TWAT 2019 Planning

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Orangecicle, Jun 16, 2019.

1. ts3doug

ts3doug Long timer

Oddometer:
    Also will depend on how my ankle/foot heals up
  2. ts3doug

ts3doug Long timer

Oddometer:
    Should last through the TWAT Attach33702_20190630_123020.jpg
  3. Orangecicle

Orangecicle On a "Quest" Supporter

Oddometer:
    ts3doug likes this.
  4. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
    Alright, dates have been selected. @ZLTFUL and I will be heading out after work on September 20th. I have to be back home on the 28th, so Sept. 20-27 are our dates. If the weather at the northern end of the route holds, we will have lows overnight in the 40s, so entirely campable.
  5. ZLTFUL

ZLTFUL Optimistic Pessimist

Oddometer:
    Time to start saving up for a pair of TKC80s to throw on the Multi. Hehe. I have a brnad new set of Pilot Road 5s on her now but will swap them out for something a little more sand friendly.
  6. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
    I rode in the Loess Hills with a guy who was on MotoZ Tractionators. I think you could do some damage with those on the Multi. :lol3

[​IMG]
    ts3doug likes this.
  7. ZLTFUL

ZLTFUL Optimistic Pessimist

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, I don't see those in the sizes I need (120/17 front, 180/55/17 rear)
  8. chisox

chisox n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello, is there still room to add oneself to this group ride. I am doing my first year of adventure riding and would love to tag along. Ride a bonneville scrambler. Seasoned motorbike rider, backpacker but first year adventure riding.
  9. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
    Sure. We only have two committed, so we'll have to see where we end up in terms of numbers.
  10. chisox

chisox n00b

Oddometer:
    Excellent. I'll request this time off from work.
  11. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
  12. Westerly_Wind

Westerly_Wind Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Assuming Sat morning start on the trail, is the plan to be at Wildcat Mountain State Park that night?
  13. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
    Your question would assume there is a plan.
    Westerly_Wind and ts3doug like this.
  14. Westerly_Wind

Westerly_Wind Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fair enough. Looking into booking a site for Sat night. Hoping to leave the truck, ride up and back.
  15. ts3doug

ts3doug Long timer

Oddometer:
    My only problem camping there was the wood they had for sale didn't burn well. I have spent many nights of motorcycle trips over consuming in the Riversend tavern in Ontario.
  16. Chugiak

Chugiak Lechien

Oddometer:
    I'm planning on doing the TWAT the beginning of October. Can you guys tell me where I can get a GPS/GPX, I have an older file was just hoping to get at undated file if possible, thanks, have fun, enjoy the trail...
  17. gilbyj

gilbyj killingtime

Oddometer:
    Rode a portion of the trail from viola to north of clam lake last week. Did it with a pillion and it got a little sketching on the atv trail south of clam lake had to have her jump off for a couple big mud holes. rest of trail was aweesome.
    Just stuck some tkc80's and a new set of woody rims with a 21' fromt wheel. looking to hit it again with the new rubber.
    Hitting the klim cowtag adventure ride in Idaho September 12-14th the week before but if we get back in time would love to tag along to the upper portion.
  18. The.Rook

The.Rook Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey everyone, I am planning to do the ride sometime in the next couple months. Have not picked a date yet. I pulled GPS files off of here. http://transwisconsintrail.com/wordpress/?page_id=91 I grabbed the files in the first two links and used a website to convert the files to KLM and upload to a phone app called "maps.me". I am hoping using my phone will get the job done. I do not have a GPS. Just got some tkc80s mounted on my f800gsa. Here goes nothing :super
  19. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
    The 800 sounds like a good bike for the route. From the videos, larger bikes could struggle on the ATV trails, but something the size of your bike should be fine. I’ll be on my heavily modified 690, and @ZLTFUL is riding my spare 640 Adventure. {It’s a long story.}. :lol3

F806C9CB-4035-402D-89FD-DABA3736AE62-7040-000008F90FA854CD.jpg

I’ve used phones and an iPad Mini for years for navigation without problems. I generally use Motion-X, but there are other options out there.

48032663013_a4780d3740_o.jpg

I haven’t done much in the way of planning for this trip other than buying and fixing a spare motorcycle. Work is now going to be hectic until about the 19th, so I’m planning on wrapping up bike repairs, loading the bikes on the 19th, and leaving after work on the 20th. It takes about three hours to get to Dubuque from here, so if we leave after work, it’ll put us at the Wisconsin border near dark. That’s the extent of my planning. :lol3

As far as traveling expectations, I always end trips thinking to myself that I should have taken longer to stop and take more pictures. So, on this trip I do hope to travel a bit more slowly and capture more of the journey.

48453745322_679dc5a966_o.jpg
  20. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
    See the post above with the link.