Two bikes, one jug, Zero DSR - 2ERide the 2021 TAT with an electric moto coast to coast

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Am.E, Aug 8, 2021.

1. spuh

spuh Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the precis and indeed for the whole thread. Sounds like a practical electric bike is just over the horizon. As it has been for years. (Of course ICE vehicles took decades to evolve into practical travel machines). My own interest is currently (:lol3) directed toward trials e bikes for their quiet and the possibility to pretend it's an e bicycle when I ride somewhere it's questionable as to motorised bike acceptable. Sounds like the Zero is just acceptable as a dual purpose bike, rather than an excellent or even good d-p bike. Comparable to, say, a KLR or 390 Adv rather than a WR250R or CRF450L. A practical travel bike rather than a play bike. Which is to say that I'm not ready for one yet; maybe one's just over the horizon though.

I DO hope this trip gets you in the Guiness Book; the trip stands as a first, and a significant achievement.
    Am.E likes this.
  2. GoneToPlaid

GoneToPlaid Ludicrous Speed

Oddometer:
    Well, the DSR is a bit large for a dual sport. Zero also makes the FX, which is the size of a WR250R, has 21/18 spoked wheels, and about 45 horsepower. It's pretty good, and with suspension work and chain drive could be really good offroad. The FX doesn't have the range for the TAT, though. As batteries improve, we may reach a point where something the size of the FX has a 150 or 200 mile trail range, which will open up many interesting possibilities. It's still a great play bike. With an electric pickup truck, one could set up base camp and ride loops with the FX, then charge off the truck.

I haven't looked into it, but my understanding is that Guinness only accepts records that can be broken. "First Electric Motorcycle across the TAT" wouldn't qualify because no one can challenge it after it is done. The TAT is also a bit fuzzy in its definition. Are you disqualified if you skip 10 miles of Sam's track to get lunch?

Still, it really would be satisfying to be listed alongside this glorious feat:
    https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/73586/guy-who-pushed-peanut-pikes-peak-his-nose
    joenuclear and iatethepeach like this.
  3. WKUWIZ

WKUWIZ Riding the Highway Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you for proving that a zero can make the TAT! Yet you also proved you are highly capable and courageous adventurers regardless of machine. Your writing and chronicling are praiseworthy. By allowing us to be vicarious companions you have enriched us all. And for that you are to commended. Lots of salty folks round these parts...
    :clap:clap:clap
    Am.E and joenuclear like this.
  4. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Great read. That said, I suggest the average suburban EV buyer isn’t going to the trouble you did. E-car sales were flat until range began to increase. I’d like to see it done with a stock model of any bike straight out of the showroom untampered with.

I always love TAT ride stories.
    Am.E likes this.
  5. vt700guy

vt700guy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How about "coast to coast on electric motorcycle in x # of days" That would get you in as you are the only one who has completed it, and someone else could come along later and complete it faster.
  6. ROAD DAMAGE

ROAD DAMAGE Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Seems that what you'd have to do to have your feat considered by Guinness, is only to qualify/quantify your accomplishments?
    ( I did it in "x" days, and adhered to "THIS" route )
    I sorta like the idea of that because it'll probably add inspiration for the next several people to attempt the "2 wheeled e-TAT".
    I believe that somewhere out there people were paying attention to what you and Amy just did, and they're already integrating/applying what you learned into their own bikes/needs.
    And you never had to push any peanuts around with your nose .............. to help move the technology forward! :lol3
    Again, thanks!
    Am.E likes this.
  7. shaner1100gs

shaner1100gs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Am.E, vt700guy and RedDogAlberta like this.
  8. GoneToPlaid

Oddometer:
    We would, too! In the Postscript post (previous page) we outlined what it will take. The next 25% bump in battery capacity should do it. Right now the TAT is doable with a stock bike (with the optional extra battery), but you would have to accept slower charging than I had.

This summer, David Ewert rode his stock Energica Eva Ribelle coast to coast (CA to VA), using public DC fast chargers (CCS). He went about 3,000 miles in 6 days, averaging 500 miles per day. Chris Maxwell is planning an Ironbutt Saddlesore 1000 on a stock bike - also Energica.

DC Fast Charging is clearly the way forward. It will be a while before every town along the TAT has a CCS station - until then you'll want to be able to use RV 50 amp plugs.
  9. GoSpeed

GoSpeed 'getting there

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing.
    Am.E likes this.
  10. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    @ Amy and Kevin glad to see you guys made home safely. As someone who had seen them go on multiple occasions from Arkansas on, job well done!
    Am.E likes this.
  11. Am.E

Am.E Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Check it out, two guys rode a couple of DSRs on the COBDR with a film crew and one of those new hybrid Jeep Wranglers:

Like the Rivian videos, I really enjoyed seeing the places we rode on the TAT as shown through some nice filmmaking ( the tracks overlap through the San Juans in CO). They charged at the same charger we used in telluride. One side wasn't working when we were there....I wonder if they edited that part out
    mtnbikeboy and SourceADV like this.
  12. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice film. For the most part the gas it up and haul hiney part of me just gets aggravated with the whole "Go slow to stretch the charge out until we reach a charge station thing."
    But , at the last part of the film when they talk about the magic of near silent travel through the wild places , well that's different.
    If these bikes become available for rent , I could see spending time on one. Still for now the idea of owning one is a hard no. Too expensive of an experiment.
    Am.E and drdubb like this.
  13. SourceADV

