Tusk DSport Tires

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by 61rover, Aug 29, 2019.

1. rasecarz

rasecarz on2whls

Oddometer:
    I’ve got 700 miles on a set now 50/50 use. The rear is almost half gone the front is holding up much better. I suspect I’ll get 1500 out of the rear as there will be more contact with the side knobs and more rubber in contact with surface. I’ve run 18-20 psi in tubes, no rim locks, no balancing needed. I’ll order another rear when needed. They work very well for me. The more they wear, the louder they get, it not as bad as a off road knobby, which I typically run and get 600-800 miles out of.
    2019 CRF450L
  2. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    Any one try Tusk tubes?
  3. DVD_MN

DVD_MN WR250F,CRF250L,800XC,FHLX

Oddometer:
    I put them on my CRF250l and the front is out of round. It is balanced but squirrelly on the road. Hoping it settles a bit after 100 miles on our trip next week.
  4. Romy

Romy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Put one on the front of my 690 Enduro. After 350 miles of 60/40 dirt/street, I don't like it compared to the MT21. It seems to have a mind of its own on hard pack gravel roads, especially in a turn. It wants to wobble at road speeds above 60mph. It does well enough in soft stuff and technical, rocky roots and such. I get that everything in the dualsport world is a compromise but I won't buy another one for the front. I will still try one on the rear when I'm ready
    Todd157k and boulet_boulet like this.
  5. jfauerba

jfauerba Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I only installed it on the rear and it was squirrelly but two things I think helped:
    1) lower psi from 32 to 23-25
    2) rode about 100 miles and seems to work better
    After a few hundred miles they work great on pavement and gravel. Have been up to 80mph a few times and 70mph a lot.
  6. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am in a similar place. I just ordered my go-to Pirelli Scorpion for my next front. I really liked how that handled.

I am still not sure about the rear--it seems to be disappearing more quickly than I'd have liked, so I am going back to the K270 this next time. I might be back for the D-Sport rear, but not this next round.
  7. jfauerba

Oddometer:
    Tried the K270 rear once and too squirrelly on curvy paved mountain roads due to the unsupported side knobs. The Tusks has a simular issue but not as bad. The 244 rear does not have the issue due to extra support. I do use a 244 on front with the Tusk on rear.
  8. dstutz

dstutz Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK, now that I have some miles under my belt I feel I can add to the mix and like most here I am happy with them so far. Previously I did a mixed gravel/backroad ride and they felt good. Power sliding on the gravel seemed more predictable and controlled than my GT723s. Yesterday I did a ton of sand in the Pine Barrens in NJ and again, they felt great, more confidence inspiring I'd say. I don't expect them to last as long but at 1/3 the price of a set I'm willing to try. Still need to try my other surface of shitty rocks in PA but I don't expect them to be worse there either. Still a little bummed I couldn't get the front to work with my Tubliss but others have reported success so I'll try on the next one, maybe it's just my tire or I did something wrong. Rear seems to be holding air just fine with Tubliss. I took my balancing weights off after removing the front Tubliss and didn't do anything after tossing in the tube for the front. I don't typically re-balance when I change tires with the Tubliss and just leave the weights where they were and it seems to work out ok.
  9. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’m 2,000 miles in on my first set. Front is done and just came off, maybe just a little early. Rear is holding up reasonably well.

3mm depth on low edge of front knobs,
    6mm on high edge. They wore really unevenly. Yes, they were balanced.
    0D92A22E-10BE-4BBC-BF7B-252F8985D7EB.jpeg

I’m going back to Pirelli Scorpion front. Not quite twice the price but twice the miles and performance in my opinion. I got 4,500 miles from my last one.

Jury is still out on the rear.
    thechief86 and Jedi2Rider like this.
  10. DVD_MN

Oddometer:
    Very disappointed in the rear and front. Just got back from doing the NM BDR on these. The front was was out of round and the rear has knobs starting to separate with 1800 miles on them. They were on a small bike being a CRF250L so not a high horsepower bike. Don't waste your money.

Attached Files:

11. Rusty Rocket

Oddometer:
    What air pressure did you have in the rear?
    I have beat the hell out of mine on my DR650 for the same distance with no cracking like yours. I usually use 16-18psi
    Jedi2Rider likes this.
  12. DVD_MN

Oddometer:
    22lbs
  13. Rusty Rocket

Oddometer:
  14. thechief86

thechief86 jack of all daniels

Oddometer:
    I just bought a rear to try on my KLR 650, and I'd be running it tubeless. After these reviews, I'm wondering if I'd be better off throwing it in the dumpster?
    I'm about halfway through my current rear Kenda Big Block, but I wanted a fresh rear tire before a big trip in a couple of weeks.
  15. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got a rear on my 701 and have no issues or complaints about it. Still a damn good tire for the price.
    levain, Rusty Rocket and thechief86 like this.
  16. thechief86

thechief86 jack of all daniels

Oddometer:
    Are you running a tube?
    I sealed my rear wheel and was hoping to stay tubeless, but didn't realize the tire isn't really made for it.
  17. Rusty Rocket

Oddometer:
    Same here, on a DR650. Haven't tried a Tusk front through
  18. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    No using the Tubliss system.
    thechief86 likes this.
  19. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m on my second rear, I have zero negatives on a DR650 with this tire off pavement. It’s better on pavement than it should be, at least in my mind. I run tubes. I won’t do another front, but the rear has been great.
  20. jfauerba

Oddometer:
    Rear tire on Versys-X 300, new and 2400 miles, 98% pavement, 2% gravel:
    20200624_175941.jpg
    20200624_180036.jpg
    Mr&MrsEnduro and thechief86 like this.