Two ktm 500's on the TAT

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Katoom5Hundy, Jul 13, 2016.

1. Katoom5Hundy

Katoom5Hundy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Last year my buddy suggested to me that we ride the TAT before we die. Being that he is in his 40's and I am still in my 20's I figured next year was right. I remember convincing my wife about this trip. I heard allot of uh hu, yup, ok, ect. I caught her at the perfect time. She wasn't listening at all. Anyways... our trip starts August 20th and runs from Pelham Virginia to Moab Utah. We are going to try to run approx 300 miles a day. Our only planned stop is sequatchie Tennessee for the Tennesee knock out extreme enduro. Some quick bike and gear specs...
    Acerbis 5 gallon tanks
    Pirelli mt 21 front tire
    Tractionator Desert HT rear tire
    Giant loop Coyote
    Giant loop Rogue dry bag
    Giant loop Possibles pouch
    Giant loop Fandango tank bag
    Wolf man front fender bag
    Garmin GPS map 78
    typical ktm stuff bark busters skid plate ect...

A few pics, Allot of work still needed..... 500.jpg wolfman.jpg
  2. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer:
    This looks interesting, well except 300 miles a day :D
    i4bikes likes this.
  3. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    Figure out a way to secure the Wolfman to the fender better. Drill small holes through brackets and fender then safety wire or pop rivet or a tether, something so you don't lose it.

I've managed 290 miles per day for 23 days on a 610, solo. More difficult than it sounds, my goal was 330 miles per day...lost a day due to a GPS losing it's maps and another day due to trashed wheel bearings.

I'm excited to follow this one!!

:lurk
  4. Mugwest

Mugwest .

Oddometer:
    One of our old Enduro gurus taught us to take a sharpie and sketch out small cutouts the width of the strap hooks on the fender sides. Then take a Dremel and cut out the notches from the fender. They only have to be 1/4" or so deep to work well. With the Wolfman straps cinched down snugly the bag isn't going anywhere

Buddy of mine has the 300 miles/day thing in mind too. I have my doubts.
  5. Marc LaDue

Marc LaDue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another option for securing the front fender bags would be to dremel four slits (two per side) for the pouch hooks.
    Good luck with your execution. With such capable bikes you might just consider researching the old route through Colorado including Hancock & Tomichi Passes.

LaDue
  6. juno

juno Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks good! 300 miles a day is pretty aggressive! I averaged 250 on the eastern TAT/TETS from FL to AR.
    I rode after dark on too many nights!
    Fortunately you guys will have longer hours of daylight in your favor as I did mine in late October.
  7. TwilightZone

TwilightZone Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    IMHO: Front fender bags. Daytime = OK. At night = a problem.

I ran with one for years.

Until I found myself out at night... running 40 miles on a back road... with lotsa deer.
    The fender bag cut off the bottom of the headlight... (which was a bit nasty)
    and threw light back in my eyes from the brand name 'reflector'. (that was way nasty)

I'd either add more lights to the bike... (the 500 doesn't have a lot of electrical power)
    or not ride at night with the bag up there.

I took it the fender bag off and ended up putting the tools/tubes/whatever in a day tripper.

[​IMG]
  8. trikepilot

trikepilot Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    CodyY likes this.
  9. Katoom5Hundy

Katoom5Hundy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    CAM00476.jpg Got allot done today. Oil change, two new tires, tubliss system. Giant loop bags packed. I notched the front fender for the wolfman. It was very secure before, but ill take the advice. I found a second spot to tie the fender bag to, incase i need more headlight.
    KLRalph, larryboy and i4bikes like this.
  10. Katoom5Hundy

Katoom5Hundy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    TAT SCHEDULE

Thu 8/18 Big Walker Motel Bland, VA reserved 276-688-3331 PAID

Fri 8/19 Wheels Through Time Museum or Balsam Mtn FCFS ($14) no reservations (296 Miles)

Sat 8/20 TKO RACE no res Trials Training Center Valley View Hwy N 35.08.357 W085.36.564 (250 Miles)

