Two Moto Kiwis Arctic To Antarctic May 2012...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Two Moto Kiwis, May 8, 2012.

1. Two Moto Kiwis

Two Moto Kiwis Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer:
    Heya guns&coffee, yeah all back home now, Maya back as well. ......Movie :jack ... sure, I think one of our cameramen in our three backup vehicles was gonna do that for us. We will print a table book for home with some of our nicer photos...that will all about be about our fame will ever be I think.

Cheers Andi
  2. Dotbond

Dotbond Africa, Africa

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the awesome ride report over the past few years. I even bought a calendar which has a couple of your photos in it. Helps keep the dream alive seeing your photos and writing. Hopefully hear you and Ellen give a talk one day somewhere...
  3. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Big Kev 1956 - 2015

As life progresses the bad things come with the good things.

I wish just to write about Big Kev, a great member of our Wanaka Motorcycle Club, good bastid through and through.

Big Kev rode a Triumph Rocket 3 which he supercharged as well, the man could ride it like a small trail bike keeping pace on the race track and road with no problem whatsoever.

A dedicated dude, warm and passionate moto head Big Kev finally gave in to the relentless cancer he had been fighting.

His funeral was for me was the most heartfelt funeral I have ever been to, not afraid to say I cried a lot struggling to even mutter the words to the songs we were trying to sing.

Not to dwell on the sadness of a great man taken early we wish to remember him for the total dude, beer drinking moto loving petrolhead that Kev was that always bought a big smile to everyones face.

I know I say this for me and from the WMC members, Gayle your loss is hard and is felt by fello members and riders, Ride in Peace brother you will be missed.

[​IMG]95 by Ellen Delis, on Flickr

Cheers Andi

A video made by Doon, a well respected member and riding buddy, onya Doon, great job for the vid.

<iframe width="960" height="720" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Scott_PDX likes this.
  4. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Heya Dotband

You are welcome my friend and thankyou so much for coming along, we too have a calendar with us in it, that is our 5 minute claim to fame :rofl, for us it is an honour to get two pics out of 13, well cool indeed, we even managed to blackmail/bribe/con/talk/threaten/buy our way into the 2016 calendar too. :rofl:rofl

Cheers Andi
  5. just jeff

just jeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Andi,
    Very sorry for the loss of your friend. The video showed he lived as large as he was. So sad to lose friends and family this way.
    Best Regards....just jeff
    Scott_PDX likes this.
  6. Mike Ryder

Mike Ryder Kriegerkuh Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi Andy and Ellen very sorry to hear that your community has lost such a great man.
  7. Full Power

Full Power Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry for your loss.
    Rest in peace, Big Kev.
  8. pdxmotorhead

pdxmotorhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    My daughter was just sorting out going to high school when you started and I'm delivering her to college this week.. Been a bit of sanity to read your RR these many months and hope you have an excuse to do another some day!

Thanks!
  9. TwoUpTourer

TwoUpTourer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Andi
    Just catching up after having to endure a near 3 month round-the-world trip :lol3 , and see you listed Iceland as being on the horizon. We spent a week there recently in a campervan, and I have to say it is insanely beautiful. It can be like driving through the Grand Canyon one minute, then through Lego-Land the next, with pretty little red roofed Lego houses dotted about the green countryside. Then its like the surface of Mars followed by farmland with steam rising out of the middle of their crops. And 24 hour daylight. Gotta pick your time of course - go in January and you probably wont see any of the above! And least expected, Icelanders are funny! Thought they would be quite teutonic, but not at all - a great sense of humour. And they all, ALL, speak perfect english.

Re the Sherco - dunno how it goes in NZ, but here in Oz a bike with no lights etc can't be registered and therefore can only be ridden on private land, and has to be trailered too and from. Rather shrinks the places you can ride to from home, so is trailering what you do?

Lastly, and feel free to decline, got a ball park on what 3 years continuous travel cost? I know what near 3 months cost, but then we never tented.
    cheers
    John
  10. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Heya Jeff

Thankyou for your kind words mate.

Sorry we have ben shy on words for a long time, resuming life and ramping everything back up takes time and does not give you great things to write about or picture.

Cheers Andi
    just jeff likes this.
  11. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Heya Mike, never easy losing a good guy and he was certainly one of them, we are doing a north island ride in the new year and spreading his ashes at the end of his favourite ride, one final ride for the big fella!!

