Two Moto Kiwis Arctic To Antarctic May 2012...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Two Moto Kiwis, May 8, 2012.

1. Two Moto Kiwis

Two Moto Kiwis Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer:
    Heya johnnybgood8, thanks man appreciate the words

Cheers Andi
  2. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Heya Keith , thanks mans, really appreciate the comments, yes there is a bit of effort in writing but I also enjoyed it too so all good.

Back home now reconnecting everything we didn't need :rofl ... interesting going from 140 liters of luggage to a house :evil

Darwin ..... hmmmm, Oz is on the game plan for some stage ... likewise our doors in Wanaka are open.

Cheers Andi
  3. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Heya Chris

Thank you sir, we have really enjoyed reporting our shenanigans along the way.

Not hard to return here mate ... this place still rocks!!! :clap:clap

My DF :D..... yes there woudla been a fight if someone tried to wrestle my 4 bottles of Flor de Cana off me:rofl

Cheers Andi
  4. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Heya Blue Icebreaker

Yes it has gone bloody fast ... seems like yesterday we left.

Definitely let me know when your adventure begins ... that is now my daily lifeblood :clap

Cheers Andi
  5. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Heya ScottA

You are welcome my friend, will carry on writing a bit now we are reconnected and let ya know what happens.

Cheers Andi
  6. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Heya Sara

Thanks, you guys know full well all about it, keep it going out there ... we look on in envy .... 3 more years then that is it we are off again!!:clap

Cheers

A
  7. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Heya SmilinJoe

Yeap back in mostly one bit, Maya still floating somewhere.

While we miss travelling it is cool to home and adjustment is coming on well :clap

I hope to stay away from travellers depression ....someone else can have that :rofl

Cheers A
  8. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Heya docwyte

Actually it is cool, motos and travel are my number 1 passion but we live in a beautiful part of the world and for the most everything just works.

Cool bein back with our old buddies etc again so that is cool.

Have to say our transition is smooth so far.

Cheers A
  9. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    ...Argh our first official adv imposter (he rides a beema :D) that stayed ... great catching up James.:clap

All hooked up again now so Casa Del TMK is up and running.

Cheers A
  10. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Heya Frodo

Thanks mate, been epic for us, Calbuco certainly turned it on for us (and you) and ticked an unexpected box ...well cool indeed.

Yes 3 years and 2 weeks or 1109 days of epic for us goods, bads and fucking awesomes :clap

Yeah if memories weighed their worth we would need our on supertanker ship to bring em home :rofl

Cheers A
  11. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Back home in Wanaka now after 3 years and 2 weeks or 1109 days away, been unpacking crazy time.:eek1

Our house looked like some cardboard boxes had exploded ....which they had.

[​IMG]IMG_8616 by Ellen Delis, on Flickr

We were suprised how much stuff we had and how many clothes we have, Ellen went mountain biking and it took her ten minutes just to decide which gear to use.:rofl:rofl

May the 20th came around, our 9th wedding anniversary, Ellen got a nespresso coffee machine

[​IMG]IMG_8805 by Ellen Delis, on Flickr

....and I got a Sherco 4.5i, seemed fair.:rofl

Her name is Novia (Girlfriend in Spanish) FFS DON'T tell Maya :eek1

[​IMG]356909783 by Ellen Delis, on Flickr

[​IMG]356909196 by Ellen Delis, on Flickr

Bro was coming down from Christchurch so he brought it with him …well done that man, when he arrived it was like Christmas, his Beta 498 and my Sherco 450 on the trailer looking ready for action and the fact of seeing Paul and Debbie again was wicked cool being he is my identical twin bro.:clap

I have work coming in but not for a another week or so, Ellen started on the Monday after we got back (full time if she wants it) so small adjustments to be made.

All in all Wanaka is beautiful, not perfect but pretty fuckin good and compared to anywhere we have been in the last three years it still rate No 1.

So we have been busy as doing domestic stuff, a nice change from travelling …but not as cool.

Our base of friends here in Wanaka are still an awesome bunch of OAH’s (Old Age Hooligans) and still in fine form, the Wanaka Motorcycle Club going well.

Interesting the changes that have gone on since we have been away, way more houses and the place has grown big time, luckily still no Mc Dees, KFC or traffic lights WOH HOH.:clap

My groan at cellphones is still rife but it would seem that smarts phones have invaded and imbedded themselves.

I have a great Sonim waterproof phone with a 3 month standby time battery but the numbers and letters are small and although I can see through a bra at 200 meters the shit right in front of me is fury … or my arms have gotten shorter so the big old folk numbers on an iphone etc are welcomed and beat bifocool :huh glasses …. thus I might have to eat some of my own words however I still refuse to have an answerphonesecretarykinda thingy.

Yeah that’s right if you ring and I don’t answer I am not there ….and my smart phone will tell me I missed a call from you so I am not sure why I need a message as well, starting to sound old now but some things are still worth more than gold and that is your own time and space...make the most of it:clap

Now, back to moto stuff (sorry Graham and Andi) ((our cool neighbours in front of us who stalked us all the way)), the new (ish) Sherco is a 2008, only has 65 hours and is quite simply a weapon, I will keep her under the covers so the Russians don't see her :wink:, her name is Novia which means girlfriend in Spanish, she is a feisty young thing.:evil

Novia has more grunt than a paddock full of pigs and only weighing in at 109 kg (some 90 kg lighter than Maya before adding house and contents) when you crack it open you have to be seriously pointed in the right direction cos you ARE going there and at pace, while she can get off her arse in style she is not as angry as a KTM 450 etc so kinda nice, she is fuel injected too and the mapping is surprisingly good.

