Two Flat Landers, Colorado Mountain Passes on an F800GS and 640 Adventure.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by EnderTheX, Aug 21, 2010.

1. knybanjo

knybanjo kinda slow

Oddometer:
    :clap Awesome pics guys!! :thumb:thumb

A lot of them look very familiar, I absolutely love riding out there!! :raabia :ricky
  2. zzlejeune

zzlejeune Wanna-be Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No sir....... Ben S. & Jeff F.
  3. Bad Gene Poole

Bad Gene Poole n00b

Oddometer:
    Well, I am new at DSing and this forum but not for the area that you were in this summer. I spend my summers in Silverton and will be there again beginning the first of May next year. I grew up in Montrose and these are old stomping grounds for me. One year we made a bit of a record by doing BB more than a dozen times in one year. I have driven for a tour company and have taken many tourists around all of the passes. I have played around on those passes and areas with my Cherokee that the tour company will not let me take their vehicles.

What I am getting at is that I will be in Silverton again this summer and would be available to give any information that you would like and maybe participate with you on some of the trails. I've just gotten myself A KLR650 and am trying to get some things straightened out with it and some dirt experience.

I spend my winters in the DFW area and would like to get together with anyone that wants to talk about the Silverton area. It's a great, wonderful place to spend the summer.

Let the fun begin.

Gene

PS Those two old ladies that you talked to at the visitor center were neighbors of mine.
  4. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks! You are very lucky to live out there!!! It is kind of hard to take a weekend to go to Colorado :eek1

Sounds like fun Gene! Let me know when you are in town and we should get together and discuss riding in Colorado! Always good to get info from a local who knows the lay of the land.

Now that you are finally on the right set of wheels I'm sure the passes will be a whole new experience, bikes can do that stuff much faster than cars can! :lol3
  5. knybanjo

knybanjo kinda slow

Oddometer:
    :lol3
    I don't live there, just love riding there. I'm in the Carolinas and it's a special occasion for me, just like it was for you! :wave

Now get out and take another epic ride and I'll be looking forward to the report! :thumb
  6. woody's wheel works

woody's wheel works Built to Last Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    just want ya to know how much i appreciate your reports,,,eloquent in their simplicity and candor,,,,

my kinda stuff,,keep it up wherever you ride....

FYI,,,Joseph Campbell in his seminal tale called 'the hero with a thousand faces'...provides the blueprint of the the heroes journey,,,,the last and most important being,,,not just making it through hell n back but most importantly making it back to your fellow man and SHARING WHAT YOU LEARNED ie the boon to your fellow man....

in that sense you are one of ADVriders very best:thumb

soooo,when ya have the itch to return to my stomping grounds,,cruise on by ,,,will give ya the tour and celebrate life...

oh ,,n this too
    :beer
    woody
  7. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
    :D Thanks Woody! After posting up this report and learning more about all the wheel bearing issues (that I and others are having with the F8) I was surprised to see you live in Colorado. Too bad we didn't have time to cruise by and do some wheel mending, my rear hub may have to be back to Colorado before I get to go :eek1

I'm happy to hear people like the info presented in this report, I just bought a GoPro HD helmet cam (haven't installed it yet) to supplement Chris' helmet cam so we can get some cool video of the harder trails. Usually we are hanging on for dear life so it is had to stop and take pictures (stopping on the tough sections makes them much more challenging). :lol3

I bet most of these passes are covered in snow right now... maybe people are already skiing down the slopes? I'll take my warmer winters down here for now :freaky
  8. EisenWill

EisenWill Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Those are some really nice shots. I think you captured the beauty of the San Juan mtns very nicely. I lived in Silverton for many years & pretty much gave up on trying to capture the look of the mountains. I was constantly frustrated that my pictures paled in comparison to the real thing. But I never really had the patience or attention span to do the necessary editing either. Not to mention that I rarely rode in a manner conducive to taking lots of pics.

