Two Day Moruya Area Ride

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by gco0307, Dec 28, 2007.

1. gco0307

gco0307 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A few inmates headed out over the last few days into the country surrounding Moruya on the NSW south coast for a bit of a trek time so here is an attempt at a report.

The ride started with me waking at the ungodly hour (for me) of 0615, showering (thank god for that) and heading out to meet Greg at South Nowra before heading to Bewong to meet up with Al and his all to clean G650X.

From here we just highwayed it to Batemans Bay for a quick refuel before heading to Nelligen to catch up with Dave who was to be the tour guide, and some tour it was to be.

Now, I have no idea of the road or track names we spent time on, so just bare with me and forgive my lack of preciseness from here on.

So we head out the Kings highway and take a left (Paradise Road?) all the while just following the Dave and enjoying the views and road. Well, we got led here, then there up hill down dale, up another hill and down another dale, all the while smiling in the helmet, laughing out loud and loving every minute of it.

Eventually, somewhere on the track we came across a small creek crossing. So to show the way Dave crosses first and hits Ayers Rock in the middle gets thrown left but stays upright, I mean, how hard can this be ?

So, my turn and with no pride at all I kept the feet down and made it through with barely a whimper, only to find that there was more to go, although it did look easier (although some still fainted at what lay ahead in the second section ;D ).

[​IMG]

Ok, so part one out of the way and onwards to part two which was taken a bit easier until it was time to turn right mid creek when the front felt loose but it was just me panicking and again, I got through, as did all of us (refer Greg's vid)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    above pics of second section of creek crossing

After a short break and with the tough stuff out of the way (or so we thought) it was onwards and upwards quite literally as just around the bend was a hill. Maybe, not such a hill as a bloody great big steep piece of mountain side with bare dirt resembling a track on it. Piece of cake really as we all climbed it with ease and continued on our merry way.

Now I remember that we were on Knowles Road at one stage and ended up on a road under powerlines before hitting Larry's Mountain road, but really it all melds together when the roads are fantastic and testing with picture postcard views and all in our backyards. From here we just trundled to Dave's place and emptied the packmules before heading out for day one, part 2.

Day one, part two!

From Moruya we headed south to Bodalla and enjoyed a light lunch at the bakery before a quick refuel and off on a small 250 kms ride (useing the Touser certified GPS system ;D ).

Again apologies as I do not know the road names but sports bike riders would enjoy some of the tar sections at the bottom of the ridge.

Anyhow, we took a few more turns and were again in ADV bike heaven as we found road after road that had everything without having anything difficult. Eventually we found a nice little bridge and creek for a rest stop a fair distance from Wadbilliga NP (you had to be there).

[​IMG]

Short rest over we kept onwards on what could again be described as sensational roads, great views and fun fun fun. It was somewhere in here that another bike had a snooze but no pics, no proof.

In amongst this we took a few side tracks only to be halted by the condition of the track or damn big piles of dirt blocking our path at the bomb explosion site (we called it that, was a logging area).

But, this only meant that we got to do the Valleys, and what valleys they are, simply stunning. The road was magnificent, grippy and clean with good visibility, the paddocks lush and the cattle huge.

Now, while I said the roads were good, I did have a moment and headed bush on the red pig, leaving the road and cutting a trail of destruction through two ditches but stopped before the barbwire fence with no scratches to be found (on the bike anyway). Regathered myself, got the bike out and continued on laughing heartily in the helmet and cursing my lapse of concentration (damn views).

Eventually we found ourselves at the intersection with the Cooma/Braidwood road (no mention of blondes in Magnas here).

[​IMG]

Deciding to head to Majors Creek we turned right and made haste while the sun shone, until we hit mud, then we just hung on until the bikes stopped sliding before getting on it again.

After a while we found the turn-off we were seeking and headed to Majors Creek pub for a refreshing drink.

[​IMG]

The Strom was getting mud patterns by now.