Cheers Andi
    rgiroux likes this.
  12. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Heya Full Power, thanks man, appreciation taken from opposite end of the globe is well received.

Cheers Andi
  13. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Heya pdxmotorhead, well at least we helped someone along the way :rofl, we too and held alive reading others stuff now and this keeps us more than afloat and enthusiastic.

Good times, cheers Andi
  14. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Heya John .....3 months is cool mate, doesn't matter how long just getting out is it!!

We have already been to Iceland and want to go back to ride the interior, Iceland is still our most favourite place we have ever been.

The Sherco, it is full road reg, with lights, indicators etc so fully road legal, as it turns it is the ONLY registered Sherco in New Zealand , our LTSA had to actually make a listing for it as the brand did not exist, the only limit for this bike now is my arse LOL.

The costs, for 3 years and 2 weeks complete with everything was about $61500.00 so / 1106 days = about $55.61 total per day for two of us. This included all moto costs and the full 9 yards of everything so we are pretty happy at our level, we would love to know others are doing as well, would be a great database for future travellers to see what level of spending they want and the level of accom etc that you get for it.

Cheers Andi
    REALGRAVEROBBER likes this.
  15. docwyte

docwyte Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow, that's nowhere near as much as I would've thought. Especially with the purchase of Maya etc...
  16. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    So greetings all, today November 16th 2015 means we have been home 6 months today from some of the coolest and hardest times of our lives, introducing ourselves back to the human species has been interesting, rewarding, challenging, fun, sad and awesome.

The loss of big Kev while not unexpected knowing he was ill was a huge punch in the head and still remains hard to take.

We personally are great, Ellens work is coming together as is mine, one busy week, one not so busy so no stress and all good, our house took a beating from our tenants who thought rent meant wreck, fuckin oxygen thieves but in the big scheme of things it is nothing.

Maya is home and being the graceful old retired granny in the corner watching the young punk M go out and play, M is the new 690 M is short for Maya Mini Me, 138 kg of entertainment and neat to ride.

[​IMG]IMG_9218 by Ellen Delis, on Flickr

In progress of life we sold our house and plan to build another, will have our feet on the ground here for another 3 years with only shorter trips away then we will hit it again ... that my friends can't come quick enough...but I suspect it will.

I have been over the reigns for our Wanaka Motorcycle Club doing the club captain thing and helping with the lads running trips and monthly gatherings at pubs etc so back into life full on, anything less means wasting time and ending up watching bullshit on TV.

Other than that life is as normal as life is within in the TMK household and life is good, best to all you guys and your families, make the most of what you have available and most of all wear that fuckin moto grin wide with pride!!

To finish off, "You Can't 'Google' Experience" ... grab those bars and go offline!!

Cheers Andi
  17. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Heya docwyte, we were frugal for sure, remembering when we bought Maya we sold our DR's too so some in and some out, funny enough Brasil worked out very cheap and meeting the Brasil riders and staying with people chopped nearly 3 month of accom costs which is the main cost from day to day.

We now have mad Brasilians coming to stay with us ... maybe we need to add that cost back in!! LOL

Cheers Andi
    yokesman likes this.
  18. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    I'm really surprised. Just to clarify, is that Sth Pacific, NZ Peso style dollar. Or Nth Merican, I'm big an strong type dollar?
  19. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Apologies, yes that is USD not NZD, we worked our whole trip on USD being it was kinda everywhere. USD to Kiwis is .65 at the moment, we had exchange rate of .80 -.85 while we travelled but everything was converted to USD

We were lucky with the USD v Arg Peso too getting rates up to 14.8 rather than 8 at the ATM so our cost down south was optimized to nearly half.

All factors need to be taken into account and we had some lucky breaks as above.

Cheers Andi
    gperkins likes this.
  20. just jeff

just jeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    DSCF0442.JPG

It's all good Andi!

Here is a pic of the ScreensforBikes windscreen on my bike. I like it lots. Better wind protection than the RallyRaid version. It is about 6" taller but doesn't interfere with line of sight or get in the way offroad. Second pic is the RallyRaid version. I like the SFB version much better. Well worth the money.
    Regards....just jeff DSCF4104.JPG DSCF4108.JPG DSCF4110.JPG