Kudos to you sir! :clap:thumb

Will.
  9. PHILinFRANCE

PHILinFRANCE Long timer

Oddometer:
    you Lucky
    Barstewards
  10. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer:

Thanks Will :shog I don't think anyone can capture the grandeur of the San Juans, especially not me with my tiny but trusty Canon D10 :lol3

Living in Silverton must have been a trip, that town is really small and surrounded by foreboding wilderness! I wish I could spend a summer there but living there would be tough! :clap

Hahhaa, lucky yes, we can drive to Colorado from Texas, you might have to do some boat or airplane thing :rofl

Isn't there some cool motorcycling to do in Europe? You guys are the lucky ones!
  11. PHILinFRANCE

PHILinFRANCE Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Pyrenees are only 4hrs south of us and i keep looking at the DRZ 400. It'll get me down there ok and not to big to throw around the hills......just need to sneek one into the garage without her seeing:evil
    Phil
  12. aDave

aDave Lovin' Life!

Oddometer:
    Your extensive work here has greatly assisted me in getting a better handle on these great passes in SW Colorado. I also really enjoyed your rating scale and picture processing tutorial.

Keep up the good work...:clap

With kind regards,
    Dave
  13. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dave :D The lack of a universal rating scale shows the complexity of rating different trails. I plan on using the same scale for future trips, always followed with a good bit of explanation on how the ratings work so readers can get some useful info from it. I know some inmates have held lengthy debates on a universal motorcycle rating scale, maybe it would benefit us to revisit these in an effort to unify the motorcycling community?

Cheers :freaky
  14. leftystrat62

leftystrat62 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you've seen the movie PAT IT FORWARD-you guys are doing just that with sharing this excellent ride report. Taking the time to post pictures,write the commentary,share gps tracks-this is all what makes this ADV site so great.
    I'd never have known about such rides like this if it weren't for guys like you giving back/paying it forward-so thanks.
    This thread has lead me to buy a Colorado Atlas with the hopes of making it out there some day soon. I'm curious about using google earth to help navigate. Do you use the free google earth,or is there something to subscribe to to get the detailed images that you've posted? I'm a bit "slow" when it comes to the computer so anything to lead me in the right direction would be appreciated.
    Cheers
  15. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
    Hey Lefty, thanks for the karma points :D, I plan on doing the same for all my rides, sharing data and critical info. ADV certainly gave me the best info (this is the only site I use to gather data on my adventures, sometime it leads me to other links too though) and I can never repay the value of the quick breaks I can take a work to check out some ADV rides and pictures :lol3

Google earth is a great tool, especially if you have a Garmin GPS or the track files people share. I haven't tried other GPS types but I guess anything that can record your tracks should be able to upload to google earth. I only use the free version (earth.google.com) that I downloaded to my computer (I don't know what the "pro" version offers, maybe I will try the 7 day trial...)

One really sweet feature of google earth is when you zoom in on areas you will start to see little blue squares show up and you can click on them to see pictures people have taken in that location (sometimes the location isn't exact). This helped me get an idea of some of the trails, no guarantee there will be pictures everywhere you look though :D

Good luck! I think google earth is relatively easy to use (compared to my GPS software) but you may want a decent computer to make it comfortable.

:freaky
  16. leftystrat62

leftystrat62 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My hands are actually sweating just looking at this picture,imagining myself going for this. Looks very challenging! I'm sure it's technically challenging,but even more so mentally challenging.
  17. bomose

bomose Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great ride report, guys. I was out there last summer with some friends. We came across a guy From Canada at the ledges at Black Bear on a fully loaded GS 1200 with camping equipment and all. He had dropped it 3 times before the ledges and was he ever glad to see us! I helped him walk it down. But he made it.
  18. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer:

Oh yeah, a big bike like the 1200GS would be real tough to get down without help....

I wonder what Black Bear Pass looks like right now in the winter? Does anyone know if you are allowed to hike over the pass in the snow? :evil
  19. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have no idea, but I'd like to see your pics when you do it.:D
  20. thinairflyer

thinairflyer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've ridden my bone stock '85 KLR250 over several of those passes, not the very hard ones.... :-) I weighed about 135 and was carrying about 40 lbs. of gear on the rear rack. It ran just fine without even rejetting. It definitely lost some power above 12,000' but never really faltered. It idled a good bit slower at the top of the passes but I didn't even bother to adjust the idle speed. If I go there again (planned for this summer) I will go down a tooth or two on the front sprocket which will make gear selection a little easier. Thinairflyer