Two new motorcyclists choosing their first ADV bikes

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Hakon92, Dec 30, 2019.

?

What bike should we choose?

Poll closed Jan 8, 2020.
  1. CRF 250l

9 vote(s)
    20.9%
  2. CB500x RR

9 vote(s)
    20.9%
  3. KTM 690

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  4. Tenere 700

16 vote(s)
    37.2%
  5. Other (add it as a comment)

7 vote(s)
    16.3%
  1. Hakon92

Hakon92 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I agree, it looks awesome. I have not tried it yet, but it seems to fill all the needs i have. The only downside is that the Tenere is about 6800 dollars more in Norway then the 380 adventure.
  2. Hakon92

Hakon92 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Doesn't these bikes need much more modification and maintenance?
  3. radmann10

radmann10 Derf Supporter

Oddometer:
  4. RowBust

RowBust Long timer

Oddometer:
    After having owned 4 650 V Stroms and over 500k km ,my next bike will be an Aprilia Shiver 900
    davyjones likes this.
  5. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    Close-ratio 5spd. Some people also don't like carbs, especially CV carbs.

Wide-ratio gearsets are available, and carbs work fine with proper care. Throw maybe a windscreen, bigger tank, and a comfy seat on one and ride anywhere. Some people don't even need that.
  6. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’d go with used 2019 CB500Xs. You get the 19" front wheel and a bit more suspension travel. Upgrade the springs and damping. Add some road-friendly knobbies and a skid. Ride anywhere.

If you want more power and dirt ability, I'd go T700, but it's more $$. Japanese reliability and support.
    neanderthal likes this.
  7. Don T

Don T Roaming Viking

Oddometer:
    The cheapest bike is the one you keep for a long time, so financial you are better of buying the "right" bike to begin with, rather than upgrading within a few years.
    The T7 is 52% more expensive than a CB500X in Norway (128k vs. 84k Nkr.). If you add a RR kit to the Honda (suspension, wheels and engine guard = 32.000 Nkr.) the T7 is only 10% more expensive.
    For the CB500X to make sense compared to the T7 you should skip the RR kit and ride it more or less as it comes out of the box - which would be perfectly fine for the waste majority of riding you have in mind.

Here is a good comparison between the 2 bikes by a guy with only a few years experience on 2 wheels.

I really like the CB500X. It's cheap, good quality and offers amazing range, but for my 183 cm the riding position is a bit cramped both sitting and standing.
    The T7 handles significantly better both on but especially off the pavement. The suspension is way better. The ergoes are spot on (for me) out of the box and the engine is both smoother and much more powerful.
    davyjones and neanderthal like this.
  8. 2wheelsrider

2wheelsrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    "Since we live in Norway where all offroading is forbidden (except your own garden) the best we can do is gravel roads here. We woulde have to travel quite far to do proper offroading."

VStrom 650 is reliable, comfortable, and consumes little gas. Not the best choice for hard off road, but it does so to some extent
    davyjones likes this.
  9. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    There is no "right" answer for this as you presented your question.

You need to decide what your priorities are. When are you going to make that trip to Mongolia? When you make that trip, are you going to follow roads (paved, used-to-be paved and unpaved) or do you intend to explore way off the beaten path?

If you answer those questions honestly, you'll be able to narrow down the specs that new bike needs to meet. People often buy bikes for dream rides they will never take. Buy the bike that meets 80-90% of your real riding situations.

Gustavo
    dmason, tokyo, Don T and 1 other person like this.
  10. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's extremely reliable, generally good value, and can be made dirtier if such is needed for a trip.
  11. derblauereiter

derblauereiter Mostly made of cheese Supporter

Oddometer:
    If it were me I’d keep the WR250X and get a comfy seat, luggage racks, and a big tank for it...
    dmason, proeliator and twinrider like this.
  12. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Could also get a set of offroad wheels.
    tokyo and derblauereiter like this.
  13. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mongolia, you say?

Harley Davidson?
  14. Highaltrider

Highaltrider Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have both a Wr250r and a 2015 RR CB500x. Both are heavily farkeled and set up for long distance travel. If Mongolia were on the itinerary I would get a used crf250l rally. The WRR is only sold/supported in first world countries. The CBX RR is a great bike and is supported world wide. Just too much mass to be any fun in the challenging conditions that I suspect will be encountered on a regular basis in Mongolia. The crf250l rally would be even better supported than the CBX RR.
    Adanac rider and eduro like this.
  15. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's funny,I listen to them quite a bit working in garage. I had it playing on the cell phone in neighbors yard and when the bird screeched in the beginning my neighbor started looking up into the sky.
    Ginger Beard and Xchemie like this.
  16. tokyo

tokyo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I still can't get over this comment..

"Since we live in Norway where all offroading is forbidden (except your own garden) the best we can do is gravel roads here. We woulde have to travel quite far to do proper offroading."

Something about this is so sad to me..
    davyjones, eduro and Ginger Beard like this.
  17. tokyo

tokyo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I rented a Husqvarna Svartpilen 401 and did some touring in Japan a couple weeks ago. That bike is a weapon on the crowded streets of Tokyo, perfectly livable at 100km on the freeway and a riot on gravel. And they are cheap too! here in the US anyway..

I had a Wr250X and CB500X and loved everything about both of them except they both felt lacking in power on the street.

Weirdly the Svartpilen didn't.. It felt like what I wanted the WR to feel like. Light and simple and a fun level of power.

If the KTM390 rides like that I would say you will have more fun on it that either the WR or CB.

Not sure about Mongolia, but if it was me I would have 2 bikes.. a ride everyday bike and a ride to Mongolia bike anyway.

Lots of compromises between a long distance mostly off-road bike and a daily rider mostly street/gravel bike.
  18. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is one of the most bad ass adv bikes I have ever seen.
    Amphib likes this.
  19. rickh123

rickh123 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For what you are describing, in my opinion, V Strom 650 would be the best choice. Great bike - believe me (I've had 13 of them).
    davyjones and eduro like this.
  20. Hakon92

Hakon92 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have looked at the v stom and other 650 bikes. They seem a littlw big for me.

After some research im leaning towards the crf 250l. I think a good trial run for lo g advwnture trips would be sections of the TET. A 250 seems like a much better fit for that. Since we have no offroad experience.
    DavidM1 and Ginger Beard like this.