[​IMG]

Anyhow we made the pub, had a drink and realising that it was getting late (19:30) we ordered some food. What we got was good quality pub food for four hungry guys for $45 in total, and included in that was a serenade as Dave joined in with visitors in a singalong (and made himself a friend). But that friend would not be the publican as he didn't take kindly to Dave's exit strategy from the parking area, but hey, the visitors loved it and no doubt bought more beer to celebrate.

Oh yeah, if you haven't guessed that is the end of my pics for the day but others may have some.

From here given it was near 20:30 we decided to take the tar road to Araluen before heading to Moruya for the night. Now, I typed Tar, and that is what was said but instead we just drove off the edge of teh cliffs and took teh tight twisty fantastically fun dirt road to Araluen. Not to easy being dark but when you factor in fog with 10 metre visibility (if that) it was an experience, and I enjoyed every minute of it. Heaps fun.

We passed through Araluen to some looks of bemusement from the pub (or was it pity) as we headed into the darkness fo the Araluen - Moruya road. Now, I say darkness because that is what it was to be all the way to Moruya.

This little part of the ride was interesting as besides being night, there had been a storm earlier that day (so two of us got told when stopped at one point). Now, where there are storms, there could be mud, in daylight visible, at night not so and we found it but had fun. We also found wombats, wallabies, roos etc but all behaved and kept to their side, although one beloligerent wombat did have an attitude problem.

This part of the day I would describe as terrifying but heaps fun, challenging but heaps fun, you imaging every negative of ADV riding and this ride was it, but it was also every positive. I ended so glad it was over (15 hours for the day in the saddle does that), but so damn hyped I could not easily get to sleep near two hours later.

The entire day had been simply sensational fun with great company on great roads with awesome scenery and having conquered my first true creek crossing.

So, after a night's sleep we awoke to a hell of a bright sunny day with who knows what in store.

But we also woke sore, really sore and with teh heat already climbing at 0800 we decided to just head home but with full intention to do Shallow Crossing.

After a quick check of maps it was decided to throw in Runnyford Road for good measure, so we bade farewell to our hosts and tour glide (thanks greatly for the hospitality) and headed to the nearest fuel stop to replenish the bikes. From there it was decided to grab a feed at Mogo before starting on the dirt for the day.

So, just north of Mogo we took the turn we were after for Runnyford Road and headed onto a surface that was, well not that confidence inspiring being loos gravel type rocks but was heaps of fun as was the road. This is a surprising road as it has tight corners (heaps of 90 degree stuff) as it follows creeks but it also has some open sections and a gorgeous little bridge and nearby lake.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After enjoying the scenery for a few minutes we remounted and headed to Nelligen on the rest of Runnyford road which continued in much the same vein with it's testing sections and fantastic mountain views.

From Nelligen we were heading to the famous Shallow Crossing and never having been there fore I was really looking forward to it.

The road, well I found it very tough in places with recent heavy rains leaving mud at the most inopportune places and for some reason I did not expect something as tight. Not that it wasn't fund as I just stayed in second and gunned the Strom out of corners getting sideways and having a blast, all the time being careful not to overdo it and go for a swim in the all to close for comfort Clyde.

Before we could get to Shallow Crossing however we had to find our way through other causeways and mud puddles all the time using them as training for the big one. ;D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And finally we got there, Shallow Crossing.

Now, when I arrived Greg was already across the other side so I just headed straight in (refer Greg's video) and just gave it some to please the attendant crowd. Only thing was I gave it so much I ended up blinding myself by splashing the water into my own eyes but I still managed to please the kids.

At this point I got the camera and decided to get some piccies of Al and Greg who made various trips trying to out do my bow wave. Both succeeded.

First Greg (but he has already posted this on).

[​IMG]

The a sequence series of Al.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After all this fun it is safe to say that we were soaked and both Greg and I left Shallow Crossing with a bit of water in the boots.