Sun 8/21 Tims Ford Reserved #37 (90 miles from TKO)

Mon 8/22 Best Western Ripley, KS ph 662-837-0002 (300 miles) Oil

Tue 8/23 Maddox Bay Landing Holly Grove, AR 870-462-8317 Call first per Janice $10 (283 miles)

Wed 8/24 White Rock Campground FCFS $10 pay at house south of campground (320 Miles)

Thu 8/25 Bear Creek Cove Campground (321 Miles)

Fri 8/26 Buffalo, OK PO *Oil Change* (196 Miles) Liberal Ks Holiday Inn (300 Miles total)

Sat 8/27 Trinidad, CO Holiday Inn (270 Miles)

Sun 8/28 Sargents, CO Tomichi Creek Cabin ph 970-641-0674 (292 Miles)

Mon 8/29 Rico, CO Mine Shaft Inn Rooms 7&8 (200 Miles?)

Tue 8/30 Dove Creek to Moab (200 Miles?)

So far this is my schedule, If you guys have any suggestions let me know!
  11. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    Good job. I lost mine out in Nevada, but I had just talked to some guys on the trail so I waited in the next town to see if they found it, got lucky and they had it!! Fouled up my day as I was planning on going much further and I was about two hours ahead of them by then, drank beer in the shade until they came through, but I was soooo happy to have it back as I was cutting off the TAT for some super remote stuff.
  12. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    You're gonna need some 450 mile days to bump that average up. :deal

Totally jealous, have fun!!
  13. i4bikes

i4bikes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not going to say you can't do it but that is a aggressive running of the TAT. Hope for dry weather .
    WRW9751 likes this.
  14. TeamJunk

TeamJunk Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
  15. trikepilot

trikepilot Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

Slow down... deep breath. Understand that the TAT should be about the experiences that you have along the way. Trust me... the totally banging trophy you get at the end of the ride will not list your daily average mileage!

Having just completed the TAT two weeks ago, I think you are getting way ahead of yourself. Booking camping and hotels that far out is, quite frankly, ridiculous. Something - weather, mechanical, reroute, fatigue, curiosity, etc... - will invariably pop up and alter this precision schedule. Be flexible!

Bookmark these sites on your phone - http://www.allstays.com/Campgrounds/ and http://www.uscampgrounds.info/ (this site has waypoint file you can load onto GPS)

They are a huge help in finding a place for the night. Hell, even google works great too. I would stop around 2pm for a water and rest break, assess how I am moving and figure out a logical stopping point. I would then use the sites above to find a campsite. NOTE: you really only need these resources thru OK. After that there is almost always some USFS, BLM, or other federal land where you can camp. Back east, it is a good bit harder. RV parks are a great option too. Call them at like 5pm and they will usually want to fill an empty slot and gave me killer deals since I was tent camping. But they all have power outlets to charge all our widgets (GPS, phone, laptop, Scala, InReach, etc...) and usually good showers and sometimes laundry facilities.

Also download the Priceline app to your phone. This was a great tool to get last minute rooms for cheap.
    zonth, tonyjuliano, goodcat and 2 others like this.
  16. Katoom5Hundy

Katoom5Hundy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I appreciate the concerns. That is the tentative schedule. Im sure things will change. I will check out those sites when i get a chance
  17. steved57

steved57 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would surely back off the 300 mile/day, slow down and enjoy the ride/see the sights and plan some non riding days to chill out in more interesting/scenic areas instead of hammering all day every day and being stressed to try and make the mileage even if it means not doing the entire route

Nice bikes and set up, just have fun and enjoy - I'll be following along
    WRW9751 likes this.
  18. camperdad

camperdad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't make reservations. It spoils the trip. You don't want to be a slave to a schedule you made sitting in your living room. Just go with the flow.
    We only made one reservation the entire trip and we cancelled it because we arrived too early. We never lacked for a place to stay.
    Tallbastid and Rutsref like this.
  19. rufus

rufus We're burning daylight...

