1. eNewsletter Sign Up

TWAT 2019 Planning

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Orangecicle, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Orangecicle

Orangecicle On a "Quest" Supporter

Oddometer:
    That’d be awesome. Hope to meet you along the way.
  2. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
    I’m still unsure where we will be when. I think we will get to Dubuque Friday at dark. I’m guessing that we will be at that location by Saturday night . . . but it’s really hard to tell without knowing the terrain. And, I’m just not interested in rushing things this time. Been there. Done that. Paid the price.

38436516701_374522c4fe_o.jpg
  3. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
    @ZLTFUL and I have been doing some planning for the trip, and we’ve come across the fairly new requirement to register your Off-Highway Motorcycle (OHM) with the Wisconsin DNR if you want to ride on the Wisconsin ATV trails. Chad Berger’s videos show that they did the TWAT in about 2.5 days or so, and that included two of the ATV trails.

I’m guessing that we will ride the trails, but ya never know. If anyone else wants to ride with us and wants to rides those trails as well, I think you should register your bike. It costs $30.00. That said, you can do the basic TWAT route without the ATV tracks without any problems as well.
  4. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
    So, I had to call Wisconsin DNR to try and figure out the ATV trail pass thing. I learned that if you go to the Go Wild website: https://gowild/wi.gov/ you can go to the pulldown labeled Rec Vehicle Info. From there, click on Trail Pass Quick Sale. You can register a non-resident bike for $35 for the year. BUT, you can also register as “Non-Resident 5-Day ATV Trail Pass” for $20. The lady on the phone said that one of the last screens will display a page that you can print out showing that you paid, and you just carry that page with you on the trip.
  5. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
    So the plan has come together. We are leaving sometime mid-afternoon from Des Moines and heading to the east side of the state -- Maquoketa Caves? Bellevue?? Dunno. We'll venture over to Galena Saturday morning and start the route. We'll do about 200 miles a day and pick up ATV trails when we can. The first camping night is, er, up in the air. The second night we are going to try to get over to Little Bohemia to see the site of a Dillinger shootout with the feds. We should end up the route by end of day Monday. Other stops on our route include AeroStitch in Duluth and Lake Itasca so that I can walk across the Mississippi. We'll then start a lazy ride back along the Mississippi River and then home. I'm off until the following Monday, so we'll be in no hurry getting back. I may have to show Ryan my favorite B road in Allamakee County. Catch up to us if you're out that way. We'll be . . . outside.

image.jpg
    engineman likes this.
  6. The.Rook

The.Rook Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm off work until the 26th. Planning on riding down on Friday. Then, starting Saturday morning. I'm hoping to stick to as much of the original route as possible (assuming "original" means ATV trails). I mean I bought the damn sticker, i might as well get my money's worth. Nothing booked as far as camping each night. I usually roll without all the details planned.
    Orangecicle likes this.
  7. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I'm totally unclear on whether or not the "modified" route picks up ATV trails. I'm busy tomorrow morning, but then I plan on spending a day mapping out some of those trails and mapping out fire roads in the north. We'll start Saturday after @ZLTFUL wakes up. :snore
    engineman likes this.
  8. engineman

engineman Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm conflicted. was thinking about doing the enduro in Geneseo this weekend but I have a feeling my femurs have less risk of getting shattered if I hung out with you guys for a few days instead.
    Orangecicle likes this.
  9. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
    We're way more funner. :wings And if you break a femur on the TWAT, we'll be there to properly document it for posterity's sake.
    RoundOz likes this.
  10. RoundOz

RoundOz Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer:
    Only a true friend unashamedly promises to make fun of your pain and misfortune
  11. ZLTFUL

ZLTFUL Optimistic Pessimist

Oddometer:
    There's some pictures around here of me taking pictures of a fellow Multistrada owner in a state of duress. I snapped pics while he and others struggled to get the fat pig outta the mud. It's what true friends do.

And don't listen to Robin, Brad. She only sees me when I don't want to get up for work.
  12. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
    Yeah, @ZLTFUL documenting the incident, and me documenting @ZLTFUL documenting the incident. It's what we do.

[​IMG]
    ZLTFUL and The.Rook like this.
  13. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
    Well, @engineman and I both hit that hidden rock. If I'da done the submariner thing, I darn sure woulda wanted a picture. It's like an inmate civic duty.

[​IMG]
  14. vipers

vipers Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I might try to tag along for a day or two. Been awhile since I've been out of state. I see myself in the background here.
    View attachment 1857939 [/QUOTE]
  15. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
    [/QUOTE]
    Nice! Seems like every time I go to Doug's place I see you 6-Days there being worked on. ;)
  16. JRath88

JRath88 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you cats need anything while in the Dubuque area before you start just reach out. Wish I could head along with on this journey as I still have only done sections of the TWAT route but someday will change that. Enjoy!!
  17. ZLTFUL

ZLTFUL Optimistic Pessimist

Oddometer:
    Got the 640 almost completely ready for the trip. Need to check tire pressures and bleed the front brake but otherwise, all lights are now LEDs, everything works as it should, auxiliary LED spots mounted in place of the stock mirrors which only showed me my shoulders, bar end mirrors, better phone mounting, all general maintenance completed (I have done dry sump oil changes before but this thing has the most convoluted bassackwards oil change I have ever seen)...

Just waiting on a few final things to show up and then I can load the gear on and be ready when 2pm on Friday rolls around and we can GTF outta Dodge (Or DSM).
  18. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    The web site mentioned above to get trail passes doesn't seem to be working :hmmmmm,
    at least not at the moment. I tried 3 different browsers.

https://gowild/wi.gov/

Maybe down for cleaning?

cant be reached.jpg
  19. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
    Huh. Your post worried me because I hadn't done that yet, so I just tried. I was able to get through with no problem. Give it another try. If it won't work, then it may be an issue with your ISP or proxy or something. Maybe this YouTube video could help? Dunno. If it was me, I'd print out the error page and when the DNR dude stops you wanting to see your papers, show him that. :D

Or this one:

And if those don't work:

vipers and 9Realms like this.
  20. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    Very strange, just tried my smartphone and couldn't get in from two different browsers either.
    I will explore your suggestions. Seems odd, I live a state away.

EDIT: I am going with your option #3..... :lol3