Two 950's the TAT and for cause

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by juniorsktm, Jun 28, 2009.

1. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter

Oddometer:

TAT on the interstate ????---they must have re-routed it since I rode it :D

Someone get that 950 a fuel pump quick.

Enjoying your ride guys--hope you get going soon. And don't worry about getting to the coast---the in between is the good part.
  2. Dr LC8

Dr LC8 ...soon or later

Oddometer:
    Nice pics,

wll done.

Ciao

Nic
  3. flux_capacitor

flux_capacitor I know a shortcut!

Oddometer:
    On the horn with Frank... he has a spare fuel pump with him (way to go Debandi). The problem is Elton's bike. I think they're a little down (understandably so) but I do believe once they roll up their sleeves and get to it they will be on the road soon enough.

Sounds carb-related to me, though. I recommended he find somewhere that sells auto parts and try some Seafoam, what the hell?

Fingers crossed....
  4. Dragon43

Dragon43 If you insist.

Oddometer:
    I called, no answer, are they going again? Was going to try to take a truck and get the broke bike....

I'm near Morrilton west of Little Rock....

They still need help, 479-466-1218
  5. Brown Dog

Brown Dog North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer:
    Frank & Elton,
    i just want to thank you for letting me & Brad ride along with you
    guys for 4 days. we had a blast. it was special, seeing interested
    people along the way donating $ to your two organizations :D
    i sure hope you get Elton's 950 going. thanks to Debandi for
    coming out of his way to spend some quality time with us &
    swap some GREAT stories :deal :clap
    thanks again, Mike Brown :norton
  6. juniorsktm

juniorsktm Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Well, I am not sure of your tone, but all I was saying is with a little attention and care a good line can be had for a successful fording........:D

Now, for the mess we have been into! Mr. BigDog, we have definately been on the trail for sure. NO WAY would we even think about the slab or deviating from the TAT. When we broke down we used the Zumo to find the nearest civilization and hotel for repairs. We found it and it wasn't but 4 miles from the trail. A stoke of luck for sure. As for the sick Orange Pig.........sheez we just took it all apart and looked into what we could, no luck. Put it back together and it's worse. No Elton thinks the battery has died due to starting all the time..........I'm not sure about that?

Here is what I do know. Our dude in Arkansas is going to pick us up tomorrow and trailer the bike to Little rock for repairs on Tuesday when the shops open. If we can find an independent to work on it tomorrow we will then ride back to where we left off. This thing ain't gonna whip us! We will get to the coast and we WILL DO ALL OF THE TRAIL!:clap

So, we are doing laundry and brain storming the situation. My guess now is it is something in the coil or electrical. Being a "5" out of "10" in the mechanical realm with these bigger bikes I am pretty much useless. I can handle most of the issue, just not electrical. Now way to test either. At least not on the trail.

[​IMG]

A PERFECT 10!! You da' man Elton.........What? Oh, Im coming to help you pick it up, again!
    [​IMG]

SUCCESS!!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Frank says, "Elton, you should get a high fender for the TAT because of all the mud." Elton, "I will be fine dude, I like the low fender, plus I like the Red Bull thingy stuff I painted." Frank, "Ok, dude, whatever....."
    [​IMG]

"And the road go on forever and the party never ends..." -Robert Earl Keen
    [​IMG]

Missed a turn, worked out well!
    [​IMG]

I'm just going to pout cause my bike runs like crap. I think I will pout at the run down crappy dump site of an old gas station........
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now for the funny side of things, my man Elton hit 10 today!:clap 10, as in the number of crashes in the trip!:rofl Starting today he was at 5 but we hit the mud and that total we sky rocketing!

We also ran into some "dudes" on new fully touratech'd 800 GS's and one of them had gone 10 feet in the mud, crashed and was headed to the car wash and they were going to bypass the "tough stuff" in the agricultural areas. Hilarious, they sure aint DOG's!!

Phone is ringing, be back when I can.............

Peace,
    Frank
  7. achesley

achesley Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    The new breed of rider does not know that you look for thunderstorms and water crossings to wash your bike proper. :lol3
  8. juniorsktm

Oddometer:
    Wow, you all are the best! DeBandi, your world class! Thanks for all you have done helping us in our mystical quest. All the rest of the out pouring of support, thank you so much! What a great community the motorcycle folks are. We seem to have some help coming tomorrow and some wrenching help. Keep your finger crossed. Either way we will get it fixed. I just spoke to "Pinks" and she told me Questor and ridergirl stayed with them last night and headed out around 11ish. We were sure to catch them until the love theme from the crapping crappy running 950 began playing.:D

We will catch some other and I look forward to meeting all of you. Thanks again for being the great folks you are and know we are tremendously indebted to you for lending a helping hand. It will not go forgotten. And it will be "paid forward".

One last thing until I hit the sack. I am learning to use Elton's MAC on this trip so the pics and video may be a little slow due to the fact that this apple thing doesn't want to cooperated with the timeless 1st grade PC skill I currently own. Be patient, I will get this sooner of later.

Inspectorpacket, you da' man! thanks for the picture help. Since you are a MAC guys any tips on getting my stuff from smugmug would be greatly appreciated.

Braap!
    Fast "stuck in nowhere" Frankie
  9. tagalong

tagalong Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Seems like the fitting place to make my first post.

Frank and Elton, it was great meeting and riding with you guys. Thanks again for allowing Brown and I to ride along and enjoy the trip.

Sorry to hear about Elton's bike problems, I assume it's related to the popping it was doing on Saturday? Bad timing for an electrical issue, as I had an electrical kit with me. Hope you've straightened out your rear brake issues.

