Tusk DSport Tires

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by 61rover, Aug 29, 2019.

1. 300man

300man Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Coming from a dirt bike background I have ridden Dual Sport events and Enduros all over the North East. Many tar sections and some at highway speeds with unbalanced full knobby front and rear. This is at under 10 PSI F/R...without issue. No I would not want to do 200 miles of tar with them. But I can't imagine these Tusk tires being such a handful?

I will report back my findings after the first few rides. Hoping for the best.
    Jedi2Rider and Mr&MrsEnduro like this.
  2. D-Rick

D-Rick n00b

Oddometer:
    Good Luck. Seems like some people love them, and others get the wobble. Let us know how they work out for you.
  3. 300man

300man Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well went to spoon on the tires today and found wimpy thin tubes. So had to order a HD 17 for the rear, nobody local had one in stock. While I was at it ordered a rim lock for the rear. Ride report delayed...
  4. thechief86

thechief86 jack of all daniels

Oddometer:
    So far my rear DSport is still holding air great without a tube, and just a sealed rim.
    I've ridden about 1500 miles on it now, about half on road and half off, from gravel all the way to some of the gnarliest terrain I've ever ridden on this bike. So far I am very happy with this rear tire.
    Attached are pics of some rock damage acquired while offroad in the Rockies.

20200715_121242.jpg 20200715_121245.jpg 20200715_121252.jpg
    JRowland likes this.
  5. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    I have about 1500 miles on my 18" 130/80 rear tire. You can also see from the chicken strips, that I trust it on tar. It's probably 2/3 used up.
    IMG_20200717_123430272.jpg
    thechief86, JRowland and 300man like this.
  6. Mr&MrsEnduro

Mr&MrsEnduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    Posted too many pics in my last post and deleted. Not sure what the heck happened.

Anyways.. new to the D Sport scene. Been wanting to try them for a while. Been a D606 fan in the past which not much of a chicken strip on them so I’m hoping these will be a nice replacement. True dual sport use. 30 mile commute to work most days and trail ride in a rocky coal mine on most weekends. Installed on a DR650. Will report back with my experience.

IMG_2738.jpg
    IMG_2739.jpg
    IMG_2737.jpg
    Jedi2Rider likes this.
  7. jfauerba

jfauerba Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got 3,500 on my rear tire now, mostly pavement. Still have knobs left but they are getting short. I assume I have at least 500 more miles on them, maybe even 1000 until I need to replace it. I figure in 500 miles it will be just a good/bad as a Shink 705 in gravel.
    Janus9, thechief86 and Mr&MrsEnduro like this.
  8. Woodyxr

Woodyxr WoodyXR

Oddometer:
    Put a rear on my 500excf last week and did the SM500 over the weekend. I'm pleased with results as it worked good in gravel, dirt, and on the road. I rode it like I stole it and used about 1/4-1/3 of it. For the money I'm happy getting 1500 or so miles. Cheers!
    Rusty Rocket and thechief86 like this.
  9. 300man

300man Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Finally got both Tusk DSport tires mounted up on my KLR today. Decided on 20 PSI cold F/R for the first scrub in. Rode about 40 miles with them on tar back roads and a couple of short dirt roads. The back tire did everything I asked of it, no drama handled everything well. The front in the first few miles on 45MPH twisty backroad was a little grabby...what i mean by that is when riding on slightly cracked seam in the road it gave ma a little feedback in the way of a minor twitching in the bars. Not concerning at the time but there at the same time. After about 10 miles this went away. Did not feel it again for the rest of the ride. At 55 - 60MPH the bike was stable (as it was with the Michelin T63 tires)

I am about to leave for a LONG multi day ride in a couple of days. I will give a full evaluation of the tires when I get back.
  10. 300man

300man Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This thread may have run it's course but here is one more review.

Headed out on a 2K mile journey with the Tusk Dsport tires F/R at 20 PSI cold on a 2006 KLR650 with about 30 pounds of cargo. I weigh 195 without gear and have many years of dirt bike experience. The tires were recently mounted and scrubbed in with about 100 miles on them.

The ride was 8 days on the NEBDR doing all the more technical off road sections. As mentioned in the above post this is a very hard rubber compound tire with a very stiff carcass. The grabby almost twitchy feedback in paved road cracks and seams showed itself again as the road surfaces became worse. This was a distraction at times but avoiding these long parallel cracks is probably what most riders would do? On day 3 we went into October Mountain SF in MA and I aired down to 16PSI front and rear knowing that ruts/mud/rocks were on the menu. This seemed to be the upper limit of this tires sweet spot as far as pressure is concerned in technical off road riding. They handled the trail junk better at this pressure with better grip and less deflection. Upon exiting October mountain still at 16 PSI and back on pavement I noted that the grabby tendency on cracked pavement was greatly reduced. I know this may sound counter intuitive but IMO this tire preforms it's best at lower tire pressure. As the ride continued into Vermont and class 4 unmaintained roads (fairly gnarly trail conditions for a ADV bike) I went to 14 PSI and never went back until the 400 mile return trip all on pavement. Even at 14 PSI on pavement 55 - 60 MPH on twisty road sections was trouble free. This of course was my experience on my trip and my bike so use the PSI that you feel safe with for your machine and riding conditions.

Wear: After 2048.2 miles the rear tire still looks good with no chunking and looks to have at least another 1000 miles of reliable service left. The front tire is much more worn and started to loose traction in softer sandy sections at about the 1400 mile mark. However continued to offer good traction on dirt roads and pavement till the end of the journey.

I would buy this Combo again...but also want to try other tires being new to the ADV sector and my preference for a softer compound tire off road.
  11. thechief86

Oddometer:
    Post some wear pics!
  12. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is helpful. I have been running a set this season and have been impressed with the rear, which I currently have 4,100 miles on, on a DR650. My sense is that I could get to 5,000 miles with the rear safely.

The front only gave me 2,007 miles before I felt it was done. The knobs disappeared quickly into small slopes and washed out easily on most surfaces. I probably could have gotten another 500 pavement miles on it, I guess, but off road it was done.

My conclusion is combining the D-Sport rear with a Pirelli Scorpion Rally front (which is what I am running since I wore out the D-Sport front) is a good match. In fact, I just reordered that combo yesterday.
  13. 300man

300man Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OK a newb at the picture thing...can I drag and drop from my computer? Or does it have to be hosted with IP address?
  14. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Upload the pic and then place as a full image or thumbnail into a post.
    thechief86 likes this.
  15. thechief86

Oddometer:
    Just click on "Upload Pic or GPS Track" on the bottom right of the reply box, then find your pics in your computer and click open.
  16. salty_monk

salty_monk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone ever spoon a set onto an F800GS Adventure? There is nothing bigger than a 130 profile for the 17"... I'm worried that might be too narrow for the 4.25" rim. :)
  17. bwringer

bwringer Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer:
    Hi Salty! How you doin'? :beer

By comparison, the KLR650 has a 2.5" rear wheel and takes a 130/80-17 rear tire. 130 tires work fine on somewhat wider wheels, up 3" or so, but I suspect you're going to get pretty weird results with a 130 stretched sideways on a 4.25" rear wheel.

It looks like stock on an F800GS is 150/70-17.

There's always some wiggle room in tire/wheel sizing, of course, but overall this seems like a larger jump than I'd be comfortable with. The Shinko 705 or 805 are the next cheapest in the correct size, but still cost a good bit more.

Then again, maybe there's some crusty old demon of dirt out there who's spooned a 130 knobby onto an F800GS and it works just fine. But theory seems to work against the idea.
  18. salty_monk

Oddometer:
    The only reference I’ve been able to find to someone who’s done it is this guy.

https://ua-cam.com/video/WPV2fuaatLQ/learning-to-ride-your-bike-bmw-f800gs.html

It doesn’t look awful on the rim, maybe a bit stretched...

He says there is a group of them using it although he also says the traction control doesn’t like it very much.

across the blocks the 130 tyre measures at least 140 (I have an 18” version mounted on a Husky 701 wheel in the garage right now, think that’s a 2.5 rim same as the KLR from memory. :)
  19. Textanker

Textanker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I took my 2014 KTM 500 EXC out with these a few weeks back and brought the pressure down to 10 and 10. I am a big guy but I dont ride super aggressively. I did about 3 hrs on twisty singletrack and a little hardpack dirt road. I put the bike back on the carrier and took it to the house. After I washed it I noticed that the front tire looked almost flat, but I figured that it was just the low pressure. Well, when I tried to air up the front the next day to run down the street for a pressure wash, what do you know but the stem had ripped off the tube, and I NEVER EVEN NOTICED on the trail. So what that means is that it you do have a flat, these things are stiff enough that you can make it back to somewhere if you had to. Not saying I would run it at highway speeds, but I could keep the speed down and get somewhere for a recovery if I had to. Very cool.
    dstutz, JRowland, Despada and 4 others like this.
  20. salty_monk

Oddometer:
    Given the price of them... I think I'm going to order a set & see how they go. I can always throw something else on the back if I'm not happy with it once fitted :)
    Jedi2Rider likes this.