The spare water was to be left a Milton pub later but not before another great little run on yet another great road (yes I admit it may bore you but bad luck ;D ). This little road had me in a groove and loving every minute, including the blind out of nowhere hairpins before we had a little rest stop.

[​IMG]

From here it was out to Milton pub for a few well earnt drinks, a reminisce of the trip and and emptying of the boots with (failed) attempts to dry the socks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And that is it, trip over, report near finished.

Now, with that done I would like to express a great thanks to Dave, Jody and family for their hospitality as well as Dave, Greg and Al for the company.

While I started the first day unsure of how long I would stay due to the wrist, I am so damn glad that I stuck it out and took tyhe offer as the roads, scenery and experience were truly fantastic and I loved every minute of it.

Full pic gallery: http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b100/gco0307/Tousers%20Trek/?start=all

Garry
  2. Lewy

Lewy Minus the LC8

Oddometer:
    Nice one Gaz

I couldn't resist posting that pic of me, just like you couldn't posting the one of mine having a rest:rofl

For those that want to know where we went

Day one Yes we did ride for nearly 12 hours and the top speed of a 950 is 294km/h:huh

Day 2
  3. Lewy

Lewy Minus the LC8

Oddometer:
  4. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like a fabulous D-S ride... the X Challenge looks particularly good in its element!! Thanks for posting :thumb
  5. rosscoact

rosscoact need constant supervision

Oddometer:
    Great report, looks like a blast, see you down there some time

rossco
  6. jtb

jtb Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome!

Thanks for posting:clap
  7. upsidedowngreg

upsidedowngreg Gravel Surfer

Oddometer:
    Nice ride report and photos: I saw you guys turn onto River Road at Nelligen (the shallow crossing road) and was wondering if there would be a report on ADV rider.

My inlaws have some property opposite "River Road and I saw you guys ride past, and was wishing I could have joined you.

upsidedown greg :D
  8. Lewy

Lewy Minus the LC8

Oddometer:
    I hope you weren't driving a Nissan Patrol and wearing a Mullet.:D He tried to take Gaz and Al out by using the whole road.
  9. Andrew2

Andrew2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :cry Can you not take no for an answer next time you ask me to come along please Greg:cry .

Great report though:clap
    A2
  10. Lewy

Lewy Minus the LC8

Oddometer:
    You would have had a ball Andrew.

Next time I will send Garry round and he can drag you along:D
  11. VDG

VDG Long timer

Oddometer:
    :clap :clap :clap Wow great pics and report. Some landascapes looks pretty similiar as here in Brazil.
    Thanks for posting.
  12. Dave81

Dave81 it's all good

Oddometer:
    Looks like you guys had an awesome time great pics and terain looks great never realised we had so many roads to explore so close to home thankyou for posting:D
  13. IBOO57

IBOO57 Extreme Noob

Oddometer:
    Looks like you guys had fun Garry.
    Good read and some excellent pics also.
  14. humdinger

humdinger bp

Oddometer:
    Great piccys fellas! Sorry to miss this one but will plan another soon!
    How do ya like the Beema Al !?
    Weather looked awesome, not so hot and no dust!!!
    :thumb
  15. X-Rated

X-Rated Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Adam - mate, you missed a great couple of days!

The X-bike is definitely a LOT easier to shove around the dirt than the Buell would have been! I miss the rapid highway cruising of the big Buell, but the dirty fun the rest of the time more than makes up for it...

Hope to see you on the next one.

Al
  16. upsidedowngreg

upsidedowngreg Gravel Surfer

Oddometer:
    LC8Lewy
    No 4WD and no mullet..:D xmas and easter is a bad time for idiots in 4WDs around that area, come to think of it, its a bad time for idiots in 4WDs in most areas.

I was tooling around on a tractor in a paddock when I saw you ride past. Not having as much fun as you guys were but the tractor was orange.