Two old men on two 1200s go west

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by augiedog, Feb 22, 2015.

1. augiedog

augiedog augie dog

Oddometer:
    After dealing with a much colder than normal winter in NC my friend and riding buddy has talked me into a mid march ride from NC to califorina and back. I'll admit it weren't too hard to do. I tend to lean more to longer multi day adventures, and riding 6000 or more miles and leavin in late winter (early march) from the carolina foothills will likley make for an intresting trip in itself. Opa and I met several years ago after I chased him down in SC while chasing a tag in a local tag game we were playing. After talking we found we had a lot in common and became instant riding buddies and friends. Over the past several years he and I and another riding buddy, Flasher have logged many miles chasing each other all over the mountians and backroads of the carolinas. Being retired, Opa and I ride often and have taken several multi day trips to Florida, western Tenn. , and Kentucky. We both rode 650s until recently movin to larger ADV bikes. He recently aquired a 2015 BMW GS 1200 and I now ride a newYamaha Super Tenere. We are both very experienced dualsport riders with years of riding. Our plan is to ride all 2 lane back roads working our way south and west as the weather dictates. We have discussed and agreed on a roughly laid out route using the tent space link and camping when possible to cut down on cost. As we are both retired we have no real need to rush and hope to take some time to smell the roses as we go.[/B][/IMG] here is Opa on his new steed. [​IMG] this is me, Augiedog and my new ride [​IMG]
  2. Guls

Guls Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like good time, keep us ousted with pictures. Have a safe trip. I also ride a ST.
  3. Merlin III

Merlin III Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good riding. In the same retirement boat myself.
  4. MassiveLee

MassiveLee Banned

Oddometer:
    Be flexible on your departure date. Check weather forecasts. If you can get a good 10 days window, then go South. If you hit snow, then pick a good motel with satelitte TV and a strip joint not too far...
  5. augiedog

augiedog augie dog

Oddometer:
    Thought I would take a little time and post up a few pictures of what you can expect to see in this report. These are a few pictures that have been taken in and around my local riding area over the last several months. Opa is a much better photographer than myself and you can look forward to some great pictures. If you would like a little preview of his work you should check out the Opa Rides thread in the day trippin report section. Here are a few preview pictures. [​IMG] Took this while ridin with several friends from the Chatlotte ADV ride group. [​IMG] This shot was taken while ridin a portion of the Blue Ridge Parkway this fall with a close friend. [​IMG] Took this early in the fall in the Linville, Brown Mt. area of NC. while takin a friend on her first off road adventure ride. [​IMG]
  6. augiedog

augiedog augie dog

Oddometer:
    We are down to less than two weeks till or estimated departure date. Looks like the weather in NC is starting to warm up and turn more in our favor. We have been keeping a close eye on the weather along our planned route. It is susposed to be in the 60s and 70s here in the next few days and I am going to use the next several days to do some last minute preparations to my bike. I recently purchased a new 590 lm garmin gps and have been spending the last several weeks learning how to build, convert them into gps files and install them as routes and tracks from other mapping programs into the garmin unit. I have been using the garmin streetpilot units for about 10 years and resisted changing to another type unit untill recently. So far it has not been that difficult to learn the new unit as it seems to be very user friendly and simmilar to the older garmin operating systems. The 590 lm was designed for motorcycle use and employs some usefull features not found on other units. I plan to install the new unit alongside my streetpilot. I will also be installing two new Shinko 705 radial dualsport tires. Opa has been busy over the last several weeks planning and laying out our route from his home in Spartanburg SC to Garden Grove Calif. As we are hoping to use the ADV tent space site for some of our overnite stops we have sent out emails to several inmates in preperation for our trip departure.[/IMG]
  7. augiedog

augiedog augie dog

Oddometer:
    Opa is running the same gps on his BMW as it is offered on the 2015 GS 1200. We have spent several hours over the phone getting fimilar with the new units, planning and discussing the trip. Opa has layed our route in 7 segments, 1 for each day. These routes are set up to run two lane roads with little or no interstate highway use. These are not a set in stone route and we may alter or change them as the trip progresses. We are also planning to take a more northern, senic and relaxed route back to the Carolinas, weather cooperating. We are planning to travel lite with minimal camping and clothing. We will be dining at local resturants and fuel stops. His bike is equipped with the BMW expandable painners and he will use a soft dry bag on the rear seat and tail rack. I am running the Givi Tenere side mounts with the 33 liter treker outback painners. I will also use a 35 liter dry bag on the rear seat and rack. Opa is using Rev zit riding pants and jacket with waterproof liners. I will use Olimpic pants and jacket also with waterproof liners. We both also will be using heated jackets and gloves as needed. We both also have heated grips. Opa is an avid photographer and will carry several cameras. I am planning to do an ongoing trip report and plan to post as many pictures as possible. We plan to stay in contact with family and friends following along and can be contacted by sending either of up a pm thru ADV. We look forward to meeting new inmates as we travel.[/IMG]
  8. Wallacey

