Two Old Girls Mountain Escape

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Eagletalon, Nov 15, 2020.

1. Eagletalon

Eagletalon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

Last my brother started rising and subsequently we did our first ride. We rode around Florida (Two old girls tour Florida)
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/two-old-girls-tour-florida.1410703/#post-38575114

This year we met for lunch in Charleston, SC (Two Old girls meet for brunch) https://advrider.com/f/threads/two-old-girls-meet-for-brunch.1434839/

This year we were able to extend our riding to 5 days and we were able to escape for a couple of days of riding. My brother being stationed in VA he traveled to Fl a few days before to spend time with the family before we headed out.

The rides are a 2007 Yamaha FJR (his) and 2008 Yamaha FJR (mine). The ride took place from October 2-6 and our plans consisted of riding to Barber Motorsports and then riding the great roads of Blairsville, GA, Helen, and NC, TN and northern SC.

I want to thank for @Motorius for supplying me with a SAE adapter for my gerbing at the very last minute. Thank you for making my ride more comfortable as I had it one in multiple occasions.

Leaving that morning from our home in FL.

Day 1- from FL to Barber Motorsports in Alabama

We were on the road before 4am for a very long day ahead
    IMG_0632.jpg

IMG_0633.jpg

Somewhere in Alabama
    Adjustments.jpg

Along the way my bike rolled over 22k
    IMG_2220.jpg

We made it!!!!
    IMG_0639.jpg

Attached Files:

EMFL, GAS GUY, Chillis and 1 other person like this.
  2. Motorius

Motorius Road trippin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    Doesn’t Barber just kick ass?! Love that museum!
    nutmagnet likes this.
  3. Eagletalon

Oddometer:
    A few pictures from Barber Motorsports, if you haven’t been you owe it to yourself. You can spend a couple of days there and not be done. We arrived around 2pm and made our way through the entire museum as fast as we could. Here are a few pictures,

Adjustments.jpg

Adjustments.jpg

IMG_2235.jpg

Adjustments.jpg

IMG_2237.jpg

IMG_0706.jpg

IMG_0727.jpg

IMG_2240.jpg
    IMG_2249.jpg

IMG_0653.jpg

IMG_2252.jpg

IMG_0912.jpg

IMG_0915.jpg

IMG_0948.jpg

IMG_0951.jpg

IMG_2274.jpg

IMG_0971.jpg

IMG_0975.jpg

IMG_2263.jpg

IMG_1002.jpg

That first day we ended up going to downtown Birmingham (we weren’t impressed) and made our way to our Airbnb and called it a night. A little over 600 miles for the first day
  4. Eagletalon

Oddometer:
    We have to go back and be able to spend more than a couple of hours, but it was amazing
  5. Motorius

Motorius Road trippin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    be sure to ask to visit the lower level. You can get down there, you just have to ask & be accompanied.
  6. jna

jna Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome pictures from the museum.
  7. Krider1

Krider1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    really great report nice to see brothers doing thing like this nice pictures at barber.
    Eagletalon and Motorius like this.
  8. Eagletalon

Oddometer:
    We left the museum and headed to downtown Birmingham for some wings and to locate our Airbnb. Unbeknownst to either one of us the place where we booked was in a rough part of town, but thank God it had a garage as we wouldn’t have stayed there otherwise.

The house was at the end of a very steep driveway and I remember telling my brother to not feather the clutch and to just keep a steady speed up the driveway. Thank God that to the left it was all grass as he ended up feathering the clutch and dropping the bike. No plastics were cracked or scratched and we were able to laugh to the point of tears. Thinking about it still makes me laugh lol

IMG_2280.jpg

IMG_2283.jpg

Here is a picture of the driveway the next day heading out in the morning to our next destination IMG_2284.jpg
  9. Eagletalon

Oddometer:
    That morning we were leaving Birmingham, AL and we were headed to Blairsville, GA to get down to the good roads. The plans were to meet a local group of riders (guys who I ride with in Central Florida) and explore the area. What we didn’t realize is that we had lost 1 hour due to AL being Central Time, so although we left at 0551 it was technically 0651 and we didn’t realize that until we were about 2 hours into our ride. That morning the temperatures were in the low 40’s for most of our ride so the heated gear came clutch as we were able to maintain highway speeds (70-80) and not really be affected by the weather. I will add, my brother had the advantage with his VStream windshield, something that I will be adding to my bike as well.

View attachment 2657517

You can tell by the picture that it was cold. I will add that the heated gerbing jacket was enough to keep me warm. I would wear a shirt, an under armor cold gear shirt and the gerbing and that was good enough.

Stopped for breakfast in Ocoee, TN
    IMG_2287.jpg

IMG_1007.jpg

IMG_1009.jpg

IMG_1013.jpg

IMG_1014.jpg

IMG_1010.jpg

My brother and I will both agree this is when the real riding started, no more boring straight roads with new views pounding the miles. This is what both of us got here for and that was to enjoy the scenic views, the curves and the smell of fresh air. While we both ride sport cruisers (because of comfort) we both enjoy taking our time and smelling the roses during our rides. We have never been those to drag our knees in the curves (nothing wrong if you do) like Rossi and ride like speed demons.

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_1027.jpg

IMG_1030.jpg

Since we couldn’t meet with the guys because of our time blunder we rode around Blairsville, Helen and some of the good local roads

Adjustments.jpg

Adjustments.jpg

Adjustments.jpg

Adjustments.jpg

The next entry will be us riding around Blairsville and all the beautiful area has to offer. Words can’t say how much fun we had.

Attached Files:

Samspade and Motorius like this.
  10. Eagletalon

Oddometer:
    Right before we left that morning to GA I had to take a picture of my daughters drawing that she made for me (she was 4 at the time) so her and her brother could be with me in the trip. Every day I would take a picture at night and in the morning and it would make her day.

IMG_2282.jpg
    brucerogers and B10Dave like this.
  11. Eagletalon

Oddometer:
    Best part of our trip was being able to spend quality time together. We both have Shoei helmets with Sena intercoms and we talked the whole day. An amazing time that we can’t wait to do again
    Motorius likes this.
  12. Eagletalon

Oddometer:
    That first night in Blairsville while going up the gravel driveway I ended up dropping my bike. Nothing more than a few scrapes (no cracked plastics thanks God) and broken mirror. Really sour my mood but thank God it was the end of the day.

The next day went to Home Depot and bought gorilla glue and electrical tape and the mirror was as solid as before the fall and it’s still is as I have yet to replace it.

Went for breakfast at Hole in the Wall and it was delicious. Their eggs Benedict looked amazing and we should’ve had them, but went for something else.

IMG_2304.jpg

Heading out to meet the group for the days ride
    IMG_1039.jpg

Meeting the guys to head out. There were two k1600, 3 C14’s and 2 FJR’s
    IMG_2371.jpg

Adjustments.jpg

IMG_1044.jpg

Hogpen Pass
    IMG_1052.jpg

IMG_2369.jpg

IMG_2372.jpg

Adjustments.jpg

IMG_1057.jpg

Adjustments.jpg

IMG_1056.jpg

All the bikes in this picture ride all the way from Florida to ride the twisties. Great time was had by all of us
    Adjustments.jpg

One thing that we wished we would’ve been able to do was to stop more for pics while with the group.

IMG_2364.jpg

That day we did a mere 240 miles but were on the road for about 8 hours. Lovely day with the lads and enjoyable pace.

The group that I started riding with I found them through Facebook and what a find it was. They are older riders that are willing to teach if you are willing to learn. My riding skills have vastly improved and better yet, they are always pointing things out to better yourself as a rider.
  13. Eagletalon

Oddometer:
    The next day was our last day of being able to ride the area before heading home the following day. We booked a Airbnb in Greenville, SC, but hindsight we should’ve ran the area as the roads are out of this world. Our plans were to leave at the crack of dawn (which we did) and ride from Blairsville, GA to tail of the dragon, to pigeon forge via Foothills Parkway, up to Clingmans Dome, ride some of the Blue Ridge Parkway down to Greenville, SC. A very ambitious ride, but ignorance is bliss!

Before we left that day, an obligatory picture to send back home for the kids.
    IMG_2317.jpg

On our way to Fontana Dam
    Adjustments.jpg

Adjustments.jpg

IMG_1066.jpg

IMG_1068.jpg

IMG_1069.jpg

IMG_1079.jpg

IMG_1082.jpg

Finally made it to another one of our goals of the trip, TAIL OF THE DRAGON. We had a great time hut after riding the area for the last couple of days, we both concluded that it was a great road, but the area has a lot more to offer, but we can’t wait to go back!
    IMG_1083.jpg

IMG_1086.jpg

IMG_1088.jpg

IMG_1091.jpg

62359985098__1512F4A9-F751-4C21-9F25-594B7C4B4668.fullsizerender.jpg

IMG_1096.jpg

IMG_1098.jpg

IMG_1099.jpg

One picture from the Foothills Parkway
    IMG_1103.jpg

Attached Files:

brucerogers likes this.
  14. Eagletalon

Oddometer:
    We stopped in Pigeon Forge to eat at Paula Deen’s and it didn’t disappoint
    IMG_2325.jpg

62360618538__0309A7BA-8E7B-4407-BF47-09C2997502D7.jpg

From there we took the Gatlingburg Bypass towards Clingmans Dome.
    IMG_1106.jpg

Once we made it to Clingmans Dome road very close to the top, the traffic was brutal and we had the bright idea to park along the way and walk all the way to the top (very bad idea). We walked over a mile in gears carrying our helmets to the top. The views were breathtaking and the weather was perfect.
    Adjustments.jpg

Adjustments.jpg

IMG_2333.jpg

Adjustments.jpg

IMG_2337.jpg

Adjustments.jpg

From there we headed to the Blue Ridge Parkway. My old girl also crossed the 23k mark
    IMG_2347.jpg

One of the reasons for hitting the BRP was to take some scenic pictures for my friend. Her brother was an avid rider and the last ride he took before passing was to the BRP
    IMG_1108.jpg

IMG_2352.jpg

IMG_1110.jpg

Adjustments.jpg
  15. Eagletalon

Oddometer:
    The last day we didn’t take any pictures but my usual pic of my daughter’s drawing to send back home. We slabbed it the whole way home. In total we rode 2040 miles together, the bikes performed flawlessly and we are already planning our next ride. Thank you all for watching stay safe and keep the rubber down.

Eli and Jon
  16. nutmagnet

nutmagnet Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    There are lot's of great roads in that area that don't have reptile names.Come on back when you have time to explore.
    Eagletalon likes this.