Two bikes, one jug, Zero DSR - 2ERide the 2021 TAT with an electric moto coast to coast

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Am.E, Aug 8, 2021.

1. Am.E

Am.E Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry! Call haulbkes.com. That's who we're using. Recommendation TBD, bikes don't get home until the end of this month. I'll let you know then whether we'd hire them again:)

edit: the postscript post with stats and FAQ is on the previous page for those interested
    nutmagnet likes this.
  2. spuh

spuh Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the precis and indeed for the whole thread. Sounds like a practical electric bike is just over the horizon. As it has been for years. (Of course ICE vehicles took decades to evolve into practical travel machines). My own interest is currently (:lol3) directed toward trials e bikes for their quiet and the possibility to pretend it's an e bicycle when I ride somewhere it's questionable as to motorised bike acceptable. Sounds like the Zero is just acceptable as a dual purpose bike, rather than an excellent or even good d-p bike. Comparable to, say, a KLR or 390 Adv rather than a WR250R or CRF450L. A practical travel bike rather than a play bike. Which is to say that I'm not ready for one yet; maybe one's just over the horizon though.

I DO hope this trip gets you in the Guiness Book; the trip stands as a first, and a significant achievement.
    Am.E likes this.
  3. GoneToPlaid

GoneToPlaid Ludicrous Speed

Oddometer:
    Well, the DSR is a bit large for a dual sport. Zero also makes the FX, which is the size of a WR250R, has 21/18 spoked wheels, and about 45 horsepower. It's pretty good, and with suspension work and chain drive could be really good offroad. The FX doesn't have the range for the TAT, though. As batteries improve, we may reach a point where something the size of the FX has a 150 or 200 mile trail range, which will open up many interesting possibilities. It's still a great play bike. With an electric pickup truck, one could set up base camp and ride loops with the FX, then charge off the truck.

I haven't looked into it, but my understanding is that Guinness only accepts records that can be broken. "First Electric Motorcycle across the TAT" wouldn't qualify because no one can challenge it after it is done. The TAT is also a bit fuzzy in its definition. Are you disqualified if you skip 10 miles of Sam's track to get lunch?

Still, it really would be satisfying to be listed alongside this glorious feat:
    https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/73586/guy-who-pushed-peanut-pikes-peak-his-nose
    joenuclear and iatethepeach like this.
  4. WKUWIZ

WKUWIZ Riding the Highway Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you for proving that a zero can make the TAT! Yet you also proved you are highly capable and courageous adventurers regardless of machine. Your writing and chronicling are praiseworthy. By allowing us to be vicarious companions you have enriched us all. And for that you are to commended. Lots of salty folks round these parts...
    :clap:clap:clap
    Am.E and joenuclear like this.
  5. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Great read. That said, I suggest the average suburban EV buyer isn’t going to the trouble you did. E-car sales were flat until range began to increase. I’d like to see it done with a stock model of any bike straight out of the showroom untampered with.

I always love TAT ride stories.
    Am.E likes this.
  6. vt700guy

vt700guy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How about "coast to coast on electric motorcycle in x # of days" That would get you in as you are the only one who has completed it, and someone else could come along later and complete it faster.
  7. ROAD DAMAGE

ROAD DAMAGE Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Seems that what you'd have to do to have your feat considered by Guinness, is only to qualify/quantify your accomplishments?
    ( I did it in "x" days, and adhered to "THIS" route )
    I sorta like the idea of that because it'll probably add inspiration for the next several people to attempt the "2 wheeled e-TAT".
    I believe that somewhere out there people were paying attention to what you and Amy just did, and they're already integrating/applying what you learned into their own bikes/needs.
    And you never had to push any peanuts around with your nose .............. to help move the technology forward! :lol3
    Again, thanks!
    Am.E likes this.
  8. shaner1100gs

shaner1100gs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Am.E, vt700guy and RedDogAlberta like this.
  9. GoneToPlaid

GoneToPlaid Ludicrous Speed

Oddometer:
    We would, too! In the Postscript post (previous page) we outlined what it will take. The next 25% bump in battery capacity should do it. Right now the TAT is doable with a stock bike (with the optional extra battery), but you would have to accept slower charging than I had.

This summer, David Ewert rode his stock Energica Eva Ribelle coast to coast (CA to VA), using public DC fast chargers (CCS). He went about 3,000 miles in 6 days, averaging 500 miles per day. Chris Maxwell is planning an Ironbutt Saddlesore 1000 on a stock bike - also Energica.

DC Fast Charging is clearly the way forward. It will be a while before every town along the TAT has a CCS station - until then you'll want to be able to use RV 50 amp plugs.
    Am.E and joenuclear like this.
  10. GoSpeed

GoSpeed 'getting there

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing.
    Am.E likes this.