Two Flat Landers, Colorado Mountain Passes on an F800GS and 640 Adventure.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by EnderTheX, Aug 21, 2010.

1. thinairflyer

thinairflyer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First what a great ride report! Thanks!

I have two Dual Sports, a KLR250 and DR650, both of which I ride in Colorado (I live at 9,300' elevation in the Wet Mountains about 50 miles west of Pueblo) (Also, I'm 71 years old so no longer have the strength nor stamina for the really rough stuff LOL!) A few months ago, while on the DR650, I got on an extremely steep, loose, rough section of the Rainbow Trail which runs along the east side of the Sangre De Christo range at about 10,000' elevation. I would normally have stayed away from a section like this if on the 650 but a part of the group I was riding with had gone ahead when they were supposed to turn back and I felt obligated not to lose touch with them as they were guests and not familiar with the area.

As to the title of this post; the front brake on the DR650 is just too powerful in stock trim in my opinion for serious rough off road riding, even using one finger I constantly locked the front wheel making it very difficult to get down the steep loose trail.

If you are planning to ride the rough stuff here and you have a strong front brake I strongly suggest you go to a different lining or grind off some of the lining to make for less contact area, you will have a more pleasant riding experience.
  2. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer:

Thanks! I agree some softer front brakes would do wonders in the loose stuff. I believe the strength is not as much of an issue as my ability to minutely modulate the brake lever during sphincter puckering moments! :eek1

Unfortunately I won't be doing any brake modifications since they need to work overtime on pavement if I encounter a minivan driven by a texting soccermom swerving erratically :rofl
  3. HighTechCoonass

HighTechCoonass Living the Dream....

Oddometer:
    What a great resourse for our trip in July! I need to do some planning- I can't do all these trails with a loaded down bike!! :eek1
  4. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
    Cool! Should be a good time to be out there. The only ones that would be iffy with a loaded bike are Imogene and Black Bear, but then if you have a buddy to help out and ride like mad... go for it! :freaky
  5. themobb

themobb Is this thing on???

Oddometer:
    Thanks again, Oliver and Chris

What a great resource you guys have created. :clap

I'll be in Co in July with the 800GS and the D10!! Will definitely be starting with the easy stuff... (old guy)

PS: my only complaint about the D10 is the lack of a shutter priority setting. I would like to use higher shutter speeds while moving. Did you mostly use Auto?

Thanks again,

Lance
  6. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks Lance! Glad you like the report and can use some of the info. Don't forget about the cool twisties too! I've been dreaming about those mountain roads but we stuck to the dirt mostly to get in as many passes as possible.

Yeah, I usually use center weighted auto on the D10 and take many pictures of the same view while trying different spots in the picture for the center weight (half click on a spot then move to the picture and full click). You can manually set the ISO higher but I just use auto so I don't forget to set it back down :D

I haven't tried many moving shots... some have turned out OK and some really blurry, not sure what I was doing. I like just holding the button down and taking lots of shots at once (16gig card... can't really fill it up in a week). Doing this while panning or tracking and moving to eliminate blurring may get a good picture once in a while.

You can tell I'm not a pro photographer :D, I don't know all the lingo... I just take lots of pics and try to find interesting views. Let me know if you find a good setting for moving pics!!

:freaky
  7. DUALATP

DUALATP Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Amazing Ride Report...:clap:clap:clap:clap
  8. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing. absolute wow pics!
  9. Brown Dog

Brown Dog North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys for your Suggestions & Info :thumb

We just returned home from Colorado riding over 610 miles 6 days all around Silverton,
    Ouray, Lake City, Rico, Ophir & Telluride :clap

I hoped to get a lot more miles in, but I broke a Chain :cry

We did [not in this order] :

