Tusk DSport Tires

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by 61rover, Aug 29, 2019.

1. nefiii

nefiii Who is this cat?

Oddometer:
    Hello all!

I've been monitoring this thread, interested in the Tusk Dsport longevity. Could you keep us updated on how the tires wear over time? I'm interested in total mileage. I'm on a KLR that's been chewing up 606s like they're well marbled steaks. The 606 has been my tire of choice thus far, but this could be my new favorite.

Thanks... Ride safe.

1573831084597.jpg
    Geschift likes this.
  2. singletrak

singletrak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been watching for the 120/90x18, it seems like it is always out of stock and the arrival date keeps getting pushed out! Oh well, winter is here I guess I can wait. I plan to mount up the 120/90x18 rear on my WR250R along with a Shinko MX216 front. This set up will replace the T63 rear (old stock) and Shinko 546 front..
    TriumphRTO likes this.
  3. climberevan

climberevan planning the next journey

Oddometer:
    I have about 600 miles on a front Tusk adventure ds tire on my 630. The edges have just barely started to round. I've been running it between 11-14 psi Tubliss. Most of the miles have been on dirt with a camping load. I've ridden everything from loose sand to rock crawling sections, along with some very twisty asphalt.

I like the tire a lot. It's not as ridiculously grippy as a Goldentyre Fatty off road, but nothing is. The Shinko 216, btw, is not an alternative to the GT. Shinkos start losing side knobs at 500mi, while the GT will perform past 3000. I've not run anything more pavement tilted than the Tusk on this bike.

On rocks and solid dirt the tire is good. When it gets really loose and sandy it pushes a bit more than a real knobby. It's surprisingly good on hatdpack roads with a little loose crap on top. That has always been an Achilles heel for me, but I have more confidence in the Tusk than others.

It's great on pavement. I can lean over completely onto the edge knobs and it doesn't do the unsettling wiggle that knobbies do. It's a blast in the curves.

If it lasts well I'll be really happy to have found my tire. I'll definitely try the rear.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T707A using Tapatalk
  4. cheeseberger

cheeseberger n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello All

I'm going to run the Dsport in a 130/90-18 on my Husaberg for my pilgrimage to Baja. Anybody know what size Nitro MOUSSE fits? Matt at NuTech didn't know yet.

Thanks

cheeseberger
  5. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Tusk is just RM ATV house brand.
    There is no separate Tusk company in addition to RM ATV.

RM ATV has been producing parts and gear under their own house brand for years and now they have tires and luggage. I suspect RM ATV will produce most every thing they sell at some point under the Tusk brand in addition to all the other mfg they sell. They sell our maps but don't expect a Tusk brand of maps :-)

RM ATV wants to be the major player in the supply industry...this has been building for the last 10 yrs. Not much different that Cycle Gear and their house brands. Since CG owns RevZilla I wonder if one day RevZilla will have it's own high end house brands? Any thing can be mfg at any quality and price point these days.

Tusk stuff is most often Taiwanese produced from higher end mfg. Not much different than alot of mfgs stuff...produced somewhere in Asia.
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  6. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Can RM ATV give you some internal dimensions?
  7. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I suspect Shinko will respond with a tire beyond the 244 & 700 and not the 804/805.

I explained to several Shinko reps how they need a more aggressive 244/700 dot dual sport tire. The 244 rear lasts but is not agressive enough. The 700 is more aggressive but the rear life is bad. The 804/805 are more big block vs aggressive dual sport.

I've tried them all and the Shinko reps were very open to my thoughts and inputs.

I'd say RM ATV laid down the gauntlet with this tire what can be built and at what price.
    Competition is a good thing.
  8. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone with more current mileage comments?

:ricky
  9. LordMorgan

LordMorgan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a couple hundred miles on a set. They are D606's but half the price
    Bayner likes this.
  10. funtimexpress

funtimexpress Heading south...

Oddometer:
    I might be of some help here. Started my rtw trip last month and wanted a good knobby for Baja (I live in San Diego so Baja was day 1) I had a new mt21 front so only picked up the rear. However, my traveling friend did buy the front and rear. So I can comment on what I feel from the rear, and what I see from the front.

The rear: have just shy of 4k miles on it now. felt sketchy on California highways with the rain cut grooves, but that's the case for the d606 when it's new. Could have also been some growing pains with my luggage/weight distribution. Tough to say, I purged some weight day 1 and it did seem to improve. When leaning into a turn it feels like you're leaning over on a brick, you can feel the edges tip over, if that makes any sense. Once the knobs wore down some this feeling went away. Behaves much better on the road after a couple thousand miles. Great in the dirt, feels like a half price d606.

What I see in my buddies front: has worn much faster than my mt21. Think my friend will need to replace both his tires soon, while I can keep running the mt21 for maybe another 2k. He says he likes the tire though and no big complaints about it's performance.

All said and done, I'd get another if I could get my hands on it in southern Mexico for 50 bucks. Contacted Rocky mountain about international shipping but I haven't discussed prices with them. Probably going to be a depressing number. IMG_20191222_083109.jpg IMG_20191222_083119.jpg IMG_20191222_083138.jpg
    Jedi2Rider, norton73, Dao1 and 3 others like this.
  11. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    What bike are you folks running? So we have a weight idea.
  12. funtimexpress

funtimexpress Heading south...

Oddometer:
    Dr650s. Prob 60lbs of gear on the back. Found the gulf of Mexico yesterday: IMG_20191221_112603.jpg
  13. LordMorgan

LordMorgan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    These are heavy tires, probably 15lbs for a rear. Not recommended for a 250 dual sport, would probably be fine for a 650 thumper or larger
  14. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Or maybe somewhere between 250 and 650.

Currently I have Shinko 505 Cheater Hybrid on my DRZ400 and Dirt Bike Test says my rear tire is 15.8Lbs (120/100-18). I don't have a scale but know it's a big, heavy tire for a 120.

I'm very interested in the Dsport although the size I need has been out of stock for months.
    boulet_boulet likes this.
  15. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    I have one now on the front, but no input yet it's only about 50 miles so far. I'm running a tubliss system with 10 psi on my 501. Seems to be hooking up and the sidewalk is plenty stiff in the new state. But actually was curious for my X Challenge in the future.
  16. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    These are on sale right now for $49 at rmatv for the 130/90/18 rear (the widest size) which is so cheap I am going to give them a try.
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  17. pegbeater

pegbeater Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just bought a rear because of the sale price. I still running a Shinko 700 series on the rear that is fairly new. Really good on tarmac and gravel roads, not so much in sand or shale. It was also a cheap replacement for Mitas E07 for the winter. Can’t wait to get some miles on the Tusk tires. 4K miles sounds good to me!

BTW, I’m on an aprilia 650, so a little larger bike as well
  18. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I ran a Shinko 700 and found the rear mileage was poor on my DR. Tried a Shinko 244 rear next. Better grip and longer mileage. Better $ than buying a 606. 244 is a solid 50/50 tire but this Tusk looks more agressive for I think the same $
  19. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    So are we getting more rear mileage #s yet?
  20. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    In the 120-18" size?
    What does a 120-18" 606 weigh to compare weights? My WR250R does just fine with a 120-18" 606 out back. I'm looking at these tires for my next f&r tires for this bike.