss better.
    dstutz likes this.
  15. kitkat

kitkat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I put these tires on last night and after very short ride to the gas station and back I don't like them.

They want to keep the bike vertical when I'm leaning into a turn and I can feel the knobbys when rolling. There's a squirreliness that I not comfortable.

I weighed my factory tire with my fish scale and it's

My MT60 120/90 17 rear is only 12.5 lbs. The Tusk DSport 130/90 17 is 14.3 lbs That's 15% rotational weight increase. That will definitely affect braking and acceleration.

My MT60 90/90 19 front is 10 lbs --- Tusk DSport 90/90 19 is 8.4 lbs. Being lighter on the front is a bonus but the squirreliness is just uncomfortable to me.

I switched back to my MT60's.
  16. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 2 aren't really comparable. Take your MT60 into a deep mud puddle and it'll be the one that feels squireley. They are heavy tires though!
    (Quite often that initial sketchy feeling will lessen as the tire scrubs in and has a bit of wear to it).
    rasecarz and NickSoOr like this.
  17. GeoMoto

GeoMoto Head Flying Monkey

Oddometer:
    The taller lugs on a more off road oriented tire take some time to get used to. They will feel different on the road but will make a huge difference hooking up off road. What bike did you install the tires on?
  18. jfauerba

jfauerba Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FYI, be carefull and check that you got the right tires from RMATV. Ordered two identical 17" tires, got one 17" and one 18" but both tires sticky label said 17". Did not notice it until I went to install the tire on the rim and tire just droped in place. Lucky the other tire was correct and just mounted the 17" on the rim.
    kitkat likes this.
  19. kitkat

kitkat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Himalayan.

I know they will be a lot better off road but on-road I'm not liking how the feel.

I'm deciding if I should sell them or keep them for desert trips where I might trailer the bike in which case I'd swap the tires the night before.
    GeoMoto likes this.
  20. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:

Is it the front Dsport that makes if feel squirrelly? I thought I' had read reports of others that indicated odd handing with the front.

Also, the 130 Dsport is a larger diameter tire than your 120 MT60 (correct?) which may cause odd handling on your moto.

The 130 Dsport most likely also weighs more than the 120 Dsport rear.
    GeoMoto likes this.