Red Mtn Pass
    Eureka Gulch 3 times
    Gladstone / Lake Como
    Nellie Crk
    Maggie & Minnie Gulch
    Clear Lake
    California Pass :clap
    Engineer Pass :clap
    Cinnamon Pass
    Cork Screw Pass
    Hurricane Pass
    Stony Pass :clap twice
    Hancock Pass
    Picayne / Placier Gulch :clap
    Ophir Pass including the Rocky Trail :eek1 twice
    Kendall Mtn :clap twice
    Black Bear Pass / Bridal Veil Falls :clap
    Yankee Boy Basin :clap
    Wager Gulch / Carson :clap
    Imogene Pass :clap twice
    Ophir Tunnel twice
    Lost Trail Crk #821 :clap
    Poughkeepsie Gulch up & down :clap :eek1 :clap
    All of Alpine Loop
    Bolam Pass / Graysill Mine :clap
    Hwy 550 from Purgatory to Ouray :clap
    Rio Grande
    Rico
    Animas Forks twice
    Tom Boy Basin twice
    Creede
    Pearl & Heart Lakes

That's all I can Remember :wink:
  10. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
    Cool! That is an impressive list! I want to go back and do some of the harder trails with a smaller bike... You really have to plan well to hit all those in only 6 days.

Hopefully in a few weeks Chris and I will be back there as part of an extended trip and do Stoney among others and show Black Bear and Imogene who's boss after they gave us a hard time last year! :D
  11. Brown Dog

Oddometer:
    We wanna go back too & cover some more ground next Summer :nod

I just wish I had you guys skill & time, to do an impressive RR like yours :thumb
  12. PYG RYDR

PYG RYDR Adventure-Dual Sport

Oddometer:
    I wanted thank the Two Flat Landers for the excellent RR and for sharing their tracks.

I and about 10 others traveled to Silverton end of July and used all 5 tracks and we had a blast.

Excellent riding, scenery and views!

Will return to ride it again.

Regards,
  13. mrprez

mrprez KJ4WMZ

Oddometer:
    Brown Dog, where did you guys stay while you were out there? Did you base camp or stay in town? If my 2011 western TAT ride get the final axe (canceled 3 times already), I will haul the DRZ to CO and ride the passes in early Oct. I'd like to camp if possible but I know the mornings are going to be pretty cold up there.
  14. Brown Dog

Oddometer:
    We stayed at SILVERTON Hostel every night :thumb
    I'm no camper with a bad back :cry
    October may be too late for the Higher Passes :scratch
    We got sleeted, hailed then SNOWED on :eek1 coming down
    Imogene to Yankee Boy Basin !!!
    I was amazed but had been warned by Geek & others.
  15. mrprez

mrprez KJ4WMZ

Oddometer:
    Ok thanks. Well, I was in Telluride in June and got snowed on!
  16. JNG6

JNG6 Adventurer

Oddometer:

The truth about the high country in Colorado is that you can have snow any day of the year.:deal By October you will probably see rain or snow everyday and the trails will be wet and muddy. Keep an eye on the weather leading up for any major storms in the area. If there aren't any I say go for it! What's the worst that can happen?.....You stick to the miles and miles of trails at lower elevations and get muddy!:clap
  17. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
    Awesome! Really glad yall could use our tracks and enjoy the area :freaky Let us know if you are doing a ride report :evil

This is going to make our planned trip at the end of this month interesting. Chris and I will be back in this general area for a few weeks and going to try some of the more crazy trails on smaller bikes. I expect to have wet boots every day :clap
  18. JNG6

JNG6 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ENDERTHEX........FYI Snow in Telluride area last night down to about 8000ft. :eek1 The town of Telluride is almost 8750. Good news is if anything stuck to the ground it should be gone in a day or so.
  19. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer:

Oh no! We are going to be in that area in about a week. I don't mind a bit of snowy slush but Chris can't handle the cold :baby

Hopefully it will clear up enough for us to conquer Black Bear and Imogene again! :freaky
  20. leftystrat62

leftystrat62 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    One of my favorite ride reports deserves a bump. Absolutely loved it.