Twin Cities Area Campfire BS Thread

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by Daggy, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer Super Moderator

Oddometer:
  2. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. Tiger993

Tiger993 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    wbbnm and Grainbelt like this.
  4. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    What happens if a tree branch hits one. Do they break or fold down? Or can you fold them down ahead of time when in a threatening situation?
  5. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like the flexibility of the doubletake mirrors. You can just swap the right mirror for a trail gps, for example.
  6. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    There's a video in the link, goes thru all the positions.

They rotate, so you can rotate them straight up (inside the width of the handguards) or all the way down inside the guard, seems smart and puts them in a good spot the rest of the time.
    Tiger993 likes this.
  7. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Just send it!

Oddometer:
  8. Tiger993

Tiger993 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My CRG/Rottweiler mirrors are on the big bike, which does street, dirt, gravel, and tame two track type stuff. They offer such an incredibly wide field of view that I can see the lane adjacent to me and my own lane directly behind. The improvement in spacial awareness on the street is incredible.

There are two negatives that took a while for me to adjust to: first, with traditional handlebar high mounted mirrors, I could easily check them with my eyes, with very little movement of my head in the direction of the mirror. With these bar end mirrors, you can forget checking them by just moving your eyes; it takes a pronounced head movement down and out to get your eyes on them. This head movement took some getting used to. It also takes your eyes further away from the road ahead. Something to think about.

The second negative is that they are quite convex so I had to re-calibrate my brain to know that just because I can see the entire front end of that truck behind and in the lane adjacent to me, it's actually only 25 feet behind me, and not the 100 feet it appears to be. :deal

I prefer Doubletakes on a dual sport.
    Phil8dirt likes this.
  9. DirtFarmer

DirtFarmer Has anyone seen my mother

Oddometer:
  10. FirstPath

FirstPath Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey all…. I’ve got the Triumph up in the Flea Market if anyone is interested in a great light touring gravel road runabout.
    JackJack likes this.
  11. Nick MN

Nick MN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Scott that's a surprise to me! Is there something about the bike you are "over"?

Hope all is well with you and your family!

-Nick
  12. FirstPath

FirstPath Long timer

Oddometer:
    All is well! Looking at the family priorities and reevaluating if the risk is worth the reward. It's not. I had a trip end abruptly due to a crash (not mine) and that had me and others in my life wondering the "what ifs" and what it means when you have someone with special needs already in your life. When I met my wife I took on 50% of the care... she doesn't want it back... and I don't want to give it to her. That said... I'm setting up my '18 Frontier for more off-road use so I'll still be hitting the forest roads and single track here, there and everywhere. "Jeeping" a BDR route sounds like a good plan.

It's a great bike and I'll miss it for sure... I wouldn't want any other.
    mnTwin, STRich, dtysdalx2 and 4 others like this.
  13. Nick MN

Nick MN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hear you and good on you for taking action!

I actually just sold my MT-07 and I'm without a bike for the first time in a decade. Not sure what the 2022 riding season looks like for me yet. I tells you an overland rig with a roof/heat looked damn appealing to me as I was ridding in freezing temps on the million dollar highway just a few weeks back!

Best of wishes!
    Grainbelt likes this.
  14. LastStandard

LastStandard Adventurer

Oddometer:
    They don't take too much to get off-road worthy. I've got a 2010 Xterra which is almost identical to the Frontier, suspension wise. I've only done bigger tires (285/75/16), rear shackles, small add-a-leaf, spacers and UCA up front. Removed the rear sway bar and some rock sliders to protect the rocker panels. Been too long since I've had it off-road but it's gotten me to some pretty cool places. Getting a bit long in the tooth (~215000 miles) and looking at newer Frontiers or a Colorado ZR2 to replace it with.

IMG_20190513_193740_422.jpg
    FirstPath and Nick MN like this.