Wallacey n00b

Oddometer:
    Mate, your tags aren't working :D
  9. BluRidgeRider

BluRidgeRider Long Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Subscribed! Ride safe, my friends.

Numa
  10. Westbay

Westbay Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    In, Thanks for sharing the adventure, Look forward to following alone.
  11. on2wheels52

on2wheels52 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a fun ride, post your planned route when have a chance.
    Jim
  12. sstracke

sstracke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A nice teaser. Looking forward to the report.
  13. The Opa

The Opa experienced

Oddometer:

We have tried to route using Tent Space. Not all the Tent Space'rs have responded yet, or maybe my first PM went awry.
    Anyway, planned first day:

[​IMG]

We are not out to set any records (I hope) but then again we wouldn't care to abuse Tent Space hospitality.
  14. trypod-AL

trypod-AL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :clapSounds great Augiedog. I will try to follow along when I can. You know I am not too computer friendly. Thanks for the link and be safe. August will be here soon, and Bud and I will be off on our trip.
  15. The Opa

The Opa experienced

Oddometer:
    Planned day 2

[​IMG]
  16. augiedog

augiedog augie dog

Oddometer:
    I spent most yesterday getting some maintance and final preparations done to my Tenere. Spent several hours fabricating and making a mount to mount both my 2820 streetpilot and a new 590 LM Zumo together behind the windscreen above the instrument cluster. It came our really well. I wanted to retain both units, the 2820 for route storage, trip info, and music as it has a built in XM radio with up to the minute weather and traffic info and over 100 music channels. The 590 will be used for route planning and running nagivation as it has updated maps and a larger much easier to read screen.I feel the new 590 is more user friendly and easier to use on the fly. I have hardwired both units together and have all the audio from both units including the XM radio music wired into my helment via bluetooth. I will mount 2 new Shinko 705 radial dualsport tires this weekend. I also need to update my tool bag to make it more compatable to the Tenere. Don't need much when you ride a Yamaha.
    Spent some time last nite planning and laying out a diffrent return route home. Opa seems to feel it may be a little too aggressive for early April as it has us traveling thru northern Arizona into the Grand Canyon area up thru Colorado, northern New Mexico, Oklohoma and Arkansas. We will just have to wait and see what develops weather wise. If need be we will drop south and re- group as we go. As I have stated earlier we both are very flexable as to our planned routes. I spent several weeks in Colorado last year while ridin the full TAT trail and have been lookin forward to returning to the area since. Here are a few pictures from that trip taken in early spring. [​IMG] We were the first two bikes to complete the TAT last year.This was taken on an overnite stop at the the famous TAT shak in the Ozark mountians in May. Right to left are Trypod Al my tat riding partner, Pete,the propieter of the shak and the BIg Dog himself. [​IMG] After waiting several hours for the Dozer crew to clear and open the pass he made this picture of Al and Myself at the top of the road over the mountian. [​IMG] We reached Port Oford on June 12th, 5400 miles in 28 days.[​IMG]
  17. trypod-AL

trypod-AL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Augiedog, I don't think you could traverse the route over "Cinnamon Pass" either at this time of year! Great photos of our trip last year though. :rofl
  18. The Opa

The Opa experienced

Oddometer:
    Day 3

[​IMG]

Day 4

[​IMG]
  19. The Opa

The Opa experienced

Oddometer:
    Day 5

[​IMG]
  20. spudp

spudp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks like you'll be coming right by my place on day 1.
    There's a nice covered bridge called Poole's Mill Bridge right off your route. It's less than a 1/2 mile off Hwy 369, but I don't think you'll see any signs for the turn off. Here's the address if you want to stretch your legs for a minute.
    7725 Pooles Mill Rd, Ball Ground, GA 30107

There's also a top notch mom-n-pop burger joint called "The Burger Stop" on the route too. It's about 5 minutes before the bridge. http://theburgerstopga.com/

Subscribed and looking forward to tagging along.