two cylinders = twice the stupidity...

Discussion in 'Racing' started by neduro, Sep 10, 2007.

1. neduro

neduro Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If there's one lesson I've learned in life, it is the importance of seizing opportunities when they appear, and not let circumstances get in the way of something that has the potential to be important.

So, when it became clear that Hilslamer, Pyndon and I are of very like mind when it comes to life, the universe and motorcycles, it was obvious that we ought to do a team race together. At Westfest, we struck the idea of racing Vegas to Reno together on my new 950 Superenduro. To that end, we paid the entry, made hotel reservations, set travel plans... and then my father got sick. I flew home to be with him, and in the course of 2 weeks from full health, he died. I was filled with sadness and lost in emotion and it was obvious that Vegas to Reno could not happen, for a multitude of reasons.

My dad wasn't a motorcyclist, he didn't share my passion for 2 wheels, but he lived his life with a bottomless honesty and integrity, not only to his word but also to his character. The best I can honor him is by living in a way that is true to myself, and as I realized how saddened I was by not sharing Vegas to Reno with people who mean a lot to me, like Tim and Lyndon, I realized that there was an opportunity that shouldn't be missed, to share an experience, to seize the day, to forge a memory we'll all treasure for a long time to come. A race like this might be shallow and trivial in the long term, but the friendships and flavor that it provides to life is not.

So Pyndon, Hilslamer and I are going to race the Baja 1000 together in November. We're a little late to the game, so we're scrambling to get caught up, with bike prep, with logistics, with money... but all that will sort out in due time. We're already working on scheduling a series of clinics that we will run to fund the race (more on that soon, but expect locations in Texas, Arizona, and probably SoCal), we've already started working out the logistics to make this thing happen... In short, there's an opportunity here, and we aren't going to let it pass.

This will be the hardest race any of us have done, the biggest challenge we've attempted on 2 wheels. The course this year is in part new, which adds a new flavor to the game, and like any other year, that's a big chunk of desert to try to cover in a hurry. We're all very excited to work on the project together, and good thing too, because there's a whole lot of work to be done, and quickly.

Neduro:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pyndon:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hilslamer:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We're going to have another teammate as well, look for an announcement here shortly.

One of the first tasks we have is picking a team name. Any suggestions?

Some of our first thoughts were along the lines of:

Team Superenduro: Your 6th gear = our 4th

Team Superenduro: Winning the straights at the expense of everything else

Team Pynslamerduro: two cylinders = twice the stupidity

You get the idea...

More soon...
  2. Eurobiker

Eurobiker Vintage Cat Herder

Oddometer:
    Ned, So Sorry to hear of your father. May he RIP. :cry

On the name, I like Team Pynslamerduro, but this leaves the 4th guy out. While not as imaginative, you could be Team ADV. The advantage here is the stickers are already made. :lol3:clap

Team TeaBag? :eek1
  3. Steverino

Steverino Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer:
    Good luck guys...

Sorry about your father Ned.
  4. Eurobiker

Eurobiker Vintage Cat Herder

Oddometer:
    Team Sugar Lips? :dunno :smooch

[​IMG]
  5. NoMystery

NoMystery Jesse's Girl

Oddometer:
    Location Location: between Atlanta & the mountains
    :thumb Right on.

GOOD LUCK, guys! :clap

:nod Agreed!
  6. Beez

Beez Given to fly

Oddometer:
    Well, whatever you call yourselves, Good Luck! :clap:clap A bit of advice that I passed on to PackMule last Saturday when we were riding in western Mass, "Go fast in the fast parts, slow in the slow parts." This was told to me by a roadracer friend but it works on dirt too.

Ned, sorry to hear the news of your father's passing. It took me three days to read your email. :cry Even though your dad did not ride motorcycles (mine does not either) I am sure he was proud of your 2-wheeled exploits and will be when you cross the finish line in Baja.
  7. Kropotkin

Kropotkin Big Girl's Blouse

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about your Dad, Ned. But if there's one thing parents want, it's for their children to be happy, and it's pretty clear that this is what works for you, so I'm sure your Dad would be behind you in this.

As for a name, it seems like you're massively overreaching yourselves (but in a good way) so how about:

Team Hubris: two cylinders = twice the stupidity
  8. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    Sorry about your Father, Ned.
  9. Zen Slug

Zen Slug Spineless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :clap

:lurk
  10. PackMule

PackMule love what you do

Oddometer:
    NEDURO's EPIC ADVENTURES FORUM, NOW!!!! :bow

I agree. :webers
  11. Zen Slug

Oddometer:
    Team Irrational ExubeRACE
  12. Misery Goat

Misery Goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    menage a twin - twice the stupidity

i'm sure your old man is proud of you Ned. :thumb

good luck Ned, Lyn, and Tim. :super
  13. Beez

Beez Given to fly

Oddometer:
    << Team DoubleMental ><team doublemental="">></team>
  14. HarveyMushman

HarveyMushman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry about your father, Ned.

Good luck in the 1000.
  15. Stobie

Stobie Mr. Motivated Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about your dad, Ned. I lost mine six years ago--still miss him every day.
  16. neduro

neduro Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm sorry to hear of your loss- I loved my dad greatly, and knew it, and am still amazed at how different life feels without him here.

Shortly before he died, a dear friend of ours had a baby boy. It made a big difference to me, somehow, that there's a full cycle, not just all one way, you know?
  17. Steel_Cowboy

Steel_Cowboy back in the saddle....homeward bound

Oddometer:
    I can sympathize with both of your pains, I too lost my Father all too soon and very quickly and I miss him dearly. He also did not share my passion for motorcycles (we were from a VERY poor immigrant family that worked for basic necessities), but he IS the reason I live my life the way I do. Your intro to this page could not ring more true and can only be realized in true fashion bby living it out. Therefore, go to your race, love it, enjoy it and that will make you the winner!

You are also wise in terms of the full circle: I await my own daughter's birth, due this Novmber, the SAME day as my own Father's birthday, 62 years later, eh?!

I also think of the lesson's you taught me in your dirt riding clinic here in the ROcky mountains and helped improved my riding 110%, so maybe one day I can dream to ride a race with you :D

My vote: Team ADV
  18. Trey650

Trey650 Are We There Yet?

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about your Dad, he was lucky to have a son like you.

You know the ADV Pit crew is there for you guys and the DA crew will also help. Let me know your plans. Look forward to seeing you in Baja.

Trey

Team Name: 8 Nuts and a Beast :lol3
  19. leeo45

leeo45 Longtime Lurker

Oddometer:
    Ned,

I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. It was a pleasure to have met him and shared conversation and lunch with him at WindRock last December. He may not have had a passion for motorcycles, but he certainly seemed to have a proud passion for you and your motorcycling.

Congratulations on making the opportunity to race the 1000! It sounds like you've got a team of talented enthusiasts to share the riding. Best wishes for a successful race. Keep us posted on preparations and, of course, we'll need a lengthy race report.:clap

Lee
  20. Zen Slug

Oddometer:

:rofl