Brad
  10. MeanStreaker

MeanStreaker KLR > Pee-wee's Bike

Oddometer:
    I was genuinely asking so I could learn. No tone. Just five words.

Good luck with the rest of your trip and I hope you guys are back on the road ASAP.
  11. expeditionswest

expeditionswest In Search of Adventure

Oddometer:
    Good luck guys. I enjoyed the TAT on my 950 last year. Incredible trail Sam put together!

Remember, there is no fuel in Fort Bidwell ;) Head north to Adel...
  12. juniorsktm

Oddometer:
    No worries brother, I didn't figure there was a "tone":D ............However, the name is "Mean Streaker":rofl

For the tidbit of advice I would give is to let the bike go where you steer it with your feet. NO SITTING! Anyone wants to sit, buy a Goldwing!:D :D

Be cool up there in Dayton and I hope you come back and share in our journey! It's definitely shaping up to be epic!

Peace out!
    FF
  13. MeanStreaker

MeanStreaker KLR > Pee-wee's Bike

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I just sold the Kawasaki Mean Streak last month. Still keeping the screen name. :)

Thanks for the tip. I've been on bikes for so long that I can't remember not being on bikes. But I have limited experience on "serious dirt". That's why I eat up every TAT report I can find as I have recently moved this trip from my "Dreams List" to my "Goals List".

Looking forward to the rest of the ride! Get that 950 healthy!
  14. ian408

ian408 Administrator Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    :lurk

Good luck with the bike :thumb
  15. juniorsktm

Oddometer:
    Since I am in the mood, I thought I would share some other pics with you all......enjoy!

Field of Sunflowers
    [​IMG]

Muddy waters
    [​IMG]

sing along now, "Tennessee river and a mountain man......"
    [​IMG]

"Hey Frank, do I need to lube the whole chain?" Me, "No dude, just every other link...."
    [​IMG]

Seen this in another link.......BTW, we made it around the bridge out with a little "Cowboy'n Up" it can be done, DO NOT REROUTE!"
    [​IMG]
    wrong bridge, this was easy but cool pic anyhow
    [​IMG]

Here is the correct pic for going around a closed bridge
    [​IMG]

Elton ran past these guys and one got bucked off due to his "quit muffler". They were nice about it though
    [​IMG]

A house right here would suit me! Valerie?:D
    [​IMG]

So Brad goes down to put his wheel in the Ar side of the Mississippi River and stick it in the mud instead:rofl
    :rofl
    [​IMG]

Razorback Country! Welcome
    [​IMG]

This particular BP sold oats as well as pertol:D Nice guy he was, I told him he needed stickers on the horse. It would make it look faster!
    [​IMG]

"She drove her Chevy to the leve and the leve was NOT dry...."
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Out of sequence but a standard for TAT reports
    [​IMG]
  16. Dragon43

Dragon43 If you insist.

Oddometer:
    I am trusting that Pinks will have your transport in the AM, If she has a problem, have her call me at 479- 466 1218 and I will be her backup...... Sounds like you all have the best plan for now... Keep us posted....

Cool pics...... got the Handy wipes handy???? LOL :D
  17. mile0321

mile0321 Recon Marine

Oddometer:
    Dude...we did not ride through mud...that was clay...six inches deep...like potters use...and that stuff got baked into solid rock from our headers! My flippin front wheel wouldn't rotate...I had to plow through!

I wont post another pic, but you can see above...my fender was cloged with muck! :eek1

It's a shame were sittin here in a motel working on the bike...we were making such good time. Thanks to the GPS we blew through Mississippi!

[​IMG]

God bless technology :D

Riding on the levy system was really neat...raised up above everything around us. You could really get going...we spread out because of all the dust...the four of us spread out over a mile of curvy levy followed by these hazy dust trails. Brown hit about 90 mph on these suckers! :eek1

[​IMG]

He also decided to do a fly by at 125 mph while I was negotiating our our next turn... sounded like a missile coming by. :eek1 Sorry no pics...just a heart attack!

[​IMG]

We were so happy to hit Arkansas last night. Sorry for falling behind in our ride report, but we were smoked after two 12 hr days of ridding back to back. My hands were calyst and feet are blistered.

But what a site to see...the mighty Mississippi River

[​IMG]

I think Frank mentioned the two BMW guys on new F800 GS's fully loaded! Were talking side cases, top cases, & dry bags on top of each! We rolled up on them with their bikes faced the wrong way...caught them! :rofl These suckers hit the mud and said screw that! :lol3 They were going to slab it to the next state. I can't wait to see the look on their face when we blow by them again! :evil

We didn't make it far today before my bike started coughing and spitting... backfiring and cutting out! :cry Wev'e gotten such great support from the ridding community. Trips like this just wouldn't be possiable without fellow adv'ers. :clap I want to go ahead and thank everyone for their support! Can't wait to get back on the trail!

[​IMG]
  18. scoon66

scoon66 Who is the Coon?

Oddometer:
    Pinks? Huh... :lol3
  19. flux_capacitor

flux_capacitor I know a shortcut!

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear you got a plan of action in place, fellas. Sounds like the BRR kit has already earned the space it takes up on the back of Frank's bike, eh? :evil

Elton, don't let Frank rib ya TOO much about the high fender... I have never seen the need for a high fender on the Tiger but if I ever take it on the TAT looks like I'll learn from you. :D I wonder how many times Frank has fallen in the TWENTY YEARS he has on you? :lol3

Just kidding around, guys, again, let me know if you need anything.
  20. scoon66

scoon66 Who is the Coon?

Oddometer:
    Just talked to Ryan (SVader) he's getting the trailer hooked up now and should be on his way shortly.