Twin Cities Area Campfire BS Thread

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by Daggy, Sep 28, 2008.

1. sheffib32

sheffib32 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Vintage Bike Night at Bauhaus tonight?
    The museum your friend speaks of is the Mill City Museum. Built into the shell of the old Washburn A Mill. That's right by the Guthrie Theatre and the Stone Arch Bridge, all of which I recommend. Great way to spend a couple of hours. The first floor of the museum is free and open to the public. The Guthrie has a walkout balcony with great views of downtown and the river. If you want to see how Minneapolis got started, this is the place.

There are lots of good restaurants right by Target Field. Smack Shack, Parlour, Red Cow, Red Rabbit, 112 Eatery, etc. I'd recommend downloading Yelp or Tripadvisor on your phone and searching for things that are near you. The Twin Cities has a fantastic food scene with a fantastic restaurant in almost any genre. Butcher and the Boar's Beer Garden will give you a free pint with a Twins ticket, and has a fantastic burger.

Unfortunately, there are not many motorcycle, railroad, or aviation themed things to do close by that I've found so far.

Hope this helps!
    ajayhawkfan and dtysdalx2 like this.
  2. zDollar Bill

zDollar Bill Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat

Oddometer:
    Alternate route home - down Wisconsin 35 to Fountain City and stop at Elmer's auto & toy museum.

http://www.elmersautoandtoymuseum.com/

Then from there cut across the south east tip of MN - Pickwick to Money Creek, Rushford, Lanesboro, Preston.
  3. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Knowledge is horsepower

Oddometer:
  4. sheffib32

sheffib32 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After further review, vintage bike night isn't until next Thursday.
    b0yjeenyus likes this.
  5. ajayhawkfan

ajayhawkfan Rock Chalk

Oddometer:
    Ryan, check your messages.

For those that attended the BBQ Run, Ryan was the guy on the ultra-light plane that landed in my field and then I had to cut a runway for him to take off.
    LumpyOne likes this.
  6. FirstPath

FirstPath Long timer

Oddometer:

Simply Street Bikes has one on their floor in Eden Prairie
    drneo likes this.
  7. FirstPath

FirstPath Long timer

Oddometer:

Take 61 south out of St. Paul into Iowa. Then the river road south along Mississippi until you hit Missouri. Thes head west to KC. We did that route going to Eddies BBQ the first year he had the event.
    LumpyOne likes this.
  8. b0yjeenyus

b0yjeenyus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @rycomm

• Gonna be a bit warm but I always recommend using a bicycle to see Mpls as we have good biking infrastructure. Good bike routes/destinations:
      • From Lake Calhoun / Bde Maka Ska to the Mississippi River via an old rail line turned dedicated bike trail called the Greenway
        • Stop midway at Midtown Global Market, has a brewery and diverse food options
      • From there, W. River Parkway bike trail south to Minnehaha Falls or North to downtown/Mill Ruins area/Stone Arch Bridge
      • From the Falls lots of good walking around here and you can also bike pretty quick to Fort Snelling
      • Head back to Uptown / Lake Calhoun area via Minnehaha (Creek) Parkway or back up the river to downtown
    • Otherwise could take the light rail to St. Paul (green line) or the blue line to Fort Snelling / Mall of America / MSP airport (but I agree, its meh)
      • Blue line does have some good stops for food/drink though (from NW to SE):
        • Palmer's bar
        • Du Nord distillery
        • Northbound Brewpub & Smokehouse
        • Venn Brewing
    Welcome, and enjoy our city!
    drneo and dtysdalx2 like this.
  9. dtysdalx2

Oddometer:
    b0yjeenyus likes this.
  10. b0yjeenyus

b0yjeenyus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good call, Surly is definitely worth a stop to see the mecca of midwest craft brewing. Though as much as I love Surly beer, I gravitate towards more low key taprooms these days
    cra_fizzer likes this.
  11. drneo

drneo mmm... delicious

Oddometer:
    If you're going to take the Iowa route suggested (as opposed to HWY 169, which is going to be similar geography to Iowa/Kansas) then you also need to stop at the other mecca of midwest craft brewing: Toppling Goliath in Dechorah, IA
    b0yjeenyus likes this.
  12. dtysdalx2

Oddometer:
  13. drneo

drneo mmm... delicious

Oddometer:
    They really changed it up with their new location/building - you can actually sit down (unlike Surly) :jack
  14. rycomm

rycomm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the suggestions and routes. We're currently in Roseville, but will probably stay somewhere else tomorrow, a little south, closer to Minnehaha Falls. Sounds like we're going to Stillwater on Sunday.
  15. dtysdalx2

Oddometer:
    Yeah, now that I think about it. Wear comfortable shoes at Surly. :hmmmmmDamn place is too crowded usually.

I just found this brewery out in Chaska. http://schramhausbrewery.com/

Haven't been there yet though. Back Channel in Spring Park is a nice place too.
  16. propforward

propforward PIE!romaniac

Oddometer:
    Just go to a different brewery. Surly is good, but it's not like there are no other options. Headflyer, Insight, Indeed, Dangerous Man, Burning Brothers, the list goes on and on. Go to several, and run a "which brewery has the longest hipster brewer beard" competition.
    cra_fizzer, LSGiant and ajayhawkfan like this.
  17. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    The 'we smoke all of our malt and the beer is shitty' place in the north metro has full on zz top beards.

I always suggest Bang Brewing. Excellent beer, awesome patio and gardens, and now Northern Fires built a pizza oven on site. :beer
    LSGiant and dtysdalx2 like this.
  18. propforward

propforward PIE!romaniac

Oddometer:
    Which one is that?
    Bigbore4 likes this.
  19. dtysdalx2

Oddometer:
  20. dtysdalx2

Oddometer: