Two Moto Kiwis Arctic To Antarctic May 2012...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Two Moto Kiwis, May 8, 2012.

1. AK Smitty

AK Smitty Self life coach

Oddometer:
    So glad to hear you are both doing well!! That is one sexy new gal in the house!!! I'd be more worried about Ellen getting jealous. haha

After muddling around Bahia Brazil for two months being a surf bum I am on the move again. Since you guys did Brazil proper I was looking for any suggestions on talking Rio. Some riders here have reached out so I will be in Cabo Frio for a few days planning my approach to the big city.

Thanks for input. Your real world talk made me sweat!! Someday for me again too, but not now damn it!

2. Two Moto Kiwis

Two Moto Kiwis Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer:
    Heya Smitty

Yeah all good here mate, lucky being in Bahia ....we loved it there, Rio, worth seeing but it is a BIG city, traffic is less than ideal.

Plenty of places to go and things to see, depends on what you want to do there, on the way down go via Buzios and the coastal way ... kinda cool there, also inland there are some extremely cool roads/back roads .... in little national park kinda areas.

Cheers Andi
  3. AK Smitty

Oddometer:

Thanks Andi. Ended up getting hosted by a local rider near Buzios so getting the inside scoop on it all. Off to Paraty soon.
  4. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Paraty is cool, we stayed at a place at Paraty Mirim which is a about 12 km south and out on the peninsula, wicked cool place it was, camped there 4 days.

A neat ride on a dirt road too.
  5. AK Smitty

Oddometer:

Copy that. looking forward to checking out the area tomorrow. Still before the tourist rush so should be nice and chill.
  6. TwoUpTourer

TwoUpTourer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just about fell off my chair! That is so so cheap, and way under what I expected. With the many times that you hotelled (I know, it wasn't always the Ritz!) and ate out in cafes etc, I mentally went ka-ching every time and expected over $200k.
  7. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    $200K ...that $180 per day!!! ...most single RTW travellers doing economical travel are around $20 - $30 and there are economies travelling as a couple or pair.

We meet some guys who were spending a lot more but not even close to $180 per day, lavish travellers were up to $100 per day, in Guatemala we averaged a spend of $41 per day for two of us, in Bolivia it was down to $36.00 per day (but that is Bolivia).

As a comparo, Alberto and Naomi on their F800 GS from Canada to Ushuaia did their trip on $60.25 for the two of them, we did Alaska, Canada and the lower 48 for $60.45 per day for the two of us so we did something lavish LOL.

The hotels are not like Oz or NZ for pricing, lots of places we were spending around $7 - $8 USD for two of us, this was one of our ensuites

[​IMG]

And this was the penthouse :jack ....note the window is a picture frame with glass and the picture taken out

[​IMG]

Funny thing is we actually ate out a lot less than most choosing to self cook, again to eat out in Nicaragua we had street food and it was equivalent to $1.75 for 2 of us for dinner, most nights would not cost more than $3 $- $4 for the 2 of us complete, in Colombia you can buy a complete roll roasted chicken for $3.5 - $4 and that would leave us enough for lunch etc the next day as well.

So on comparo with Alberto and Naomi and many others than were doing pretty much the same we have achieved nothing special, Grant from Horizons Unlimited gave a very very good speech at Cambria in the USA about budgeting and making your money go further, singe best piece of advice "Slow the whole thing down", as you know we managed to do that quite well extending our trip from 1-1.5 years to 3 years, this means you are not tanking up constantly every so stopping and staying somewhere cost WAY less than blasting down a road/track everyday.

Food for thought, when you want to push your dollar along there are many ways of doing it while still affording a bottle of rum here and there.
    cejnys, SmilinJoe, Te Hopo and 4 others like this.
  8. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    2 Years today (May 16 2015) we finished our 3 years and 2 weeks from top to bottom.

2 years on we have integrated back into society with some new views, both of us are working full time for the next round of travels, for me next year will be Iceland and east.

So here we are, building a house, living pretty normal (ish) enjoying the motos and mountain bikes etc, this year is a knuckle down and get things done year which will hopefully pave the way for our future as long as Trumpy and Kim don't have an epic scrap cos that will change things.

Anyway, just a brief clock in for anyone wanting to know where you are at 2 years down the line of a life changing event.

As you were gents, rubber side down.

Andi
  9. just jeff

just jeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Crap!!! We all thought you two would be famous movie stars by now!!!:rilla Thanks for the update Andi! All the best to you and Ellen.:D
    JJ
  10. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Only famous in our own lunch hour Jeff :lol3
    just jeff likes this.
  11. ztaj

ztaj jatz

Oddometer:
    Jeebus... I figured you'd been abducted by aliens or carried off by disgruntled rabbits..
    Good to hear everything's going well and I look forward to the next travel instalment.
    I won't be down your neck of the woods for the Brass this year, got other plans.
  12. TwoUpTourer

TwoUpTourer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update. I spent six years travelling in my twenties, changing me a lot of course, but was tired at the end of it and happy to settle down for a few years, consolidate money and thoughts, so I can well understand the desire to bed the roots(not meant in Oz/NZ parlance! :-)) for a while.

Iceland - now that's an idea! Went there 2 years ago, and as someone who had already seen much of the world, was blown away by the place. Something unreal about that landscape. One important caveat though - summer is short, spring and autumn even shorter. Midnight on the longest day of the year, June 22, was very cold, and that is mid-summer. But it is insanely beautiful.

I had a great last 3 years of work monitoring your epic journey, and haven't found another once since that I have enjoyed so much. I did have to read the last part in my own unpaid time after I retired, which did detract a little though:lol3

Such a major effort on your part to maintain the thread on multiple sites too. Thanks to you both!
    John

PS: The Mrs and I intended to ride all of last October in Japan, when 12 hours before leaving got an email from the hire company apologising they had lost our booking and no scooters were available. I had joined a rider group Facebook page based in Japan six months earlier, and one of the Japanese guys rescued us at the last minute with an offer of his GS Adventure or two scooters, or in the end, his shoebox sized van due to an impending typhoon, free for the month. We reciprocated, and two weeks ago he and a mate came here and did 3,800km in a week seeing central Oz and the south coast. Just goes to show that overland bike folks are frequently good folks!
    young1, just jeff and sinned like this.
  13. chussel

chussel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Andi and Ellen
    So good to hear what you are up to - been wondering.
    Charlie and I leave on Sunday for South Korea where we pick up our bikes, Yamaha XT250s this time, then ferry to Vladivostok, Mongolia, 'Stans, Turkey Europe, London. Should be fun, tho much more admin for visas etc than The Americas.
    Will be doing a blog if you want to follow along - still russelsenroute.com.
    Will give you a call when next in your neck of the woods.
    Charlie & Janet
  14. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    The Aliens threw us back ... apparently we don't comply :lol3
    just jeff likes this.
  15. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    We have been to Iceland before but need to go back, loved the place.

Thanks for your props, there are many great RR out there and ours was more to record our event and also to share it as well, worked ok!

Sorry for making you read our RR in your own time :rofl ... not sure what we can about that now ..cheque is in the mail :D

Isn't it interesting when the wheels fall off someting that something good always seems to come from it, well done and good on you guys, the correct atitude also goes a long way as you well know.
  16. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Heya you two, I caught a snipit of going on the two XTs, that IMO is a great move, next years ride is planned on an XTZ250 Tenere or the same as your, simple, light, japanese and eco to run.

Will defo follow you on the way, you are covering some ground I want to next year.

Cheers Andi
  17. Martynho

Martynho No more Chilegringo.

Oddometer:
    Heyup guys, nice to hear from you. Its been 2 and half years since we returned from Chile back to Yorkshire. Like you working hard both at work and on the house. Kids have both left home now and turned 55 so thinking of how I might retire or at least step it down significantly to give me more time to do those long rides.

Still getting out plenty on the yet another 990R and set to go down to Croatia in the summer :-)

http://advrider.com/index.php?threa...s-results-banter.1130763/page-2#post-29044505
    http://advrider.com/index.php?threa...s-results-banter.1130763/page-2#post-29044505
    http://advrider.com/index.php?threa...s-results-banter.1130763/page-4#post-29581439
    http://advrider.com/index.php?threa...s-results-banter.1130763/page-4#post-29712340
    http://advrider.com/index.php?threa...s-results-banter.1130763/page-4#post-29712340

http://advrider.com/index.php?threa...ghty-lets-see-it.703582/page-27#post-30999876

I'm in contact now and again with Jaime and Yasna. Jaimoto still selling Beemers in Vina del Mar and both of them doing well.
    Keep well and keep in touch!
    All the best - Martyn
  18. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Well done Martyn you have been a busy man and going to Erzberg and all you lucky fello.

Had a email chat with Jaime about 3 weeks ago and yep he is all good.

Our trip is a distant memory already so better get craching to the next one.

Cheers Andi
  19. Balanda

Balanda No, I don't believe I will

Oddometer:
    Hi Andi and Ellen, great to see that you've made such a successful return home, and giving it all the effort that you showed on the travels. Looking forward to your next adventure.
  20. REALGRAVEROBBER

REALGRAVEROBBER LEAVING GRAVES EMPTY

Oddometer:
    Andi I think your choice of a bike (or bikes?) is solid. NASA's motto is 'faster, lighter, cheaper' and I think we are wise to do the same.

XTZ250 is a good looker:
    [​IMG]
    Happy to read that Ellen and you are thriving. Your friend Lance the yank :rilla

Let me know if you want anything quoted from USA. Gear, tools, etc things can be cheap here.