Two Adventure Noobs plan an 8-day ride, 2-up on Australia’s EPIC Alpine Roads

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by siswati, Nov 22, 2019.

1. siswati

siswati Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Yokesman - thanks for noticing - In my early days of adventure riding two-up, I used to mount the bike, and my wife would "cowboy up" behind me. It was always precarious, and would burn a lot of my energy trying to keep the bike balanced while she was swinging her weight from one side to the other. Then I saw this video, and we tried it on this trip, and it completely changed the way we mount the bike.

For me it was such a relief not to have to balance her, and for my wife it was so much easier and way more confidence inspiring, especially with the top box getting in the way of her swinging her leg over the way she used to do it.

As I say, it completely changed everything for us

Oldschoolrocker and yokesman like this.
  2. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 on that pillion mount technic. I was wondering about that too. Scary!! I do the head nod or say i'm ready on intercom as well. Cheers!
  3. siswati

siswati Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Day 8 – Final Day – Marysville to Melbourne

All good things come to an end, and today we rode back to Melbourne, to hand back our bike to Bike Around Oz, catch an Uber to the Airport and fly to Sydney. We celebrate our youngest daughter, Ashley’s 36th birthday along with her husband Tim who happened to be in Sydney at that same time, and my nephew Morgan, studying at UNSW. We had the time of our lives....
    • Kim talks about the journey, the animals we have seen, and dealing with her fears of the unknown
    • I talk about the smiles and laughter that accompanied our entire journey
    • The amazing winding switchbacks of the Marrondah Highway AKA Black Spur Drive (B360)
    • Through the Healesville wine country
    • Followed the surprisingly twisty Eltham-Yarra Glen Road (C726 which bypasses all the Toll roads and the stop start suburban Melbourne roads
    • Hand back the bike to the world famous Mick McDonald, founder and owner of Compass Expeditions
    • Fly Melbourne to Sydney, and join Ashley Tim and Morgan for dinner
    Richarde1605 and Ol Man like this.
  4. siswati

siswati Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lovely way to get from Marysville via Healesville to Bike Around Oz (Compass Expeditions) bike return depot

DAY8.JPG
  5. siswati

siswati Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ep 13. We’re Still Married??? WTF

What we Learned, Trials and Tribulations!!!! As two Adventure Noobs we learned a lot about adventure riding, and we learned a lot about ourselves.

We rode 3,500km over 8-days, two-up, several of them 8-9 hours in the saddle, a mix of dirt and tarmac, on the East Coast of Australia.

Kim overcomes her personal fears, we discuss our multiple value-sharing / character-building moments, and the effects of wine after 8-hours in the saddle!!!!

I discover Kim has a massive range of Darth Vader like grunts mounting/dismounting the bike, and I miss our on the perfect opportunity to lose Kim in the Wild Aussie Outback!

Ol Man likes this.
  6. siswati

siswati Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    An overall look at the final route we rode

Australia-combo-01.JPG
  7. Oldschoolrocker

Oddometer:
    Great great report you two!! Very funny too listening to your summary. Haha! Glad you pulled it off and hope you get some more in. We also have done some great trips (KTM 1290 SA with trailer) as a couple so I totally understand what you've been through. Which leads me to wondering what your KTM gear is all about? Anyhow CHEERS and well done!!!
  8. siswati

siswati Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks OSRocker. Traveling with the wifey is a fun thing for sure, and I have seen your thread on the evolution of your 2-up ADV travel. Very informative and inspiring. And while I have ridden many many brands of bikes, I am particularly partial to KTM, my favorite bike being their 300XC two stroke. But I currently have a 690Duke, a 1290 Super Duke and the 1290 Super Adventure R. Will probably add the 790 AR to the gang for my solo adventures in tighter stuff
    Couple of questions for you
    How are you enjoying the trailer and has it limited what you can do or where you can go in any way?
    Before you got the trailer I noticed you ditched your original KTM panniers - what was the reason for that?
  9. Oldschoolrocker

Oddometer:
    Wow really cool on your bikes. I'll have to admit I love 2 strokes and have eyeballed the 300 for a long time. Cant imagine riding one. Moving here lately I moved my old Maico and forgot how light dirt bikes are, no wonder I used to rip so hard, soon to change that with our new place and a moto track.
    As far as our 1290 panniers go, well I wanted to narrow the bike up and not have them in my way off road. As you probably know 2 up on knarly trails isnt the easiest thing to accomplish but we do. I lowered the muff with a different one(since have installed a DELKEVIC) then found those ammo boxes to mount tight and high. Each of us uses them for clothing. Work really good even though its primitive set up, oh well. The trailer pretty much will go anywhere. I have hammered the shit outta it and have no fear. If issues arise I know KIPMOTO will support me with any issues. Great guys! Sure sometimes on trips like our UTAH trip I was way overloaded but we had options which made it nice. July's VBOM 1000 will have a lighter setup but we will use it again. Cheers Brother!!
    FYI... I just posted some new stuff on our thread.