Gone Two For One Vintage Bultaco Special! $1500 In St George , UT

Discussion in 'Bikes' started by aftrn, Nov 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aftrn

aftrn Enabler Supporter

Oddometer:
    No you are not seeing double! This is actually a pair of virtually identical 1978 Bultaco Frontera 370s. I drove over to Colorado a few weeks back to pick up a vintage Yamaha trials bike from a friend and these ended up on my trailer and coming back to southern Utah with me too. I’m no vintage cross country guy but I just couldn’t bear to see these cool bikes languishing in the barn any longer. They are truly almost identical. Both are one owner bikes that were purchased new in Colorado back in 1978. I even have one of the original owners manuals. The owner told me that they used them extensively for about 10 years and when they were ready for a complete refresh about 2001 they both went to a trusted mechanic who went through them completely; seals, bearings, chains, carb clean, top ends (piston, rings, wrist pins) grips, cables and tires. This is why they look like twins. Then, due to life circumstances they were ridden a little (look at the tires to see how little use they must have had since the rebuild) then ended up marooned in an unheated leaky barn under a good tarp where they resided with the hay and the old Christmas decorations until I pulled them out and brought them home.

The good: both bikes are totally complete…seats, tanks, the hard to find side panels, all hardware, airboxes, etc…you get the idea. Nobody has poached anything to make the tractor work or whatever. There is also no damage. Bars are straight, frames are not bent, nothing too beat, tanks are weathered but not crushed, rims aren’t bent, even the original pipes are pretty straight. Works Performance shock too!

The bad: One bike has a couple of broken spokes, one of the seats has a big indent in the foam from a 4x6 laying on it for 20 years, one machine kicks though with great compression while the other one doesn’t want to kick through and I’m not forcing it. Neither bike has the lighting kit (the owner said they never did) and the little tool boxes that bolt to the top of the tank are gone. One of the left side cases has been welded do to an obvious encounter with a Colorado rock in the past.

I have not tried starting either of them since once I go in that far I’m hopeless to give up on an abandoned orphan and I’ll end up going all the way and I just don’t have the time. I already have three other restoration projects in the pipeline. The owner told me the classic line “they both ran great when parked” which I actually believe since the rest of the bikes are all there and nothing is missing. With the one that kicks through it might as easy as fresh fuel and oil and maybe a spark plug. If nothing else you have more than enough parts to make one perfect one and have a ton of parts to sell or use as spares.

No trades please since if you saw my garage you would know why I can’t take another bike. Heck, even in the pics I took you can see an early 60’s VW project that is in the line to get redone. SO, it’s a two for one special at $1500 obo. No titles since they are dirt bikes, just bills of sale. If you want any specific photos just let me know. I’m in southern Utah.

IMG_0768.jpeg IMG_0779.jpeg IMG_0778.jpeg IMG_0769.jpeg IMG_0770.jpeg IMG_0771.jpeg IMG_0772.jpeg IMG_0773.jpeg IMG_0776.jpeg IMG_0783.jpeg IMG_0784.jpeg IMG_0785.jpeg IMG_0788.jpeg IMG_0789.jpeg IMG_0791.jpeg IMG_0792.jpeg IMG_0794.jpeg IMG_0782.jpeg
  2. Wierdrider

Wierdrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very cool
    GLWS
    Yellow Dog likes this.
  3. Sno Dawg

Sno Dawg Long timer

Oddometer:
    OMG - those are time capsule and your price is outstanding. I wish shipping them east would not cost so much. I am still checking on that.

Sno Dawg
  4. Sno Dawg

Sno Dawg Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. Bumpaman

Bumpaman Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Foot of the Sangre de Cristos and Music City, TX.
    PM sent
  6. aftrn

aftrn Enabler Supporter

Oddometer:
    PMs replied to and a gentleman is driving south to St George from Salt Lake as we speak. Who knew that that there was so much love for a couple of old bulls. :clap Great to see these cool steeds get some much needed attention.

The twins are sold to a new owner who plans to get the running and ride them! :clap
    Sno Dawg likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.