Two Old Girls Tour Florida

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Eagletalon, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Eagletalon

Eagletalon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This ride has been many years of dreaming and finally came to fruition. I have been into motorcycles for a long time and finally got my first motorcycle back in 2014. My brother has always been a little hesitant, but this year decided to go for his license and soon after bought his first motorcycle.

He is currently stationed in VA so there was no real way for us to get together for a ride. Finally he was able to get the days off and ride down on 10/01 and left early morning 10/06. We rode together for 4 days and 1087 miles and he rode a total of 2,407 miles.

The rides:
    2003 BMW K1200RS (mine)
    59A20D07-145C-4634-8A3B-90C328691F82.jpg

1995 Kawasaki Concours (his)
    IMG_7968.JPG
  2. Eagletalon

Oddometer:
    10/01
    We met along I95 on Palm Coast. I have to admit that the Concours really impressed me. That bike ran like a sewing machine all ride and never had a hiccup. She currently sits at 49k and k1200rs at 26k.

IMG_7838.JPG

IMG_7842.JPG

IMG_7843.JPG
    EZMoney, CCitis, popscycle and 2 others like this.
  3. Eagletalon

Oddometer:
    We used Guru maps to track our ride during the whole ride. Here is a map of the first days progress of us riding together.

IMG_7848.JPG

First night
    IMG_7847.JPG

10/02 was a rest day as we were getting ready to ride to Miami the following day. However we did go to Ace Cafe to get some pictures. Sad to admit that we went 2 different times and both times the gift shop was closed. We couldn’t get our Ace Cafe decals.

IMG_7866.JPG

IMG_7874.JPG

762f4eb9-48c5-4077-8f48-27838a5e0e10.jpg

7997b411-7632-46ba-9e59-af40d08d5157.jpg

463f2bc8-5eab-4b39-baa6-cc0627d03471.jpg
    popscycle likes this.
  4. Eagletalon

Oddometer:
    10/3 : We ride to Miami

We rode to Miami as my brother had to run a couple of errands that he couldn’t take care when he left to be stationed in VA. Other than that it was a very uneventful ride with lots of stop and go traffic. Our plan was to make our way through the middle of the state via lake okeechobee but we were stopped on our tracks. There was a Truck versus motorcycle accident that resulted the death of the rider. When we got there the state troopers were on seen and waiting on forensics to arrive. Not the sight you want to have on any day especially while riding.

Near Melbourne
    IMG_7882.JPG

IMG_7883.JPG

Who said Sport Touring bikes couldn’t handle water crossings?
    IMG_7887.JPG

Near the children’s museum in Miami. We had been here a number of years past and there was no construction and there was a clear path to take pics with all the high rises in the back. Not the the case today, everything was under construction, but the construction guys gave us the okay to go on the sidewalk and take a couple of pictures.

IMG_7891.JPG

IMG_7895.JPG

A gas station after we detour away from Lake Okeechobee
    IMG_7896.JPG

Also on this day my bike rolled past 26k
    IMG_7899.JPG

We made it to Ace Cafe only to have a flat 5 mins later when we were getting ready to leave. I’m just happy it didn’t happen on the turnpike on our way home as that would’ve been real ugly. Ended up riding to the nearby gas station and putting some air in the front tire. In the process i ruined my front tire so the next day I searched for a new tire. I can’t speak enough about Southern Cycles in Apopka. I explained the situation and our ride and they told me to just bring the tire in and they will fit me in. We did just that and we were ready 3 hours later. Kudos to a great shop will to help on short notice.
    EZMoney, popscycle and B10Dave like this.
  5. Eagletalon

Oddometer:
    10/4
    We did no riding this day and we just hung around with the family.

10/5
    I met with @Rennsport from Advrider and went out for breakfast and a nice twisty ride with some other guys. Thanks for showing us around Russell, the brother and I had a blast, sorry we couldn’t complete the whole ride. We rode a total of 240 miles that day

IMG_7908.JPG

View attachment 1931733
    EZMoney and B10Dave like this.
  6. Eagletalon

Oddometer:
    11/6
    That was the day the brother was leaving and our ride would come to a close.

We are from San Sebastián, Puerto Rico and were tickle to see the road carry the same name.
    IMG_7927.JPG

On the way to Jacksonville, we had to make a stop to buy some gear my brother had arranged to buy. We didn’t know we would be driving on sand. Thank God it was wet, otherwise we would have dropped the bikes.

IMG_7930.JPG

Map showing our route from beginning to end
    4 days of riding, 12 fill ups and our ride had come to a close
    IMG_7940.JPG
  7. Eagletalon

Oddometer:
    This ride was a total blast. To be able to ride with the brother was a dream come true. The ride left us itching for more and hope to repeat next year, but with a full week of riding.

Thoughts on the bikes

K1200rs - What can I say about this bike that hasn’t been said. She is heavy and heavier than any bike I’ve ever owned, but once you get her going she is a joy to ride. The K engine is just fun and seems to be happy at 80+ and without loosing much economy mid to high 30’s. Without the saddle bags it feels like a complete different ride and feels very light and nimble. During our ride on 11/5 while cruising at constant 40-60 the bike I got one tank of 45 and another of 48mpg. The engine will cook your legs when stopped at a light and riding at low speeds. That being said she is a joy to ride and can’t wait for next years ride.

Concours GTR100 - my brother bought her for $950 and has put about another $850 bringing her back to life. Great bike for the age which surprised the two of us. Turns on a dime and with its massive 7.5gal tank you can ride basically 200+ mile stretches without any issues. He would fill up when I would need gas not because he needed to, but to avoid stopping soon after. Consistently averaged almost 40mpg and on our ride on 11/5 had a 49mpg tank. Just like the k1200rs she is a leg cooker and once she gets moving feels a lot lighter and nimble. Truly impressed that a 24 year old bike rode the way she did. My brother loves maintenance and you can tell by looking at her, she might not be the prettiest bike, but mechanically she is solid.

Until next time
    Jon
    EZMoney, tjzondrz and B10Dave like this.
  8. ZigzagguzzI

ZigzagguzzI Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like you had a good trip.
    Eagletalon likes this.
  9. Eagletalon

Oddometer:
    It really was and it made us both want to do it again next year but covering a lot more ground
    CCitis likes this.
  10. CCitis

CCitis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Love trip reports with older bikes.... good stuff.
    Eagletalon likes this.
  11. Flyfishing1

Flyfishing1 n00b

Oddometer:
    Cool trip ..
    Eagletalon likes this.
  12. Eagletalon

Oddometer:
    It was a great time. But the company is what really made it that much more enjoyable. We have Sena’s paired the whole time. And nothing like riding and shooting the breeze with the brother.