SourceADV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the share!! Both sides at the Telluride charge spot were working when we got there, so they must have fixed it. I rolled in at 7% battery life in limp mode, good times! LOL

This is such a cool build you did! The double charge mod you did is downright impressive! Thank you for all of the hard work you share on this thread!
    Am.E and [email protected] like this.
  14. OHjim

OHjim Long timer

Oddometer:
    So how did shipping the bikes work out?
  15. GoneToPlaid

Oddometer:
    First they said they would deliver by the end of October, which would have been fine. That passed, and we had to be out of state for work in Mid-November. They finally called and wanted to deliver Nov. 13, while we were gone, so we had to postpone delivery. As of last week, they said they would call to schedule this week (which hasn't happened, yet). So it has been almost two months and we still don't have the bikes back. Won't be using them again. Maybe if we have to ship bikes again, we'll just crate them and ship LTL freight.
  16. Am.E

Am.E Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Update: As of 7 am this morning, the bikes are finally home!

Timeline:
    9/30/2021 - completed the contract via docusign with Haulbikes.com
    10/1/2021 - received order confirmation
    10/5/2021 - left the bikes at a moto shop in Eugene Oregon for pick up
    10/6/2021 - flew home to NC
    10/12/2021 - haulbikes picks up the bikes in Eugene, OR (consistent with estimate, once the order is confirmed, they pick up within 10 days)
    10/29/2021 - no communication from haulbikes until I email them today, original estimate for delivery was end of October. I email them, get a prompt response that the delivery ETA is now Nov 8-13, which is a problem because we are scheduled to be out of town for work. They note not to deliver before Thanksgiving based on my estimate of being on the job site for almost two weeks.
    11/(8 or 9)/2021 - driver calls while we are out of town working to try and schedule delivery for the next day. we aren't home, can't receive them. Call him back, he sees the note, no problem, bikes go back to warehouse.
    11/17/2021 - I email haulbikes to let them know we are home and can accept delivery any time
    11/29/2021 - I email them asking for an update. receive notification that the delivery window is 11/30/2021 to 12/1/2021.
    11/30/2021 - driver calls to confirm delivery
    12/1/2021 - Bikes are delivered to our house in NC

How should I rate haulbikes.com?

The actual handling of the bikes was good. Our bikes appear to be exactly as we left them. The driver that delivered was great, he did his job wonderfully. The only downsides were the time, and lack of communication about the change in delivery estimate: Haulbikes took possession of our bikes on 10/12/2021, and did not deliver until 12/1/2021 (about 7 weeks). My understanding is that they lost a driver due to a medical issue in October (not covid), and are thus shorthanded.

Side note: The WRR started right up, and I rode it down my long gravel driveway to the garage. Temp was around freezing, and the bike had been sitting for two months , no battery tender. Shorai lithium battery for the win. (poor, cold motor that I ran for all of 30 seconds until I parked it in the garage). The Zero had been left with a charge of 95%, higher than ideal for storage. It read 57% this morning when it came off the truck.

[​IMG]
  17. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I knew just riding back was faster option LoL
    Am.E likes this.
  18. T3/T4 Hybrid

T3/T4 Hybrid Dirt Road Explorer

Oddometer:
    I was not impressed with Haul Bikes over the lack of communication and the amount of time it took for us to receive the machines also. We also shipped from the same city (Eugene OR) along with back to NC. I would not recommend the company for these reasons.

I can't remember the exact excuse but it was either a driver or truck issue.
    Am.E likes this.
  19. Am.E

Am.E Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Interesting. Maybe shipping bikes is a "better, faster, cheaper - pick two" situation. I'm not sure I would hire haulbikes again, but our bikes were handled carefully, and got a first class ride across the country for $500 less than the Federal quote. Even now, its still not worth it to me to pay $500 to have the bikes home a month sooner. We didn't need those bikes during that time period. Still, the original estimate of 3-4 weeks seemed acceptable to me, if a little long. 7 weeks is just way too long. (I fought the urge to physically hug my motorcycle when it came off the truck. I really like that thing. My aspirations of non attachment fall short with that specific material possession:)).
  20. spuh

spuh Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds analogous to shipping by sea; cheaper but slower, more variable and more frustrating. If you want speed and low stress, fly the bikes. Another option (maybe, possibly, as it involves a bunch more riding) would be to fly within Canada. As in, ride from OR to Vancouver, fly with the bikes on the same plane to Montreal or Halifax and ride home. Both Air Canada and Westjet were (before Covid) offering a really cheap fly-your-bike-to-Europe plan. Thanks to multiple departure airports, you could also fly within Canada to the five airports served by their new 787s. Post Covid, who can guess but an option to consider if you find yourselves in a similar situation.

And I hope you gave your bike a good hug after all that separation.
    Am.E likes this.