In my quest to go lighter I have found my direction, so Novia will be kitted out with more gas capacity etc, being as light as she is will make her a dream to take a good look around the next corner which in New Zealand we have a lot of.

Like I always say you have to love what you ride and when I push the start button on Novia that little hooligan kid feeling comes over me and the devil shoots the angel clean off my shoulders and the all important part is she turns man parts from kindling to wood.

Life wise, having read a lot about post trip depression etc I am very aware of what can go wrong after the big one.

A pattern that seems to follow through is returning to no home or a small flat, no work etc so we have been keeping busy enough, we both still are alive with travel fever and know this is the interim to the future, why could you not be positive about this.

I guess we are very lucky to live where we do too, this is our view normally

[​IMG]IMG_8622 by Ellen Delis, on Flickr

This was our view after mum nature bought us a polar blast off the Antarctic, beautiful.

[​IMG]IMG_8641 by Ellen Delis, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_8640 by Ellen Delis, on Flickr

I have to say both of us are in great spirits and now we are back into mountain biking etc which is well cool.

I think the key is to keep busy and yes get to work (sorry for swearing) if you need money and get back into life, it may not be as free and easy as travelling but when you are standing, alive and well and dreaming of you next big adventure …well shit what more can I say.

A Special Part To Think Positively About Life - For Big Kev a WMC member.

It would be about 12 years ago I started what we call the WMC, The Wanaka Motorcycle Club.

It has bought about 50 - 60 riders in a town of 6000 together and formed a great based of moto head friends and off moto friendships.

I want to write a small blurb for a great member of ours Big Kev.

While it is easy to get consumed with a great trip away time has to be taken to stop, take a look around and appreciate your family and friends.

Big Kev has always been an active member in our club, on our "Round The Blockers" weekend ride he was always there, track days for a blast on his 2.3 liter supercharged Triumph, general rides and social gatherings.

Big Kev is fighting relentless cancer which has seen him sidelined recently, I want to wish Big Kev all the strength to fight and I know I say this from me, the WMC and every moto head I know as well as family and friends that feel the same.

Stand tall my friend.

Thanks for reading and take the time to consider your time.

Cheers Andi
  12. goroka

goroka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A great adventure - have been following since the start. Doing the adventure bit is hard enough but to run such a comprehensive report for the entire trip shows real commitment. So often I see reports start with a flourish and then quietly fade or die altogether.

Glad you are settling in at home. Now I see why Air New Zealand runs direct flight to the Sunshine Coast in winter:D

Thankyou.

Cheers.
  13. LandsVW

LandsVW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the honest and excellent write up, the great pictures and the great adventure. If you're ever in Oregon US and need a place to stay, a ride from or to an airport or anything else, don't hesitate to contact me. It's kinda like meeting extended family through these dual sport bike adventures.

Peace and Blessings!

Lance
  14. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Broke Engine Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Andi, the Sherco looks cool and should make an excellent adv bike. Love my 530 and even adventurised it still feels light and nimble compared to the 690. Haven't been able to ride it yet but hope to start some short rides at my mates farm this month as a prelude to getting back on the road. We will have to catch up one day for a ride and share some QS stories. :D
  15. Te Hopo

Te Hopo Nomad

Oddometer:
    The bike looks like an absolute blast Andi, you guys certainly picked an interesting time of year to return home :lol3
    I'm glad to hear the return home has been pretty straight forward for you guys.

I was only gone for 6 weeks and while I missed the day to day riding afterwards, it still felt nice to return home
  16. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Heya goroka

Thanks for your props man, we wanted to record our trip ups and downs so it was in our interests to make it as complete as we could too....now we can relive it on a crappy day!! :clap

Yeah settling down well, winter pouring it on for Ellen as she is going skiing.

Gold coast ... yeah a little warmer eh :rofl

Cheers Andi
  17. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Heya Lance

Thank your for following, it is an intermission more than a stop, another 3 years and we will be at it again from Africa up and for me in Between Iceland, Scandy, Europe, Russia, Stans and across.

Likewise in NZ ,if this wee island is on your list you have a bed here :clap

Cheers Andi
  18. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Heya Night Falcon

The Sherco is neat, 109 kg is easier to manage for sure (well I hope so).

I love the 690 (still might get one for road/gravel) but the 4.5 should fill in the important whole of offroad and gravel road made a lot easier thus more fun, just gotta see if I can lay my hands on a bigger tank.

Definitely catch up for a ride cos I am gonna invade the norf Sherco style and poke my nose around a bit ...and yeap QS stories ...action man at work :evil.

Cheers Andi
  19. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Heya Te Hopo

Yeap should be good, gettig the last bits sorted now for road rego and into it :clap

Yeah interesting time is right, a hard winter but a neat welcome too, we have a great country despite one or two sillies.

Lodging back into NZ has been ok, we are both happy to be back cos everything was starting to get pretty shagged by way of zipped stuff and our waterproof bag decayed from UV (wolfmans still rock solid tho) and Maya took a beating in the Volcanic dust ...that stuff is very bad but having no option but to ride out of it has certainly taken its toll on bearings, chain, sprockets etc.

Good to be home for a while, catch up with mates and do the homely thing....just an intermission to our unnormal lives till the next trip.

So in the promise of more to come I have mostly written the Argentina and Chile sum up as well as our last "heart speaks" for this trip.

Once a month I will chime in and update stuff mainly Sherco wise and gonna geta roady of some sorts so quietly picking my way through a possibles list for when we have the gold in hand....so much to choose from, if only the KTM 1290 Super Duke R was $30000 cheaper :rofl:rofl

Cheers Andi
  20. guns&coffee

guns&coffee Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great to see you folks made it home OK and with a sweet 9fiddy in tow. Can't wait for the movie :rofl (would make a great book)