Two engineers ride the MABDR (Mid Atlantic Backcountry Discovery Route)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Am.E, May 31, 2018.

1. CaptnSlo

CaptnSlo Derelicte

Oddometer:
    I always enjoy your ride reports - this one is no exception. My husband and I did the MABDR in VA and parts of WV and it was good to read what to expect points north in your very detailed write-up. Great photos too.
  2. ADV_Dan

ADV_Dan n00b

Oddometer:
    Great writeup! I ran into you guys on Monday just north of Brandwine when you were eating lunch. I was headed south bound on my red/white/blue Africa Twin on a 1-nighter out-and-back from DC.

As you aptly predict, I indeed dumped my bike (in spectacular fashion) in the deepest part of thr northernmost river crossing... my penance for not taking your advice was soaking wet boots for the next 24 hours!
    RIVERD06 and Am.E like this.
  3. JNXPILOT

JNXPILOT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice report. I plan to do this ride in the near future. What GPS do you use? And did you make it back in one day?
  4. BuiltnotBought

BuiltnotBought Perpetual Project

Oddometer:
    Glad you enjoyed PA, its a wonderful state! I'll admit slight bias since its my home state :) Your pics make me a bit homesick. I am planning a trip on the TWVT this summer and if time allows I want to hook up with the PA portion of the MABDR on the return leg.
  5. Am.E

Am.E Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Which dog, ours? He had a great vacation with my parents while we rode dirtbikes in a 2000 mi circle:) He was probably fed too much people food. Then he rode back with me in the little pick up and gave the motos the stink eye the whole way. (He gets so sad when we put on moto gear. Oh for a sidecar:)
    95Monster likes this.
  6. Am.E

Am.E Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pics or it didn't happen! :lol3 Seriously, sorry, I hope it didn't ruin your trip. I'm telling you, my pics and those vids make it look pretty tame, but it was deeper and bumpier than it appeared, yes?
  7. Am.E

Am.E Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Our GPS is currently a Garmin Montana....something...600 maybe. We've had it about 4 or 5 years now. Its ok, barely. It supports tracks. (Why are all GPS devices so terrible???) No, we did not make it back in one day. It took us 2 days by road (but not interstate) to ride back to our starting point in SW VA.
  8. awaregeek

awaregeek Bill J.

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the great writeup and helpful tips. My buddy in NC and I in VA are linking up to do this route first week of October 2018, set aside about 9 days!!
  9. _trogdor_

_trogdor_ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing your ride.

That's a nice wide looking saddle on the WR. Is it any good? And where do I get one?
  10. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Great photos and write up. America the beautiful.
  11. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Nice!
  12. flashbang

flashbang Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Always glad to see ride reports of riders coming by my area in Va.Enjoyed your report.
  13. Am.E

Am.E Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    LOL. That is actually a Russell Day Long seat on the 2016 WR250R. It came with the bike when my husband bought it used. He LOVES that seat. Neither if us would ever have dropped the money to buy it, but now that he's had one, he is a believer. Most comfortable motorcycle seat he has ever had, by a wide margin. Its not a seat style normally associated with dual sport or dirt bikes, and was an unexpected choice by a prior owner. Husband says the wide seat doesn't interfere with off-road riding and standing nearly as much as it might look. He says it only gets in the way a bit when standing going down steep hills. Uphill, level ground, and slight downhills are no problem for standing or sitting while riding and moving around. Its hideously ugly, and I mock him endlessly about it. However, he always gets the last laugh at the end of the day when my butt and lower back are sore (and I've got a seat concepts, which makes good seats), and he still feels great.

(Also, I love your adv handle...we've got a burninator tshirt somewhere I should dig out...:)
  14. adventurelounger

adventurelounger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hiya Amy. We corresponded a bit last summer when I was planning a MABDR ride...which never materialized. (My riding buddy and I couldn't get dates to work, so I wound up riding/ferrying to Nova Scotia. Ride report here: https://longitudeandgratitude.blog/2019/01/27/oh-canada/ Thought you might enjoy (not quite the scale of your CA adventures, but 3 days of fun). Now that spring is here, I'm gonna take a second whack at MABDR. Thanks again for your pointers on it!
    Am.E likes this.
  15. Am.E

Am.E Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have fun! Its been so WET this spring, incredible amounts of rain. Hope you get a dry spell, and those water crossings have time to come down a bit.

Nice report! Great writing. Also, I didn't realize the CAT was running again. It was not when we rode to Nova Scotia in 2010. Get thee back there and ride the Cabot Trail. Also, must eat dining at the Wild Caraway if its still there, worth going out of your way.