1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Two Adventure Noobs plan an 8-day ride, 2-up on Australia’s EPIC Alpine Roads

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by siswati, Nov 22, 2019.

1. siswati

siswati Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Day 5 - Lakes Entrance to Jindabyne

We try and recover our trip affected by the numerous forest fires shutting down so many roads. The highlights include :-
    • Kim complains the video editing is fixed to make her look bad
    • We ride the infamous Bonang Highway, 95km of hairpins, switchbacks, tar and dirt
    • I have sex with the road
    • I send a message to my buddies about coming and riding this amazing piece of road
    • Kim discovers Jurassic Park for the umpteenth time this trip
    • We almost crash into a wallaby
    • 2-up we pass several other bikes on the dirt roads!
    • We see fridges used as mail boxes
    • We have lunch in No F@cking Idea, AKA paradise
    • We get lost in a sheep farm, and the entrance to Jindabyne is spectacular, but cameras were not functioning. Damn, will have to go back and shoot that stretch of road again!
  2. siswati

siswati Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another long day in the saddle, up the spectacular Bonang Highway, with a detour for lunch along the C611 McKillops Road, an amazing dirt road that runs alongside the Deddick River past Tubbut.

View attachment 2022429
  3. siswati

siswati Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Day5sm.JPG
  4. dp3000

dp3000 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I hope you are going Jindabyne to Adaminaby to Tumut, unbelievable road. I'm from Canberra but have just moved to Washington DC. Canberra is right in the middle of all the roads you have been riding so I now them well.

Really enjoying your posts and videos, feeling a bit home sick\ but hope to find a bike and start exploring up and down the east coast of the US.
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  5. siswati

siswati Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi DP300 - unfortunately did not take that section of road, but will note it for future rides. As you will see from the next episode we ride the Alpine Way, Benambra Corryong Way, Omeo Hwy and Great Alpine Road back to Lakes Entrance - some great dirt riding in the forests!
  6. siswati

siswati Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Day 6 - Jindabyne to Lakes Entrance

Day 6 of our Aussie Adventure was one of the most enjoyable days of the entire trip. 9 hours in the saddle. Followed the Alpine Way past Thredbo Ski Resort, stopping to fly the drone at an amazing spot, met another biker and carved the canyons 2-up to the gas station in Khancoban.

Passed through Corryong where it becomes the Murray Valley Highway (B400) and then took the Benambra Corryong Road (C545), an amazing stretch of 60km of winding dirt road through the Wabba Wilderness Park down to Omeo, where we joined the Great Alpine Road (B500).

Stopped for gas again at Swifts Creek and then made our way through the badly burned sections of forest heading down to Lakes Entrance
    Fantastic day of riding, the most dirt of all the days, and the most scenic of the entire trip

7. siswati

siswati Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    day6sm.JPG
  8. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    Really a wonderful ride report! Excellent video and narration thats for sure. Glad you two are doing this and having a good time. To me there is nothing better than to ADV ride with one you Love! Cheers!
  9. 7t9cbx

7t9cbx Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Have you been to Tennessee, North Carolina, Georgia, West Virginia, Pennsylvania ? The curves are endless
  10. siswati

siswati Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Oldschoolrocker - my wife and I thoroughly enjoy riding together and seeing the world. Have done so in cars and campervans for the past 28 years, and apart from a few "value sharing" and "character building" moments (that will be featured in our Aussie ride postmortem), we joke, laugh and smile the entire time. Been very blessed with my life's companion.
    Oldschoolrocker likes this.
  11. siswati

siswati Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi 7t9cbx, Yes I have, and have spent a lot of time riding and driving in 49 of the 50 states, but I am sure there are many roads I might have missed. Any ones in particular that you recommend?
  12. dp3000

dp3000 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    7t9cbx - I would also be interested in any roads you suggest.

siswati - The Alpine way is awesome also, twister and technical. Make sure you come back and ride Adaminaby to Tumut, it's like a high speed racetrack. A lot of the road is above the snow line so the road is billiard table smooth.
  13. Baggi'tard

