Two Moto Kiwis Arctic To Antarctic May 2012...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Two Moto Kiwis, May 8, 2012.

1. Two Moto Kiwis

Two Moto Kiwis Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer:
    Heya Julio

Thanks man, big words from a fello and respected traveller, awesome :clap

You were quite a good part of our trip make no mistake, good times, hope to reciprocate in New Zealand if it is ever in your plans.

Cheers A
  2. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Heya Donnie

Thanks mate

Glad to have had you along and yes next one in the pipeline.

Maya is coming home, currently floating somewhere.

New Africa twin .....hmmmm:evil

Cheers A
  3. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Heya sgio

Thanks dude, been great for us to share our stories and pics.

More to come now on the home scene stuff.

Cheers A
  4. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Having got Maya sorted, done and knowing she was loaded was a huge thing off my mind.:clap

We had a lot of help from locals and all of these dudes are worth a great mention as is their shop as they made life for us a lot easier.

The guys involved in our last days of the trip were:

Piero, Mercedes driver, BMW crasher and great riding buddy of Jaime, unfortunately Piero was hit head on by a taxi which crossed the centerline and he was very badly broken up, fortunately he is on the road to recovery although very slow, best for getting sorted mate, we wish you well and thank you for your help. Pallet deliverer supreme!!

- Vicente, BMW shop manager of BMW in Viña del Mar
    Williamson Balfour Motors S.A.
    Avda. Libertad 841, 2520072 Viña del Mar, Valparaíso, Chile

Now Vicente allowed us to use their shop as a communication base (via Jaime) which was bloody cool ….and we had a coffee(s) :evil, a huge thanks for letting us borrow Jaime to assist with not so nice customs people….you know the sort and thank you for the lunch, remember if you need any help or advice that we can you with let us know.

The lads lunch

[​IMG]P1240944 by Ellen Delis, on Flickr

The FINAL adv salute from South America .....just for you guys

[​IMG]P1240946 by Ellen Delis, on Flickr

-Alexis Vega. He's at BMW Logistics and kindly sent the pallets, he gave us more than enough to get us sorted and more to the point and extremely important it has the safe timber markings acceptable to New Zealand Customs which should stop any grief on the timber.

And finally - Domingo, he is one of their car salesman and was heading back to Santiago the day we were needing to go back, it was organised for us to get a ride so we took in Viña del Mar for the day and waited till he finished work early in the evening and he drove us from Viña del Mar to Santiago in a the nice BMW 420 with all our shit door to door.:freaky:freaky

Thank you team, any and all of you are welcome in New Zealand … only 13 hours away on a tin bird.

Our last night in South America, kinda weird, kinda cool, kinda sad, mixed emotions and Ellen has butterflies in her tummy.

The following morning was clean up, pack down and box it all in, Jaimes apartment looking like a motorcyclist had exploded.

With a tonne of time to spare we cruzed to the finish line and and got a taxi to the airport.

Our last moments in Chile extended by LAN airlines with our plane taking another hour and ten minutes to show up, for us it shortened our waiting time back in New Zealand by an hour so no issue for us at all. :clap

Our flight was ok but it was a “bring your screaming baby” flight so not much sleep was had….I did have a bloody good catch upon movies though.:lol3

Into New Zealand was painless, easy and welcoming, an hour and a half wait and were got our final flight to Queenstown.

Gorking out the window we were looking down on our country that we had not seen for 3 years and 2 weeks, the snow increasing as we got further south.

Arriving at Queenstown Airport we were welcomed home by Wanaka Motorcycle Club members Peter and Richard, Richard and Margaret as well as Dick and Diana Hubbard who did Alaska to Ushuaia on a 1200 GSA, thank you guys for the red carpet welcome home.

Photos by Diana Hubbard, Dicks better half!!

[​IMG]IMG_0892 by Ellen Delis, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0905 by Ellen Delis, on Flickr

More to come of back in New Zealand

Massive thanks to everyone on our trip, love to all.

