Tusk DSport Tires

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by 61rover, Aug 29, 2019.

1. cwadej

cwadej Keeper of the truth

Oddometer:

.2 lbs heavier for the pair. 3.2 ounces. I dont think that would have any effect on the going or stopping
  2. kitkat

kitkat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't have experience riding this type of tire on pavement so the squirreliness is outside my comfort.

In the 17" they didn't have a 120.

When it's time to replace my tires I'll probably stick with the MT60 or something similar.
  3. kitkat

kitkat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ounces, were talking pounds!
  4. cwadej

Oddometer:
    MT60 120/90 17 rear is 12.5 lbs.
    Tusk DSport 130/90 17 is 14.3 lbs
    TOTAL DIFFERENCE 1.8 LBS (28.8 oz) tusk being heavier

MT60 90/90 19 front is 10 lbs
    Tusk DSport 90/90 19 is 8.4 lbs.
    TOTAL DIFFERENCE 1.6 LBS (25.6 oz) tusk being lighter

MT60 set weight is 22.5
    Tusk set weight is 22.7

so the actual weight gain by using the tusk over MT60 is .2lbs
    your bike gained 3.2 ounces by putting on the Tusk tires. Surely you dont actually think 3.2 ounces affects the acceleration or braking of your bike in any noticeable way
    Fast1 likes this.
  5. Jedi2Rider

Jedi2Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, it really comes down to the age-old, but very important, question: What kind of terrain are you riding on? That will determine your tire choice.

The MT60 is 60/40 street, and if that describes the rough breakdown of your riding, then there you go.

The Tusk falls in the 10/90 category, in other words a street-legal dirt tire. If you are thinking/planning/hoping/dreaming of riding more off-road, then stick with the DSports and get used to the squirrely feeling on the road. You feel the knobbies cuz dem knobbies are there! As someone mentioned above, they do need 50-100 miles to break in, but seriously, take them off road somewhere and then see how you like them. Then make your decision based on what kind of riding you mostly do.

They would be awesome on any Baja ride, so if you decide you ride mostly street, keep them for Baja!

My dos centavos!
    kitkat and HBSURFDAD like this.
  6. cnydreamr

cnydreamr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rotational weight is much different than static weight
    kitkat likes this.
  7. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Interesting comments here. I rode my DR over to a friends house last night and didn't notice anything squirrely about the tires and I ride my DR about the same as I ride my road racing bikes. And I've never once been concerned about the weight of a tire. I'm sticking with my motto...think less, ride more:D
    shinyribs, k6wee and Rusty Rocket like this.
  8. cwadej

Oddometer:
    yes, but 3.2 ounces of rotational inertia is easier to start/stop moving than any number of pounds of rotational inertia

I=1/2M(r1 squared = r2 squared)

adv needs sub and superscript.
    Tripped1 likes this.
  9. HBSURFDAD

HBSURFDAD Oops, Sorry Supporter

Oddometer:
    All the weight discussions are correct from the inertia perspective. The missing part of the discussion is the starting point for the current weight. You are comparing what is basically a road tire to what is basically a dirt tire and then saying the tusk tire is the problem.

Compare a 606 or MT21 to the tusk, that is far more appropriate for this type of discussion in this thread.

I was really bummed, my F350 really drove different from my Civic, Fords are too heavy.
    Fast1, rd400racer and dstutz like this.
  10. Swamper

Swamper Been Nowhere Done Nothing

Oddometer:
    Put a few street miles on them and you'll be more comfy.
  11. HBSURFDAD

HBSURFDAD Oops, Sorry Supporter

Oddometer:
    A "good deal" on the wrong tires for the type of riding you do is a "bad deal". I really don't like riding knobbys on the road, that squirreliness you feel is very real. I tolerate it on 2 of my three bikes for the little time i spend on pavement with them (plated dirt bikes). On my adv bike I go with a 60/40 tire like your MT60's.

There are a lot of good 60/40 options out there, these just are not part of that group. Good luck
    kitkat likes this.
  12. Despada

Despada Liquid Justice Provider

Oddometer:
    I’ve been riding with Shinko 705s on the KLR for ~20k miles doing mostly road and some gravel roads/fire roads just fine and loving it. I’ve put MT21 front and D606 rear for the short life of the front in the past and never really put it to the test like I had wanted to. Waiting on a second wheel set to arrive so I can have one road set and one off road set with alternate sprocket size chain sets to match that don’t require much chain adjustment when swapping. Ordered a pair of Tusk DSports to match all the Tusk replacements I’ve already been using including rotors, shift lever, and pegs. Finally going to put this KLR to the test, report back soon!
  13. kitkat

kitkat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My comparison is absolutely appropriate - it applies to my bike.
    Thank you for confirming the squirreliness. I'll stick with more street oriented tires for my daily use and save these for desert trips where I'll be trailing the bike.

I definitely want them off road!
    HBSURFDAD likes this.
  14. jfauerba

jfauerba Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like they are raising the price of these tires $10-$12.
  15. tridawg

tridawg Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Yeah I drug my feet and just order a set a few days ago. Got em yesterday. $115.35 for front and rear. Still not bad though.
  16. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    i hope they go out of business

:photog

Dunlop 605 will be next for me
  17. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Long timer

Oddometer:
    RR - I don't get it. Don't like the tires?

I have had mine on for 1,000 miles and so far I am a little disappointed in how they are wearing. Maybe my expectations are too high. It's too soon to tell really, but the front seems to be cupping a little early.
  18. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    I do like them, but for the price now, I'll try the Dunlop 605 and hope it's at least as good and maybe better. My buddy ran a 605 on his bike and liked it a lot. When you are retired and on a fixed income, price is important. Not to the exclusion of safety or quality, but cheaper breaks ties.
    boulet_boulet likes this.
  19. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Price has been pretty variable. These tires are always "on sale" and I have seen them fluctuate a fair amount. I bought a set in October (that I just installed on my DR) for $54.88/$59.88=$114.76 +tax and that seemed like a bargain back then. Looks like today we are looking at $49.88/$56.88=$106.76 +tax. Seems to me they were quite a bit cheaper about a month back.

I'm still not sure how I feel about the rear but I am inclined to go back to the Pirelli Scorpion Rally Dual Sport front next time, even if it is quite a bit more $ - currently $82.88.

The D605 looks good but I wonder how it will wear and also handle the mud.
    Rusty Rocket likes this.
  20. Copracer288

Copracer288 How hard can it be?

Oddometer:
    The 605 is a good tire that doesn’t get enough credit, IMO. The tread pattern isn’t nearly as aggressive as the Tusk though. The Tusk is more comparable to the 606.
    Jedi2Rider and Rusty Rocket like this.