Baggi'tard If I don't answer I'm ridin' or shootin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting your video ride reports. Wife and I will be watching those this evening. As we've also made videos of our rides through Greece, Balkans, upcoming Crete, and other stuff like river cruise in Russia, we love watching other ride reports too. YouTube app on a smart TV is the best way!
  14. siswati

siswati Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for subscribing Baggi'tard - I have learned so much from watching what other adventurers have done, and attempted, and been inspired by them. While I used to race motocross, supercross and enduro very competitively in my self indulgent youth, these days the rides that I am doing have to be navigable 2-up, as I really enjoy sharing the journey with my wife. And yes the YouTube App on a large screen smart TV is the way to go. I originally started capturing all my video footage in 4k for this very reason, but with the 5 cameras I was using to get all the different angles, I ended up with over 200GB after day 1, so I backed out and recorded everything at 1080p. Still endeded up with 1TB of video after only 8 days. Its NUTS!
  15. Baggi'tard

Baggi'tard If I don't answer I'm ridin' or shootin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, specifically why I only bought a 1080 Sony, knew 4K was just too much data (let alone seems unnecessary for YouTube). And the only reason I want one camera, personally just not interested in capturing that many different images at the same time and then having to wade through it. It's enough to go through 8 hours of video after a week or two of riding.
  16. siswati

siswati Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes I think everyone, including myself underestimates the time it takes to scrub the footage you have captured, just to find the good pieces when editing. Fortunatley the Sena 10C has a tagging feature built in which allows you to tag the stuff that you just recognized was great, so that make that a lot easier. Then you just have to make sure that all your GoPros, drones, gimbals and phones ALL HAVE THE EXACT SAME TIME STAMP, and then you can just search based on details to find that stuff fast. But it still takes time, time that would be better spend riding, or planning the next adventure.

But everytime I do a trip with just one crappy camera, I always regret not having another angle to show off the beauty better. Life is just full of compromises
  17. siswati

siswati Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Day 7 – Lakes Entrance to Marysville

Kim and I decided to add an extra 2 hours onto our 5 hour trip, just to go back and shoot the magical Bete Bolong and Old Buchan Orbost Roads to capture the stunning footage I missed 2-days earlier when a bug smeared our camera lens.

Then we turn around and head South along the coast and finally North up into the Yarra Ranges along the fabulous Woods Point Road (C511) to Marysville where we spend the night. With stops its another 9-hour day in the saddle. Highlights include
    • Kim swears she sees an alligator on the road
    • We fly the drone over horses and magical setting
    • Had back out through the picturesque Lakes Entrance (great name as you will see)
    • Stop for lunch at the Stellar Door in Stratford
    • Kim and I have done so well in Ketosis / LCHF / Intermittent fasting for the past 5 years, but ham/cheese/tomato sandwiches looked too appealing
    • Kim falls asleep on the bike (seriously). Discovers she likes being scared – are you kidding me
    • We ride the prettiest road ever.
    • Arrive safely in the quaint little town of Marysville – a town that was wiped off the map in 2009 by a hellacious fire that razed the town, killed all the livestock and 34 residents. Amazing comeback story
  18. siswati

siswati Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here is the extra trip we did from Lakes Entrance up the Bete Bolong -/ Old Buchan Orbost Road (highly reccomended)

DAY7b.JPG
  19. siswati

siswati Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And this is the originally planned ride from Lakes Entrance to Marysville with the stunning piece of road along Wood Point Road - possibly the most picturesque of our entire adventure so far

DAY7c.jpg
  20. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    when i went back to watch your vids , to see your wife mount the bike first was startling. pillions have no idea what it requires to keep the bike stabil even on good ground. My wife gets on an wiggles around , why I dot know? Also if on unstabil does the same. I mount and make sure I have solid footig then nod, have nearly lost it several times anyway as sand on the round , water on the paint and desert boots -which I otherwise like make for caution.
    The wife had the sleep problem on our rubber mounted Buell, no road vibs .
    Felt her going into a slump-scarly at 60 mph.
    So i tap her knee every so often , she taps me back to say all is well. Maybe wake her as well?
    thanks for all the descriptive words and great vids-pics, just trying to find where our OZ ride will fit in.