Andi & Ellen
  5. ztaj

ztaj Inmate 526

Oddometer:
    So that's where Dick Hubbard ended up... I still haven't forgiven him for saying no to V8 street races back when he was mayor :evil
  6. johnnybgood8

johnnybgood8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome guys!!!!!! :clap
  7. RHC66

RHC66 R1200GS

Oddometer:
    Hey Andi & Ellen
    Firstly, thank you both so much for sharing your amazing journey! :clap
    I have followed you guys right from when you started and have to say your journey has been nothing short of epic. So many experiences, good and bad, but for the most fantastic.
    Also, you kept us all up to date with your regular posts and amazing photos, well done, thats a huge effort.
    You two should be very proud of yourselves for achieving what you have done.
    Enjoy time back with family and friends :freaky and I look forward to your next adventure.
    I am now living up in Darwin, Australia and if you ever find yourselves up here you always have a place to stay.
    All the best
    Keith
  8. T.O. Eagle

T.O. Eagle n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey Andi and Ellen,

been following your journey since day 1, thanks for the fantastic ride report and allowing us to share a true adventure!
    How tough is it to return to one of the most beautiful places on the planet?....lucky 'bastids' :rofl
    Love that you're hanging on tightly to two bags of DF...cheers mate!

All the best, Chris
  9. Blue Icebreaker

Blue Icebreaker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's unbelievable that time passed so quickly... I followed you for more than a year I reckon... and that's it, you're back home. Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful adventure, you're an inspiration! I'll make sure to notify you once I start my dream journey, whenever that will be. Thanks again.
  10. ScottA

ScottA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Long time lurker. Just wanted to say thanks for a great ride report!!!! Since it doesn't seem to be covered much in others ride reports, I am very interested in your "assimilation" (if that's the right word?) back into your pre trip lives. Once again thanks for sharing this with us.
  11. Saralou

Saralou Worldwide Rider

Oddometer:
    July 22, 2012 start RTW from Vancouver, B.C.
    Congratulations! What a ride!!

Sara
  12. SmilinJoe

SmilinJoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad to see you two made it home safely. I sure you guys are excited to see home again, but I am sure your hearts will soon miss the road, the freedom and the anticipation of what is around the next corner. I hope readjustment to everyday life is uneventful or at least bearable. You will for sure have bouts of travelers depression. It sucks.

Thanks for sharing your journey with those of us who followed along from the beginning. It was great to enjoy the journey with you my friends. What an amazing one you had!
  13. docwyte

docwyte Long timer

Oddometer:
    So what's it like to be back home?
  14. ztaj

ztaj Inmate 526

Oddometer:
    They seem to have adjusted well :D baby steps though... they're still waiting to get the phone/internets hooked up properly. I spent last night at at casa Del two Moto kiwis and it was good to catch up with them. :freaky
  15. Frodo

Frodo On the way to Mordor

Oddometer:
    Wow, what a journey and what a finale!
    Coincidentally, I had a meeting in Puerto Varas about 20km from Calbuco shifted to Santiago because of the eruption. Amazing to think that you were downwind receiving all the ash and sand.
    Thanks for taking us with you over the years! Has it been that long?
    I've appreciated your good humour in the face of adversity, the frankness and eloquence with which you have described your experiences and feelings, and your photography. And I'm glad you made it home safely.
    Just as well memories don't weigh much, because you would have exceeded your 23kg limit coming home!
    Thanks again!
  16. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Heya James

Yes this is where he lives now .... no one is perfect .... at least he didn't say no to SBK or GP :rofl

Cheers Andi
  17. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Heya johnnybgood8, thanks man appreciate the words

Cheers Andi
  18. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Heya Keith , thanks mans, really appreciate the comments, yes there is a bit of effort in writing but I also enjoyed it too so all good.

Back home now reconnecting everything we didn't need :rofl ... interesting going from 140 liters of luggage to a house :evil

Darwin ..... hmmmm, Oz is on the game plan for some stage ... likewise our doors in Wanaka are open.

Cheers Andi
  19. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Heya Chris

Thank you sir, we have really enjoyed reporting our shenanigans along the way.

Not hard to return here mate ... this place still rocks!!! :clap:clap

My DF :D..... yes there woudla been a fight if someone tried to wrestle my 4 bottles of Flor de Cana off me:rofl

Cheers Andi
  20. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Heya Blue Icebreaker

Yes it has gone bloody fast ... seems like yesterday we left.

Definitely let me know when your adventure begins ... that is now my daily lifeblood :clap

Cheers Andi