Twisty roads from Raleigh, NC to the Blue Ridge Parkway?

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by thejosh, Sep 27, 2009.

1. thejosh

thejosh Chump

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, I'm doing a street ride next week with a buddy and we are looking for some fun roads going from Raleigh, NC to the start of the Blue Ridge Parkway.

We will be on a DR650 and an XR650L and dont really have a set schedule. We dont want to take the interstate from Raleigh and are looking for some local knowledge of central/ western NC.

Both bikes are going to be on DS non-knobbie tires (distanzia, trail attack) but some gravel would be welcome.

I have a garmin 276 so tracks or routes would be best but If you just have some road names I could do the routing myself.

Thanks in advance gang.
  2. rob23

rob23 on the pipe

Oddometer:
  3. thejosh

thejosh Chump

Oddometer:
    That sounds great!

I know that Skyline is boring and slow so I am looking for an alternative to that area that would still be fun.

Thanks!
  4. thejosh

thejosh Chump

Oddometer:
    Come on NC ADV'ers I know there has got to be a twisty route from Raleigh to Asheville. Clue me in gang.
  5. LDPosse

LDPosse n00b

Oddometer:
    All the good roads are in the western fringe of the state. I'd take I-40 there and enjoy the good roads once you get to Asheville. NC-226, NC-226A, US-221 (Near the BRP, Linn Cove Viaduct), and US-276 are some roads I've personally ridden, and they nice'n twisty.

Actually, I-40 approaching Asheville is probably one of the twistiest interstates I've ever ridden, it was actually quite fun.
  6. VersysCrashTestDummy

VersysCrashTestDummy n00b

Oddometer:
    I drove that section of I-40 two weekends ago and it is definitely the twistiest interstate I have ever driven. The trucks are not allowed in the left lane, which helps a bit. How long are you riding? If it is a weekend trip once you get to WNC and ETN you will have more roads than you can ride to enjoy.

Looks like if you got to Blowing Rock you could take the Blue Ridge Parkway down to Asheville. NC is pretty flat until to get almost to Asheville.
  7. gfwarren

gfwarren Guest

I'm always scooting up to Meadows of Dan, VA on the Parkway from Raleigh. Favorite routes are attached. Have fun!

Attached Files: