Two stroke as an adventure bike

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by Shawnspeed, Apr 19, 2017.

1. buellfire

buellfire Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have two bikes. A Dr650 for adventure with a bit more gravel and hard roads, but amazingly capable on tight single track if necessary. However if I need to be reminded of my youth I have a plated KDX200 1999 with a tusk dualsport kit on it. She will run 65-70 mph if called for and there is nothing like coming on the pipe blasting down a back road or hitting a berm and carrying the front wheel halfway down the next part of the trail. The KDX is fun on single track and will tractor up any hill.
  2. spokester

spokester Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is in the December 1972 issue of Cycle magazine. Sorry for the photos, scanner's out. They rode two Yankee Z 500 twins 5,000 miles up to Alaska and back, consuming 20 spark plugs. The other rider was an inexperienced youngster with long hair and a marijuana leaf t-shirt! This has always set the bar for me as far as a two stroke adventure ride goes. Bear in mind, they had no NAVIs, cell phones or chase vehicles. DSCN6634.JPG DSCN6635.JPG DSCN6636.JPG DSCN6637.JPG
  3. JensEskildsen

JensEskildsen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Whoa, thats a lot of plugs....I have over 5000 miles on a single one.
  4. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a dt3 yamaha 250 trail bike for years.At that time everyone had a Suzuki or Yamaha 250.What the hell is premix?We would all use the bikes as commuters in the week and go trail riding in the weekend.You would just put petrol in and keep an eye on the oil tank.Every petrol station sold two stroke oil.In our group of four or five i think one guy had a XL250 honda 4t
    ohgood likes this.
  5. rjmorel

rjmorel Dual Sporticus

Oddometer:
    My first ADV ride on the road was on a 76 TS250 Suzuki. Rode from Walla Walla , WA to the Oregon coast, then up highway to Seattle, Then over Snoqualmie Pass back to Walla Walla. Was a fun trip, all highway ,bike did great. Fellow I rode with was on a Honda XL250. I'd do it again in a heartbeat, rj
    ausfahrt likes this.
  6. miguelR

miguelR biker

Oddometer:
    spokester likes this.
  7. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    i love checking in on this thread. you guys and your 2t adventures/stories, really make it a nice place to visit. :-)
  8. ohgood

Oddometer:
    I'm going to try and find an archive of that article and put it on the garage wall. thanks for stirring my interest. :-)
    spokester likes this.
  9. ohgood

Oddometer:
    South Dakota will tag any bike over 199cc.
    My friend has a beta300 tagged/tigled through SD, transfered to our state. it is an incredible machine, without comparing it to my old kdx. I think the lectron guys are working on an oil injection version of their carb, he runs the regular lectron (without injection yet) and has had very good results in power and efficiency.

The last time I rode hard trails, there were a few guys on newer beta/huskys that had unbelievable clutch control. They lapped us, and we got to hear just how low and strong their bikes ran in the gnarly sections. Made me want to buy a few clutch fiber kits and just do nothing but work on technique to try and get closer to their level of control. Anyway, just wanted to point out the South dakota posibility. Mine is tagged via this method, it's super fun to connect trails without worry, via streets. :-)
  10. ohgood

Oddometer:
    i stumbled across the dr200 videos on youtube , then googled, and almost cried when i realized it wasn't here in the usa.

and the reason 2t bikes aren't legal here is... millions of people would commute on them and pollute the skyline ? no, they wouldn't. i'm not sure why really. :(
    MATTY and Bucho like this.
  11. moparnut

moparnut Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Many many moons ago when I was young, in school and little money I had a Yamaha Trail 80 geared for the street. It was a great little bike that I rode everywhere. I put 17,000 miles on that little jewel. It probably ran at full throttle most of the time. The only trouble I had with it was the lower end. But in all fairness this was after I hopped it up enough to be able to accelerate with my buddy on his 305 Honda Dream.

Chrysler was working with 2 stroke technology not too many years ago. They put it back on the shelf because of fuel economy and the cost of meeting emissions. With major advances in direct fuel injection and combustion chamber design it wouldn't surprise me to see two strokes come back.
    kk
  12. MATTY