Oddometer:
    We didn't reserve anything, we didn't plan anything. We had a chase driver. In the mornings we would decide how far we felt like going and send the driver ahead. We had a couple of 300 mile days, most were 200 or so and a couple of short days to rest and do maintenance. We took a day off in Moab to sightsee.

Having a chase truck is nice, it gets the load off your bike and makes the riding more fun. The only downside I could see was having to plan a stop for the day. There were times I would have like to went further and a few times I would have stopped sooner if I/we were camping. However you do it, it will still be fun.
  20. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It was nice meeting you and your dad over the weekend. The two of you deserve an award for the help.

I am also not a fan of having an exact schedule but if you must have one, just be flexible, things will happen and that is part of the fun.

When we did the trip, we didn't have a schedule and would just find a place to setup camp at night. It can be a little stressful as the day comes to a close and you are looking for an ok place. We camped in some really unique place. One was in a town park picnic pavilion in the middle of town. It was nice because it had electricity to charge devices, a bar and grocery store across the street. The front yard of an empty house that someone offered when we asked for camping suggestions. The best place was when we ran into someone and they knew of a small grass strip airport. He is a member there and gave us the access code to the bathrooms (with showers!). We had electricity and wifi! It was pretty cool, we arrived early evening. As the evening went on, planes arrived and people pitched tents next to them. Even a helicopter arrived and pitched a tent. All of these people were also traveling. I have been meaning to look into buying a membership, there are small air ports everywhere and they all allow camping. I am a few miles from downtown Pittsburgh and there are two within a mile of me. We also found some really nice camping areas that we would have passed up if we had plans. One I remember was in Colorado between Salida and Telluride (sorry, that is about the most accurate I can remember without pulling out my trip notebook).

On other trips I have found camping in the back of cemeteries (kind of creepy but very quiet), behind old barns, etc. Arrive in the evening and leave early.

I talked to your dad about the tubliss. I have been running it for about 4 years with great success. A couple tips: buy some of these valve caps in 100psi: http://accu-pressure.com/eShop/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=31
    That way you don't need to check the bladder pressure, just look at the cap.
    Run 4-6oz of Stans sealant in each tire: http://www.notubes.com/Stans-Tire-Sealant-Quart-P51.aspx
    Buy the 2oz bottle and refill it from the large bottle, the small bottle can inject the sealant through the valve stem when the core is removed. http://www.notubes.com/2-ounce-Tire-Sealant-P154.aspx
    Balance the wheels, it makes a huge difference in the ride. It takes a lot of weight. The small vibration will take its toll over the course of a day.

Your oil change schedule is a little aggressive but will not hurt anything. Dual sport riding tends to be easier on oil than dirt biking. I generally go 2-3000 miles.

Run filter skins. Just soak them in your regular filter oil. Keep a spare in a ziplock bag. When one gets dirty, take it off, throw it away and replace with your spare. When you run out of spares, you still have a clean air filter to run.

There is a forest fire in the Salida area that may interfere with your route. Just after Salida, the route goes up Green Creek, it is a couple miles of tough single track, budget some time to get through there because the elevation gets high and you will be breathing hard. Be aware of weather there. We were there a couple years ago around the same time and a storm dumped 2' of snow up there in 30 minutes. It just rained at lower elevations.

Here is the parking area for the waterfall/swimming hole in Moab I told your dad about. It is a nice place to go when the afternoons get hot. Dropped Pin near Mill Creek Waterfall Trail, Moab, UT 84532 https://goo.gl/maps/GW2HT4qj7nu

I made a mistake of bringing too many freeze dried meals with me on our trip. You will only need 1-2. Ramen noodles and tuna make a great gas station meal if you can't find a better dinner.

Don't take too much stuff. Carefully scrutinize each item in your bags.

Lastly, have fun, don't let any mechanical failure or delay get you down. It is all part of the fun.
    Wierdrider and jnowako like this.