Tusk DSport Tires

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by 61rover, Aug 29, 2019.

1. OfirMX

OfirMX Sierras' Gatekeeper

Oddometer:
    Being a road track rider I am in the habit of trail-braking quite aggressively into the turns and that was causing uneven wear in the front when I ride in the pavement. Now I try to ride the pavement portions more gently on the DR-Z, with little or no braking before entering the corners, and that has helped a lot keeping the wear more uniform.
    AviatorTroy and thechief86 like this.
  2. Jedi2Rider

Jedi2Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the hard data pics. Very useful.

According to my calculations, at your current usage rate in another 600+ miles or so, you would reach 25% tread depth. Could ride more on pavement, but for off-road riding, some might start to consider replacement.

So, about 3000 miles, 95+% on pavement, for a DSport rear. OK, that will easily get me through the first half of the TAT.
    JRowland and thechief86 like this.
  3. thechief86

thechief86 jack of all daniels

Oddometer:
    Got my rear DSport and a tube today. I had sealed my rear wheel to run tubeless, but wanted to try this tire so the tube will go back in. I'm gonna ride a few hundred more miles on my current Kenda Big Block, then swap the rear tire before I leave for my vacation trip to Colorado.
    JRowland likes this.
  4. Jedi2Rider

Jedi2Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Look forward to your impressions after the trip.
    JRowland likes this.
  5. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    I crushed my front with aggressive road riding. I did it on purpose but it didn’t take much. When I somewhat babied it on the road it wore ok, even but not slanted. This is on a DR650 with minimal weight added over stock, your experience mirrors mine. They seem to wear evenly (front and rear at the same pace plus flat not slanted) when used somewhat sedately on pavement. I’ll be surprised to see many people be able to run 2 rears to every front regardless of riding style and pace. At the price that’s not a bad thing necessarily.
    OfirMX likes this.
  6. thechief86

Oddometer:
    I got my rear DSport mounted today, ended up deciding to give it a shot without a tube.
    It sealed and is holding air for now. Will ride a bit this week and check air pressure daily, and if it doesn't go down over a week, I'll take it out west and flog it for a couple weeks in the Rocky Mountain backcountry.
    Rusty Rocket likes this.
  7. Janus9

Janus9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Which Pirelli scorpion front tire are you using? Seems there are several different scorpion tires and most of the fronts are DOT.
  8. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Long timer

Oddometer:
  9. Janus9

Janus9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  10. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Haven’t. I don’t want to drift the thread too far, but in addition to the Scorpion, I’ve used The Dsport (meh), IRC TR8 (pretty good), Kenda K270 front (hated) and I think that’s about it, on a DR650 that does a lot of off road duty. Scorpion is my personal fave so far. It grips really well and wears admirably IMO. I think I’ve gotten 4,500 miles on mine. I had hoped the DSport would be a solid, more economical replacement, but again IMO, you get what you pay for with the front.

Edit: Im sharing my experience but I’m not an expert by any means. Lots of variables to consider.
    Janus9 likes this.
  11. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    Scorpion XCMH is a great tire. It was the go to tire on my KTM 400 (plated) and i have had them on my DR650 as well. I have since switched to the Kenda Klassic because it works very good at half the cost, but I'm gonna try the Scorpion Rally next to see if it lasts longer. I only got about 1500 miles out of the Klassic and xcmh
    Janus9 likes this.
  12. D-Rick

D-Rick n00b

Oddometer:
    So a buddy and I bought a set of these Tusk tires for our DR650's. He was running Shinko's and i was running Scorpions previously. We left for a 500 mile overnight trip and immediately noticed some bad head shake on the highway. We pulled over, adjusted pressures and continued on. It never got better, and by the end of the weekend we couldn't wait to get the fronts off. We played around with tire pressure, wheel weights (we had them professionally mounted and balanced), etc and we could never get the front to stop shaking above 60mph. I run a steering damper on my bike and its almost tolerable if I am not on grooved pavement and there is no wind, but my buddies bike is downright terrifying on the highway. He swapped the front back to a Shinko and everything improved immediately. I really really wanted to like these tires, and if I were only riding dirt they would probably be great, but for a dualsport tire I expect to have decent highway performance. I ordered a Shinko 244 front tire, and I will try to run the Tusk rear as long as it lasts. The grip in the dirt is awesome, but not worth the uneasiness on the highway.
    thechief86 likes this.
  13. TwoTrackMind

TwoTrackMind Strange Magic

Oddometer:
    Im also running these on my DR650. I’m not sure what’s going on with the above poster because mine are stable on all types of terrain. The other day I did 174 miles of freeway, paved roads, gravel, and single track without any stability issues up to 75-80 mph.
    D-Rick likes this.
  14. D-Rick

D-Rick n00b

Oddometer:
    And this is whats driving me nuts, i keep seeing people not having issues, but both of our bikes acted exactly the same. Wonder if its a batch issue? Just have never felt anything like this before.
  15. OfirMX

OfirMX Sierras' Gatekeeper

Oddometer:
    My DRZ gets dangerously wobbly and unstable above 60MPH with the Tusks. I don't mind as I live near the mountains and I never ride it at highway speeds anyway.
  16. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Huh.

My DRZ is just fine with the Tusk Dsport tires at any speed it's gone. GPS says that's 68 mph. That bike is rarely on a freeway.

I did notice a lot more vibration at the end of the last ride than I've had with these tires. Could be just my butt dyno noticing it one day when it usually doesn't.
  17. Copracer288

Copracer288 How hard can it be?

Oddometer:
    I have them on my 450L and they have been fine so far at highway speeds. I do only have about 100 miles on them.
  18. D-Rick

D-Rick n00b

Oddometer:
    Just got a Shinko 244 for the front to replace my tusk. I am going to leave the tusk rear on and see how it feels. My buddy did this with his and the shake went away immediately. I am throwing mine on this weekend and I will report back. Perhaps their newest batch has an issue. I did speak with Rocky Mountain and they told me they would warranty the tire. Their customer support was great.
    Mr&MrsEnduro likes this.
  19. jfauerba

jfauerba Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been using Shinko 244 on front for past 10,000 miles (not the same one) and Tusk on rear for 2,500 miles with no issues. Last 244 was very out of balance for some reason.
  20. thechief86

Oddometer:
    I'm running a Kenda Big Block in front, and a Tusk DSport with no tube on a sealed rim on my KLR. So far I've ridden about 1100 miles around Colorado in the last 4 days, a little more than half of it off pavement, and some actual off-road. It is holding up well, both as far as wear, and holding air without the tube. I've gotten up to 80mph with my 250lb arse and another 60ish lbs of gear, gotten airborne a few times, and clawed my way across Imogene Pass, as well as several others, and the tires were never what was holding me back.
    They also feel pretty good at speed on pavement, although a tad noisy, but that doesn't bother me. 20200709_120040.jpg 20200709_120134.jpg
    JRowland likes this.