MATTY BORDER RAIDER

Oddometer:
    Fuel injection would be a big help with emissions and improving MPG economy, mpg on some 2strokes can be a problem and although across the board two strokes tend it use more fuel than four strokes of similar power and capacity the power 2 strokes make if used properly can improve things with regards the two strokes overall performance as a whole.
    Matching bike to task with two strokes helps with economy, i did 20 years ago briefly have a Yamaha DT125 a twin shock 1973 model, this bike had been fitted with some ex honda xl 250 yokohama trail bike tyres which had slightly bigger size and RR and altered the stock overall gearing slightly, this coupled with the slightly more aggressive tyre treads effectively turned that little 125 into a gas guzzler it quite often turned in 40MPG on 30 mile commutes where an RS100 yamaha had been returning 80sin MPG and at higher speeds.
    I sold the DT 125 and got aDT175 MX model, this proved better on fuel and on trials type tyres returned mid to high 60s MPg compared to the125s40s.
    The lad who bought the125 did fit it with Dunlop K81 rear and michelin trials front tyre and the bike improved on fuel low60s but still worse than the 175 returned on MPG.
    Ran theDT175 a wile replaced it with aDT250 this again was mid to late 60s no worse than the175, so matching bike for task is more about how individual models tend to perform on MPG when long distance is involved and economy is something you require. I have no experience but heard rumours theDT360 and DT400swere in the 30s MPG so if this is indeed true, it would suggest the dt175sand dt250s in the DT range is the best distance mpg model to chose.
    I am sure other ranges of bikes road and Trail will show differences in MPG that don’t necessarily align with their capacities in ccs but porting design carb size etc all can play apart in MPG and performance, big two strokes can be heavy on fuel, but all aspects of these bikes need to be looked at.
    Look at the water buffalo suzuki they cover the miles and i dare say they use fuel but i can only imagine proportionately the far out perform my old DT125 and its 40 MPG returns.
  13. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    10 years ago I had a Yamaha DT230, a pretty high tech road legal 2 stroke. Electric start, balance shaft, electonic power valve, traction control, 165kph (102mph) top speed with stock gearing. 16 way suspension clickers. Just a totally fantastic bike on or off road.
    Pezz_gs and Jimo368 like this.
  14. JensEskildsen

JensEskildsen Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a Dt125r with full on knobbies, I have to FLOG it to get under 48mpg
  15. MATTY

MATTY BORDER RAIDER

Oddometer:
    No doubt but mine did not get over 50mpg whatever way you rode i t and as i said it returned40mpg fairly often it only needed a slight headwind to put it down there, as i said the DT175 MX was much better on fuel overall.
  16. JensEskildsen

JensEskildsen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Roger, just trying to say that I have no problem using my dt125r as an adventure bike, and it will return the same mpg as my xt600.

I had one of the newer dt175 with disc brake up front, but it wasnt as good as a bike as the 125.
  17. bark sampler

bark sampler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interesting you bring up the DT230. There’s a company in China re-creating that motor for a line of new bikes. (See the Pitster TSE 250 thread in “thumpers”)

It’s basicsly the same motor in a modern KTMish frame. Is that the right formula for lightweight 2-stroke ADVing? Was it that good on the trail?
    Pezz_gs likes this.
  18. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    That thread seems to be about a 4 stroke, you'll need to link to the 2 stroke, I'm not going to read over 150 pages to find it. Adventure bikes are a compromise of course, the DT230 was light and powerful, but the frame and suspension weren't state of the art. I had an XT600 at the same time, it was night and day, there was very little the XT could do better than the DT230, apart from Africa.
  19. bark sampler

bark sampler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the real world comments. I’d say to skip the threads in the thumper forum on the bike, very hard to sort through the chatter and trash talk to find real info.

In the vendor forum you can see some pictures: http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/pitster-pro-gpx-moto-enduro-motorcycles-tse-fse-lxr.1270705/
  20. PSchrauber

PSchrauber Long timer

Oddometer:
    Summer: Kemiö, Finland; Winter: North Germany
    No fuel injection, no seperate oil injection that is nuts or overkill*.
    All you need (in my experience*) is just a plain 2 stroke that is NOT designed to give out maximum power instead layed out for torque and endurance.

Or (second best) a two stroke engine which is desoígned for max. torque which would work too but is rather slow in my experience.

To gas issue there is none, you can get extra gas with you there are 1,5l Fuelfreinds canister available which are easy to Transport or attach to the bike if in need.
    To the oil get a small transparent plastic can with you, sp can squeece and the Containment should have a ml. scale then just some real easy math and getting fuel is not a problem or you are just not samrt enough to ride a two stroke!
    (A local drug store should have medical transparent plastic containments that withstands gas and oil, can be closed thight and have a ml scale).

Good bikes:
    MZ, Simson, but too most bikes with rotary valve engines.

On a trip with a MZ300:
    [​IMG]

In the Alpes 2017:
    [​IMG]

In the Alpes 2016:
    [​IMG]