Two Gringos in Ecuador

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by swdirtrider, Feb 9, 2021.

1. wellcraft

wellcraft Long timer

Oddometer:
    Being retired is a huge blessing and I was fortunate to retire in my fifties but the downside is all my friends still work and have families so my road trips are usually solo. But better to ride solo than not ride at all
  2. swdirtrider

swdirtrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    8CD04DCF-11FE-4B5C-92DD-ADFE4960C100.jpeg
    @scurry0 is Steve. He’s the one helping with my piss poor 40 year old memory. We met Steve for the first time in Banos on day 5. We crossed paths everyday after that. But we will get to Steve later=). He’s no spring chicken, and I say that with lots of admiration and respect. Steve proved to us that age really is only a number.
    Thanks for giving me an excuse to post one of my favorite pictures from Ecuador.
  3. princess jamaica

princess jamaica OLD DOG-NEW TRICKS

Oddometer:
    Did you try the guinea pig?We spent 6 weeks in Ecuador about 9 years ago.We were looking at it as a retirement option.While we loved it,it was going to be too complicated for us to go back and forth from the states(5 dogs).We ended up in Baja,and couldn't be happier.We met Court when he was working out of a very small shop,and obviously his business has grown.He had a great reputation then as well.For anyone thinking about going,also consider the Galapagos.Great RR,thanks for taking us along.
    EZ-D likes this.
  4. Tiggerrrrider

Tiggerrrrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Same here, retired at 54 but also swapped countries (UK to USA) so all my riding buddies were/are 3000mls away, but other than Sunday pootles out with the missus on her 750 Shadow, l ride solo & enjoy it more than group riding! 19402141_662354680620712_1186464613284536401_o.jpg
    Old Codger, Cal, BillUA and 1 other person like this.
  5. wellcraft

wellcraft Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome picture where was it taken? I enjoy riding solo when I'm doing day trips and I enjoy riding in small groups, 4-6 riders, but don't like riding in large groups. I rode with a friend out out to Montana from PA last July and it was a much better trip with two than just one, someone to talk with, someone to share expenses, someone along in case of emergency. We rode some pretty remote roads and if there was a accident or breakdown riding solo 50 miles from civilization wouldn't have been fun.
    KTM 500 EXC Six Dais likes this.
  6. Tiggerrrrider

Tiggerrrrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mount Evans Colorado.
  7. wellcraft

wellcraft Long timer

Oddometer:
    Didn't recognize the road, we rode MT Evans July 2019 and had a great time except for the hail that started coming down once we started back down the mountain. Hail, narrow roads, steep drop offs and motorcycles don't mix well :-)
  8. swdirtrider

swdirtrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Don’t have much time today for a ride report. Both my kids are getting their wisdom teeth taken out so I will leave you with Day 3. This turned out to be one of the most memorable rides of my life. I think Sam Manicom put it best with this quote
    8E8ADABE-F6B4-4081-9412-A38CFD40C185.jpeg

Day 3 from Canoa to Quevedo
  9. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
  10. Madscientist

Madscientist Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Really enjoying this report!
  11. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    That was a f*ckin' outstanding video @swdirtrider! First off, great work with the drone - nice job chasing your buddy and keeping him in frame. Have a fair amount of experience doing/attempting that and it's not easy.

That river crossing was nucking futs man; talk about a narrow path of wood to follow. I can't imagine trying to do that if the wood was wet - be a nightmare. And really cool crossing the river on that ferry.

Totally enjoyed the update, hope the kids are ok - getting wisdom teeth out sucks.

Look forward to the report from the day and what comes next!
    swdirtrider, MazztheSpazz and dano619 like this.
  12. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    Beat me to it lol.

Loved Canoa (and Montanita)
  13. scurry0

scurry0 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Dan. Ecuador and Peru are stand outs.
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.
  14. AlfromNH

AlfromNH Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    My nephew and I did the self-guided Dirt Deluxe tour a couple years ago. Well before the pandemic, but like you it seemed like we were the only people at most of the places we stayed.

The accommodations were world class, every night I was thinking “I’d like to come spend a week just in this place”. Freedom runs a great operation, everything is extremely well thought out. All I can say is, pick a tour that looks good to you, and go!
  15. Phlyn' Phil

Phlyn' Phil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great Video! and Great Report, thanks for taking us along!
  16. Blue295

