Tusk DSport Tires

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by 61rover, Aug 29, 2019.

1. 300man

300man Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What tire pressure are you guys running that have NOT had issues at 60+mph? Thanks.
  2. 300man

300man Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Chief enjoy the ride!! Have a good friend in Denver so will be out that way with the bikes before to long.
    thechief86 likes this.
  3. tricky.

tricky. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just finished ~2000 miles on these doing OR, ID and NV backcountry on my DR650. Great tire. Probably 20-30% pavement, the rest dirt. My rear is totally done and the front has a little left. My buddy who is 50lb lighter and easier on the throttle probably has another 500 miles left in the tire. Great grip in mud, dirt and snow. No issues. Tried running ~30 psi street ~25psi dirt. I stopped running low PSIs in the dirt a while ago because I had a tendency to get punctures more often on the fat DR. But on the trip I had no flats, no shake issues, way more grip than the Shinko 700s I run when i want a better street tire. They are a bit wobbly on the pavement when new or cold but still pretty confidence inspiring considering how aggressive the pattern is. However a TKC on the road it is not. For the money these are my go to tires as it makes the DR capable of going pretty much anywhere.

My buddy ran the same tire and picked up a nail. Despite the stiff sidewall a trail side repair was actually pretty easy getting the tube in and out. The bead did not reseat with the handpump, but was pretty close, and seated within a couple of miles down the road.
  4. thechief86

thechief86 jack of all daniels

Oddometer:
    I'm a heavy dude with a lot of gear, running 36 in the back and 30 in the front, on and off road.
  5. jfauerba

jfauerba Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm running 25psi on rear. When new, 32-34psi was too much and was squrrly. Have Shink 244 on front.
  6. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    18 and 19 psi. As I said above, no trouble at 68 mph.

Mine's on a DRZ for day trips of 50/50 pavement/dirt. Another response above is for a KLR on a trip out of state. They're naturally going to use different pressures.

Bike not only suggests what pressure to use, but could make a big difference in how stable they are above 60 mph too. (EDIT: Bike and load, not just bike)
    300man and thechief86 like this.
  7. OfirMX

OfirMX Sierras' Gatekeeper

Oddometer:
    20 rear, 18 front.
  8. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    Wow to all those tire pressures.
    I only have the Tusk on the rear of my DR650 and I run 14psi. Just did 190 miles today on mixed dirt, gravel and tar. I ride it like I stole it. I run the Kenda D257 Klassic DOT knobby in front at the same pressure.
    No flats in approximately 750 miles so far
    boulet_boulet likes this.
  9. 300man

300man Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Right, understood. I like low tire pressure myself...based on your response and others I'll try 22 F/R unloaded and air down slowly over the first few rides. Plan on 60/40 dirt/tar for the first big ride. Thanks.
  10. 300man

300man Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So at 14 PSI, when on tar at 60 mph + no issues?
  11. Rusty Rocket

Oddometer:
    No issue. I ran as high as 75mph at one point. We did a section of US421
    Between Mountain City and Shady Valley, TN. (check that out on Google maps "The Snake as it's known locally)
    And no squirrellyness on those hard leans either. Very narrow "chicken strips" as well.
    I really like and trust this tire on the rear.
    Probably gonna pair it with the Pirelli Scorpion Rally up front next.
    boulet_boulet likes this.
  12. oldoval

oldoval Energy Vampire

Oddometer:
    I mounted a set of these on a KTM 530 for a friend recently. Tubliss. I can't recall ever dealing with a tire as stiff as these. Before I spooned them on I was joking around and could easily use the rear as a stool... no problem supporting my 180 pounds. The rear mounted pretty easily, the front less so, took more grunt than I'm used to to get the last bit of bead over. Curious about weight on these too, they seemed very heavy but I forgot to throw them on a scale.

13. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    19 psi for me on a DR650, I’ve ridden with Rocket and if he’s getting away with 14 I’m gonna do the same. I’m an aggressive twisty pavement rider and I run 80 MPH on Interstate 40 through a very curvy section of the NC mountains to get back and forth to my “backyard” woods. I have zero issues with this rear tire either, in any situation I’ve put it through.
  14. Rusty Rocket

Oddometer:
    upload_2020-7-12_9-21-29.png
    The Snake
  15. 300man

300man Adventurer

Oddometer:
    FedEx truck dropped them off today...they are a hard rubber compound for sure. Going to let them sit out in the sun for a while on the day I spoon them on.
    thechief86 likes this.
  16. socaldrrider

socaldrrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just finished a 700 mile ride 50% road including fwy and 50% gravel double-track with some sandy sections on my Husky 701. 90/90-21 front and 130/90-18 rear with Tusk Heavy Duty Tubes. Ran 16/18 front/rear in dirt and 26/28 on the street.

Wear seems minimal so far. There is definitely some humming on the street but that's to be expected with this tread. Super stable on the street.

While the rear hooked up nicely and was very predictable, the front seemed to wash out much earlier than I'm used to in the dirt. I think I'm going to swap out the front for something else in the future and stick with the same rear tire.
    levain, JRowland, thechief86 and 2 others like this.
  17. Woodyxr

Woodyxr WoodyXR

Oddometer:
    Put a rear on my 500exc and took it for a 30 mile ride yesterday evening. Felt good on asphalt and gravel forest service roads. Looking forward to putting some miles on it this weekend doing the SM500.
    Rusty Rocket and thechief86 like this.
  18. thechief86

thechief86 jack of all daniels

Oddometer:
    My rear DSport is doing great! I've got close to 2k miles on it, and it still looks great! A little rock rash here and there, but nothing concerning.
    I've been riding all pavement the past few days, and my front Kenda Big Block has accelerated its wear like crazy, but the DSport is doing great. I think I may have found the rear tire I'm gonna run on my KLR from now on. I may go back to the Shinko 804 front, since it works well and wears like iron.
    JRowland likes this.
  19. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is pretty much my experience with these tires on my 690. I watched a video recently with Dave from Adventure Spec about how he hasn't had a flat since 2003 (?) and listened carefully. One of his pieces of advice is to always run at the top end of recommended psi. I hate fixing tires on the side of the road more than losing a little traction, so I've been quite happy at 26/28. I've done around 1500 miles of dirt roads, rocky rutted out mud tracks and pavement. roughly 60/40 dirt to pavement. We'll see how they hold up long term, but Im happy so far for the price. For the front that went on before this last long weekend, I spent $82 on the tusk tire changer and their curved spoon. Holy hell, why did I wait so long!?
  20. D-Rick

D-Rick n00b

Oddometer:
    I put a 244 back on the front and went for a ride yesterday. The death wobble was unnoticeable compared to what it was a couple weeks ago. I left the Dsport on the rear. Overall the combo was good. I love the way the rear hooks up in the dirt. I think im going to send my front back to Rocky Mountain. Im thinking when the rear wears out im just going to plunk down the money on a set of TKC 80's.