Tusk DSport Tires

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by 61rover, Aug 29, 2019.

1. earz

earz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I haven’t check head bearings, but will put it on the list. I did not balance them because I figured there was no point being knobbies, but I can try to see if that helps.

The bike just rolled over 900 miles. I’ve put just over 300 of those miles on it since I bought it last month. It is a 2008 that sat for a long time.

In the 300 miles I’ve put on it, I’ve noticed that it was a bit twitchy compared to everything else that I’ve ridden (lots of sport bikes, cruisers, my Vstrom, vintage street bikes, etc). Maybe these tires just amplify whatever issue is there. Maybe suspension geometry? The fork caps are right at the top of the top triple. Maybe the forks need to slide up in the triple clamps a bit?
  2. dstutz

dstutz Long timer

Oddometer:
    @earz, dunno about your 690 but my 701 has the tubes sticking up a little bit. There's a couple rings showing. But I know our suspensions are different so don't take that as gospel. Is your sag set correctly?
  3. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Really? A 120 must be tiny on a 690!
  4. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    You can adjust the rake on the '08 690. Also, like dstutz mentioned you can move the tubes up or down which can help with stability. And get your sag set up right.
  5. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    I like the way they handle. I love having bikes that turn in fast.
    Yinzer Moto and Bultaco206 like this.
  6. earz

earz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a 2008 Suzuki DR650. I do need to reset the sag now that I put a larger fuel tank on it.
  7. Romy

Romy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    130 is the only option for people running D606, I believe.
  8. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Got a T63, which will probably be the last one I'll ever lay my hands on. :(
  9. dsmonstar

dsmonstar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Put another 200 miles on mine, mostly asphalt and gravel. Still happy, other that a little sketchy on a small section of freeway that I opted to do. My windscreen sucks so bad I was barely focused on the tires during that part though. Ha. I see no issues with these tires yet! 20190914_115431_HDR.jpg
  10. dsmonstar

Oddometer:
    Just realized it's YOU. Hey buddy
    After watching your video on FB, that is suer sketchy. Post it here for more technical help. He has a badddd wobble start at high 60s/70 mph after thr new tires.
  11. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    Please post the video
  12. Wanderinggeezer

Wanderinggeezer n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm putting a set of these on my DRZ, hoping they do well.
  13. dsmonstar

Oddometer:
    He figured it out, the steering /head bearing was loose. It was sketchy. All fixed now.
    Jedi2Rider and Snake Oiler like this.
  14. TwoTrackMind

TwoTrackMind Strange Magic

Oddometer:
    I put on 126 dual-sport miles today. Terrain included pavement, gravel, sand, dirt, and even some rocks. Tire pressure was at standard DR650 psi, 22 front, 25 rear. I was very happy with how the tires performed in all of these conditions. I previously had a TKC80 front/Shinko 244 rear combo and the Tusk tires had a little more sound and vibration but they were not unpleasant. Hopefully they hold up but time will tell. Right now I would not hesitate to recommend them, especially at their current price.
    upload_2019-9-19_21-5-13.jpeg
  15. makotosun

makotosun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Update: Ride Report in Tusk Dual Sport Tires

I got to spend 695 miles with a set of the brand new Tusk DS tires in SE Utah this past week. 1998 DR with Plex valves and Cogent Stock Rebuild rear (via Procycle). About 200 on tarmack, the balance on sand, gravel, and rock ledges. 20 lbs tire pressure F/R.

Impressions: at first a tad squirrelly at speed on pavement but settled down nicely after maybe 100 miles. Excellent hookup on everything except marbley gravel over asphalt. Smooth on pavement with a bit of whine over 45.

Front tire handling mirrors a D606. You will like/dislike these in whatever way you like/dislike them.

Wear was indistinguishable from my friend’s D606 (both brand new to start). See my comparison tread depth (only my photos below.

Conclusion: a very decent, inexpensive alternative for a D606. I will buy these again at 1/2 the cost of the Dunlop (of which I am a big fan!).

6EEBF5F4-1FF7-4A38-8CAD-9944F1983564.jpeg C16F8D01-33E8-402E-BFB7-F8AE13FC3B1C.jpeg
  16. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Just ordered a set for my 690. I don't think I've ever used a D606 on the front of any bike. On the rear I never got more than 1K miles. For the price the Tusks are going for, I can live with that kind of mileage. For the price the D606's go, not so much. :lol2
  17. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    So what's the latest on the rear after some miles? I'm going to need a rear real soon for the 501 and not sure if I want to try one of the TUSK or stick with the Kenda Parker DT
  18. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    So is the front a winner no matter what?
    Better than a MT21 or 606 in dirt and still decent on paved?
  19. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Anyone run the front yet on a AT?
    TriumphRTO likes this.
  20. nefiii

nefiii Who is this cat?

Oddometer:
    Hello Gents!

I'm monitoring this thread to learn about Tusk Dsport longevity. Could you keep us updated on how the tires wear over time? I'm interested in total mileage. I'm on a KLR that's been chewing up 606s like they're well marbled steaks. The 606 has been my tire of choice thus far, but this could be my new favorite.

Thanks... Ride safe.