Blue295 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    They offer guided tours and having taken one,I can highly recommend it. Freedom is a fantastic organization.
    swdirtrider likes this.
  17. swdirtrider

swdirtrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Today was planned as a laid back 4-5 hour road ride, leaving at 11ish, to the town of Quevedo. The night before we made the decision to get an early start and be on the road by 8:30. We both hoped to find more unique and exciting experiences, much like the previous two days. We started the morning the same way we left the night before. Breakfast was in the bar/restaurant, where we met another Expat. This couple had lived in Ecuador for 3 years and came to Canoa for the amazing paragliding. We shared some flying stories before heading out. It became very apparent the laid back lifestyle, low cost of living, and hospitable people made this a very desirable place to have a retirement home.
    BDDDA301-3F43-4CAA-99AC-B4EF40AD0EE7.jpeg
    8BCACE81-441F-4647-A3E3-A421C8E46E55.jpeg
    2F6FE860-34E8-4BDF-BEAC-7A8BEEF86051.jpeg

With the bikes packed up, we scrolled through the GPS to find today’s route. The first one we found said, “Day 3 Dirt”. Since we asked for a dual sport ride, we figured that would be the ticket. All loaded up, we started southbound along the Pacific towards Bahia De Caraquez. It was a perfect morning to ride, temps in the 60s, a light sea breeze, and mostly sunny. We decided to make a quick gas stop since didn’t know how the day would unfold. We had a great chat with a local cop who informed us of the great off-road riding just east of here in the hills. We wished for more time to explore, but maybe next time, we wanted to see what our well planned route had in store.
    7FD1C28C-8240-4E6E-8377-CB405F6F5073.jpeg
    246C36F3-FBA4-487E-955F-C223A1D22EB6.jpeg
    3DA60B32-22B5-42B8-A42F-C7FDFD9D4F93.jpeg

We started eastbound away from the water and towards the hills. Being on a motorcycle, we truly felt immersed in the country. The smell of the ocean was being replaced with smell of shrimp farms. Hotels and beach homes morphed into small coastal huts and hard working farms. Today was yet again shaping up to be another brilliant glimpse into what all Ecuador has to offer. Little did we know just how amazing it would be!
  18. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice cliff hanger and teaser @swdirtrider! Damn great pics too; need to get my arse south. Think my buddies might still be down there riding, need to check in with them and find out.
    swdirtrider likes this.
  19. skydawg

skydawg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m a pilot and often had 2 day layovers in Quito and would rent YZF450s from a company called Moto Loco and ventured into the mountains....a magical place for riding. ...and I was even being paid to be there, which technically allowed me to tell women I’m a professional rider. Airline later said no high risk activities on layovers after one of us went down hard in Argentina or Chile causing a flight to be cancelled next day. But, your notes are prompting me to return to the scene of the crime on my own dime and will give Freedom a call. Thanks.
    sv74, glittleman, HiJincs and 2 others like this.
  20. swdirtrider

swdirtrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Shortly after 10am with missed our turn and had to backtrack to the magic purple line guiding us through our day. We found the small single lane road hidden behind rows of palms, no wonder we blew right by. It seemed like a great time for water and look at the map. It didn’t take long to realize we now weren’t on the planned route for Day 3. The provided itinerary for the day showed us way off our intended route, the easy laid back day. The decision was made to just keep pressing forward since we had the purple line on the GPS. We weren’t sure what to expect, but what the heck, it’s supposed to be an adventure. We noticed lots of little bikes on street tires and full of mud making their way out of the hills.
    20A69A4C-E45F-4F7C-823C-2B188534D3A2.jpeg
    40C60D53-3304-4A8D-9BF7-29AB724B9805.jpeg
    BB341C33-F0ED-4970-994F-4D4C563E02E7.png

As we road further into the hills, it became pretty apparent we had just missed a good amount of rain. The roads were filled with puddles and lots of mud, but the GS with good tires didn’t miss a beat. Despite the mud, the traction was really good in most spots. We settled into a good pace as we made our way through villages and farms. The riding, the weather, the scenery, the people, it was all perfect. The only bit of concern after two hours of pure bliss, was the fact we seemed to be making SLOW progress on that magic purple line. Early afternoon was upon us, and it seemed the perfect opportunity for a break, and a chance to break out the drone. It didn’t take long to scare myself with a power line, they are well hidden down here.
    810458A6-918F-4D7A-A361-C668AA68D463.jpeg
    2CB85A1B-B79F-498B-B4F5-36DCFA0419E7.jpeg

It was 2pm now, time to get moving since breakfast was our last meal. Normally I have power bars, nuts, or jerky with me. This trip, I had overlooked that with all the excitement. Unfortunately I didn’t take many pictures from this point on since we were trying to make good time. The roads continued to become more muddy, it seemed as though we were a couple hours behind the rain, which is a great place to be.

The Motoz Adventure tires were doing great.
    EE14A054-BFF6-4FEE-83AD-948FB6CC679D.jpeg

We aren’t good with Spanish, but this sign looked good to us!
    10D29E32-245E-44C3-A357-10F77F36C567.jpeg

Attached Files: