Tutorial for creating Map on Garmin GPS (Nuvi 205)

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by PBOB, Sep 10, 2014.

1. PBOB

PBOB MOTO NUT

Oddometer:
    Alright, I have finally figured out how to use my simple Garmin Nuvi GPS (basically a $100 car gps) for plotting maps of any GPX file....
    Everyone said it was impossible to use this GPS for offroad trail mapping..

So before I forget, here is how I got all the BDR routes on my el-cheapo Garmin that belongs to my wife :eek1

more to follow....

FYI-----u must have a gps with a micro SD card!
  2. PBOB

PBOB MOTO NUT

Oddometer:
    here is what we want to see....
    th cobdr
    the utbdr
    the wabdr
    the azbdr
    all at one time, on one map. all we gotta do is follow the yellow (err blue) brick rd
    [​IMG]

of course you'll have to zoom in to see trail detail.

---fyi- I have not actually riden these trails from this gps. but all points were from BDR webpage.
  3. PBOB

PBOB MOTO NUT

Oddometer:
    first,
    go here and download this
    http://www.javawa.nl/imgfromgpx_en.html

also, you will need to download basecamp to see your BDR routes, or at least you should verify the points the webpage gives you, and this is the best way to verify what the GPX file map looks like. (I assume you know how to use basecamp, not hard)

heres what IMGfromGPX looks like-just go ahead and install the free download

[​IMG]
  4. PBOB

PBOB MOTO NUT

Oddometer:
    go to this website and start downloading the trail you want (or you can download any gpx file you want--whatever tickles ur pickle)
    you want to save these files to ur desktop. u may have to extract and unzip the files--at least that's what I did, then I saved them in an unzipped folder. name, make sure u can find it later....
    http://www.backcountrydiscoveryroutes.com/COBDR

[​IMG]
  5. PBOB

PBOB MOTO NUT

Oddometer:
    ok, now that u have both IMGfromGPX and BDR gpx files, u r ready...
    open IMGfromGPX
    open your folder of BDR gpx files
    and drag and drop into IMGfromGPX
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

now, u should read IMGfromGPX instructions some.... but basically- put POI column to "skip". then put color on each track/map---again, what ever floats ur boat
    and then click create map---make sure u check "include gmapsupp"
    the pic below is just a picture of one line item---but on my actual one---I had all 4 trails listed...
    [​IMG]
  6. PBOB

PBOB MOTO NUT

Oddometer:
    get out you micro sd card and adapter.
    plug it in computer.
    THEN, CREATE A FOLDER IN YOUR SD CARD "garmin" (this is a must, not sure why)......

Now, open up the file/map folder thing u just made with IMGfromGPX.
    I named mine "ALL BDR"

Open up you SD card device in your "my computer" if it doesn't automatically pop up.

put these two screens side by side for some drag and drop action :evil
    "SD CARD DEVICE" ----<<into<<----New map file thing u created"
    Now only drag and drop the img files --INTO the "garmin" file on your SD CARD
    . u'll know which ones they are bc they have a little gray globe beside them.
    NOTE---you will have to search the folders for those IMG files. they aren't all in one place. just drag and drop them, all of them. don't worry about which ones- just do all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. PBOB

PBOB MOTO NUT

Oddometer:
    now once all the IMG/sup whatever gray globe files are on the sd card, just unplug it and put it in you NUVI or similar garmin.

then go to settings and hit the maps logo

[​IMG]

then hit map info to see if you custom map is there....

[​IMG]

wahhlaahh!

[​IMG]

feedback welcome...
    I looked all over here and else where to figure this out from one place with no luck.

I know there are some others out there who do not want to buy a new gps- and would like to have preloaded map to make sure their on right course.

for me this will work fine, bc- i'll mount it on my handlebar with an ipod handlebar mount that is weather proof and just follow the line.
  8. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    Cool. Thanks for sharing how to do this.
  9. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great info. Thanks.

I didn't see where you actually USED Basecamp. You said to use it to check the downloaded BDRs to verify they were what you want. That makes me think I can use any of the other GPX file viewiers instead?
  10. PBOB

PBOB MOTO NUT

Oddometer:
    Probly...I no gpx gps expert. Learning as I go.
    In basecamp u edit the gpx file if u want. Then map it...it's free to.
  11. NorthernTraveler

NorthernTraveler Long time Adventurer

Oddometer:
  12. PBOB

PBOB MOTO NUT

Oddometer:
    This may have been useful before I started cursing my life :baldy:baldy

Great write up... Great for all of us who want to save a little $ and not buy big $$$ gps
  13. John Dirt

John Dirt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just successfully moved an (off-road) East Texas track to my NUVI 205 using a Mac with OS X. I bought the GPS at a garage sale for $20. I don't know how well it will work on my trip, but I will use it and see. I am surprised at how long the battery lasts. Let's see how well it handles vibration and dust.

Thank you
  14. PBOB

PBOB MOTO NUT

Oddometer:
    Let us all know how it works out!
    I going to put mine in one of those handlebar mounted iPod cases, nuvi fits in perfect
  15. PBOB

PBOB MOTO NUT

Oddometer:
    I tried out my nuvi this past 2 weekends offroad.....

Worked really great.
    I have a battery tender cable on battery, so I got an adapter to run it to a cig outlet for GPS. I mounted the GPS with a iphone handlebar mount, which fits perfectly. Could touch GPS screen through case too.

As far a functionality, perfect. Only issue was every once in a while on real bumpy roads the cig outlet would un- seat. I just pushed it in periodically even if it was still pulling charge.

Also, the nuvi will track ur route as u ride and show it on screen. Meaning if u turn off the wrong way- u can easily follow the way back. And the gps shows all the routes not just A track. So u can have multiple tracks and routes all intersecting etc...
    We rode parts if the TEt, brt, sugar grove, and tat. Each being color coded...
  16. mpenner

mpenner Heavy Cruiser

Oddometer:
    Nice tutorial. Thanks. It is really cool to be able to display tracks on a Nuvi

I used your instructions to create the img file, but then I used another tool on their site to install the map. The tool is called JaVaWa GMTK. This tool allowed me to install the map to my computer where it can be used and seen by both MapSource and Basecamp. It can then be installed to either the SD card or the GPS internal memory in the usual way.

JaVaWa has some other nice tools on their website as well. I am not associated with them BTW.

Sent from my cave using smoke signals