Two Old Girls Meet for Brunch

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Eagletalon, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Eagletalon

Eagletalon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Last year my brother and I met at my hometown in Orlando, Fl and we toured some of the state: https://advrider.com/f/threads/two-old-girls-tour-florida.1410703/#post-38575114

This year we decided to take our first ride together (if you can call it that) by meeting for brunch. Only there is one little problem, he is stationed in VA and I live in FL. So we decided to meet halfway and go out for brunch and while not nearly halfway, Charleston, SC was about as good as we could get.

We are still riding the same two well maintained older bikes. My brother rides a 1995 Kawasaki Concours with 53k and I ride a 2003 BMW K1200RS with 29k. In total we rode 16+ hours and 850+ miles each to meet at the Early Bird Diner for brunch and it didn’t disappoint. We had the best chicken and waffles either of us have ever had. After brunch we rode to the USCG Station for some pics and we called it a day since we had to get back home.

IMG_0052.jpg

IMG_0043.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

IMG_0053.jpg

IMG_0048.jpg

IMG_0050.jpg

IMG_0051.jpg

IMG_0054.jpg
  2. CharlestonRider

CharlestonRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice post. At first, I didn't read your description, instead opting to "feast" on your photos (nice K1200RS, by the way...That bike is on my bucket list) and when I came upon the photo of the Early Bird Diner photo I immediately recognized it as familiar. Glad you enjoyed Charleston; it is a nice place to live.

I really appreciated your story. My older brother (who lives in Milwaukee, WI) and I used to meet "halfway" for motorcycle rides depending on where I was living at the time. Since moving to Charleston, SC we have met in Tennessee on several occasions to ride "The Dragon". Before moving to Charleston I used to live in Champaign, IL and I would ride my motorcycle (1981 Yamaha Seca 750) to visit him in Wisconsin and we would spend days scouring the Wisconsin countryside on our motorcycles. And, about 10 years ago, my older brother and I traveled to Colorado to visit our younger brother and go motorcycle riding in the Rocky Mountains (I rented a 2003 BMW K1200GT just like the bike you own). It snowed on us (in August), but we still had a great time.

So, keep getting together with your brother for motorcycle rides. Your story has reminded me that I need to do the same.

Thanks for sharing.

CharlestonRider
    aka John
    Eagletalon and The Virginian like this.
  3. The Virginian

The Virginian YouTube n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great post and good to see you and your brother finding a way to still get together. Thanks for posting!
    Eagletalon likes this.
  4. Thunderbutt

Thunderbutt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good on you both for sharing a common interest and going g the extra mile to spend time together.

If you and your brother are active or past military thank you for your service
    Eagletalon likes this.
  5. longwaypyder

longwaypyder Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 Early Bird diner.
    Eagletalon likes this.
  6. Eagletalon

Oddometer:
    We have been super close since childhood and we still try to see each other as much as possible although not as much as either one of us would like.

Either the GT or RS will not disappoint. That low end torque is incredible and having cruise control doesn’t hurt either. It seems to do best riding her at 80+ which isn’t hard to do on this bike. I’ve gotten as high as 48mpg and as low as mid 30’s.

Jon
    The Virginian likes this.
  7. Eagletalon

Oddometer:
    it was highly recommended by one of his fellow soldiers that was stationed in Charleston. Hope to make it back soon for more.
  8. CharlestonRider

CharlestonRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the follow up. I agree with your assessment of the K1200RS(GT). They are smooth and unique (quirky?). I have always been a big fan of the longitudinal K-bikes (I currently own a K75C).

If you are ever back in Charleston, the Variety Store Marina restaurant is a great place (with a nice view) as is the Swamp Fox Restaurant in the Francis Marion Hotel. My wife swears by the shrimp and grits.

John
    aka CharlestonRider
    Eagletalon and The Virginian like this.