TVIP on a borrowed bike

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by Slowest_on_the_track, Sep 8, 2019.

1. Slowest_on_the_track

Slowest_on_the_track n00b

Oddometer:
    I will be riding through Mexico for 5 weeks on a borrowed motorcycle. The moto belongs to my friend. I will be picking it up in San Francisco. I am wondering if I can get a temporary import permit for this motorcycle.

Do I get the permit in my name, or in the name of the owner?

I have the same question for Mexican liability insurance.

I have done a lot of digging and I cant seem to find a straight answer. My friend is obviously ok with all of this, and our arrangement is that if I drop it, smash it, it gets stolen, or get it confiscated I will cover the price of the bike. It is an old KLR so there is risk there but not super high risk. If I have to draft up some paperwork I am ok with doing this too as I am a lawyer (practicing in Canada) and can make these agreements look fancy with nice stamps.
  2. severely

severely almost a noob

Oddometer:
    Not going to LEGALLY happen. The registration must be in the name of the person importing the vehicle. How about your friend "giving" you the bike and legally register the bike in Canada, then giving it back to him upon your return. The validity of your insurance depends on proper importation {TVIP}. Good luck.
    Hill Climber and SkizzMan like this.
  3. Slowest_on_the_track

Slowest_on_the_track n00b

Oddometer:
    Thats a bummer. I am trying to make this happen but no luck so far. If he were to "sell" it to me I would have to plate it in Canada. I could transfer the ownership in California but would need to physically be at the DMV in order to register it I think.

Is it possible for the import permit to be in my friend's name, and he gives me a letter of permission to ride it? Or, does he have to be physically with the bike at the border when the application goes through?
  4. JimsBeemer

JimsBeemer 2017 R1200GSA

Oddometer:
    My experience is that they validate the information on the TVIP matches your personal documents (some combination of passport, vehicle title, vehicle registration and driver's license - can vary in my experience depending on the person doing the inspecting). You probably need to communicate directly with Mexican custom's regarding your idea of a letter giving you permission, and you will need to speak Spanish to handle such a complicated question.

You do know that if you are riding in the "Free Border Zone", which includes Baja Norte, Baja Sur and portions of Sonora, you do not need a TVIP?

https://www.mexpro.com/blog/mexico-free-border-zone
  5. JimsBeemer

JimsBeemer 2017 R1200GSA

Oddometer:
    And it is easy to spend 5 weeks in the area encompassed by that zone! We spent a month in Baja alone, and that was driving through, not returning.
  6. severely

severely almost a noob

Oddometer:
    Physically at the border will do but what about insurance? The TVIP needs to be in the name of the insured riding the bike. Wanna take a chance?
  7. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Buy it from him in California and register it there using his address. People come into California and buy bikes and register them all the time . Look up Inmate Tuckers , he does this kind of thing for people on a regular basis.
    severely likes this.
  8. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    As mentioned above, technically, you need to be the owner of the vehicle to get a TVIP. But...

You can get a TVIP on a rented vehicle. So, have your friend draft a rental contract (make it look formal, not on the back of a napkin :deal), sign it. Bring all the other paperwork as noted on the Mexican govt. site, hope you encounter an agent that didn't get his Wheaties peed in that morning and Roberto is your tío... :lol3

Edit - on second thought, this would be a classic test case for the benefit of doing the TVIP in advance. Do all that above, and have your friend send the docs to the local consulate that processes the TVIPs.

https://www.banjercito.com.mx/registroVehiculos/#

If it gets approved, you fly over and go on your trip. If not, Baja and Puerto Peñasco are really nice... :augie

Gustavo
  9. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    Couldn't you have the owner add you to the registration? That seems like the easiest way