Twin Cities Area Campfire BS Thread

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by Daggy, Sep 28, 2008.

1. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Just send it!

Oddometer:
  2. Ride_There

Ride_There Will ride for bacon.

Oddometer:
    Klay, that didn't take you long to find one. Enjoy!
    Klay likes this.
  3. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Forty-eight bucks a years with Progressive for full insurance coverage for the KTM. It sure makes sense to keep things light and simple. Insurance for my 200 is eleven bucks a year.
    Sleddog and dtysdalx2 like this.
  4. GARAGE DWELLER

GARAGE DWELLER Adventurer

Oddometer:
    New Albin, IA is the target today...
    FirstPath and Klay like this.
  5. rowdyred94

rowdyred94 Has no parade m0de Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been avoiding this place a bit since we lost Barnyard. I don't really know anyone else very well and he was going to be my connection to the ADV world this year. Any light events coming up I could do some riding with some of you? I'm still a dirt novice, though I have a hundred thousand miles under my belt on the pavement. Not looking for anything too technical. The trouble is I'm up here in St cloud. Two weeks from everywhere as they say. Any discussions going on I should look into?
    davepen likes this.
  6. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Just send it!

Oddometer:
  7. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Just send it!

Oddometer:
    Still thinking about riding to Bauhaus...Goes until 9 p.m. tonight.

[​IMG]
  8. davepen

davepen Just put your damned city in your profile.

Oddometer:
    Looks like Pirate country. No thanks.
  9. NorskieRider

NorskieRider Ultracrepidarian

Oddometer:
    It isn't.
  10. *Gravy*

*Gravy* Jedi Loser Supporter

Oddometer:
    Story time with Gravy:

Back around 2002 I was working at the big steel mill in St. Paul off Hwy 61 and 494. One of my co-irkers had this cool bike he was riding to work. I’d see it parked out on the motorcycle pad regularly. Motorcycles had piqued my interest since I was a wee lad.

My old man was a reckless fella who’d managed to have two pretty serious accidents on motorcycles, one of which put our entire family in desperate times in the early 80’s. This made motorcycling a taboo subject in the young Gravy home (making it that much more appealing).

While working the 11pm-7am shift one dull evening (I was in maintenance so when the place was running it was our job to stay out of the way) that co-irker and I strolled out to have a closer look at this machine I’d been ogling. Turns out it was a late 80’s Honda XL600R. Kick start only, single cylinder, oil leaking beast of a machine. I had to have it! A deal was struck and a couple double shifts worth of overtime later I was bringing it home in the back of my pickup.

I unloaded that thing, struggled to get it running despite being told all the magic tricks, and rode it around my neighborhood and yard for longer than you’d think anyone could reasonably do that. The hook was set deep. I knew this was going to be for me!

Mostly worn cracked tires, a chain that might’ve been original, no endorsement, and only a snowmobile helmet to work with; I set off to find adventure. Well, I really didn’t know much about anything so I just set off. I rode east. For whatever inbred reason east is my internal heading. Four hours later I found myself in Ironwood, Michigan. I was a new dad and knew I better not push my luck and make it a multi-day outing so I turned around and headed home.

Almost 20 years later I sit and think about how stupid that journey was for so many reasons but 20 years later I also still love riding motorcycles. I’m glad I had some mentors who taught me to find roads that are infinitely more interesting than Hwy 8. I’m glad they took the time to encourage me to get my proper endorsement, some proper riding gear, and maintain my bike(s) properly.

Thanks for reading.
  11. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    I also tend to migrate east, which is bad when it's time to come home, traveling into the sun, or perhaps worse, driving in the dark of night in deer country.

Ten years or so ago, another ADV'r named EagleTodd and I set out one day to snag a rustic road or two, maybe end up around Hayward for BBQ at the original "Dave’s" back in the day. Ended up quite north of there, showing him the Bayfield, WISC area. We did swing through Hayward on the way back home, the day going dark on us as we pulled out of town heading back west. Not long out of Hayward we started to encounter flocks of deer along the roadways. Eventually we had some determined to cross the road.... on occasion, between Todd and mine's bikes.... gads, were they bowling and missed us?

Indeed we should have just stopped at stayed the night some where’s but I'm a CPAP guy was not toting the gear. Can't sleep a wink without it.

Somewhat before we got to the Danbury area, we hit rain. We stopped at a bar just outside of Danbury, as we spotted that they had a small awning outside the front door, perfect for us to slip into rainwear and then get back on the road. We ran into some bar patrons that first thought we were security, as we had all this strange armor and stuff on.... let's just say they had been drinking before their arrival :freaky

The one gal took a fancy to EagleTodd, and wanted him to take her on a ride on his KLR in the rain.... trouble was, she only had one leg.

We eventually got home very late. We had 500 miles+ on our trusty Kawalski's for the day and we were tired.

bayfieldwis.jpg
  12. DirtFarmer

DirtFarmer Has anyone seen my mother

Oddometer:

Your maintenance abilities are well known.

Your also good to ride with.

upload_2021-10-3_17-19-5.jpeg
    ajayhawkfan and *Gravy* like this.
  13. *Gravy*

*Gravy* Jedi Loser Supporter

Oddometer:
    :imaposer
    ajayhawkfan likes this.
  14. NorskieRider

Oddometer:
  15. NorskieRider

Oddometer:
    That's why I always carry spare Rok-straps.
  16. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Just send it!

Oddometer:
    Another tap room. Forgotten Star in Fridley? Any good?

[​IMG]
  17. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Just send it!

Oddometer:
  18. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Was down by Red Wing last night and I'd say it was barely 10%
  19. LastStandard

LastStandard Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yup, they make some good beers. Cool building, too.
  20. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I resolved the mirrors situation. What were they thinking?

[​IMG]
    JackJack, dtysdalx2 and Road Barnacle like this.