Two stroke as an adventure bike

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by Shawnspeed, Apr 19, 2017.

1. spokester

spokester Long timer

Oddometer:
    :clapRight on Schrauber, great pictures!:clap
  2. PSchrauber

PSchrauber Long timer

Oddometer:
    Summer: Kemiö, Finland; Winter: North Germany
    Tgank You.

OK here an other photo with a two stroke motorcycle on the road, in the mountains:

[​IMG]
  3. JensEskildsen

JensEskildsen Long timer

Oddometer:
    From my last trip on my dt125r, 200km trip with friends on exc400, ttr250, xt600 and another 250 i dont recall the make of.
    [​IMG]
  4. Borgström

Borgström Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    Good to see an SWM, I had two of them in the 80`s, RS125GS. Did not travel too far on them thou.
    Runaway Train and PSchrauber like this.
  5. PSchrauber

PSchrauber Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are right the tank with 5l gasoline will be just sufficient for 100km roadwork. For terrain riding you need more. I carry 3l spare fuel in two separate 1,5l canister with me that gives ma a bit more range.

For adventure trips still not very long.
  6. PSchrauber

PSchrauber Long timer

Oddometer:
    On the other hand in that mountains 100km is really long and takes a complete day.
  7. JensEskildsen

JensEskildsen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Went on another dualsport ride with a friend. We decided to make a roadtrip with as much gravel as possible, using only small roads.
    We planned for 4 days of camping, but we had to return the same night as my friend got sick.
    We managed just a hair under 350km for the day. In doing so I got 54mpg on my little Yammie Dt125r. I didnt even had to turn on reserve at 200km:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Bucho, Pezz_gs and aptbldr like this.
  8. miguelR

miguelR biker

Oddometer:
    I just returned from traveling 2000 kms through the jungle (Misiones, Argentina) in the old Jawa 350
    Misiones Ruta Costera10.jpg Misiones Salto Encantado6.jpg Misiones Salto Encantado14.jpg Misiones Ruta costera.jpg Misiones Ruta Costera9.jpg
    Bucho likes this.
  9. miguelR

miguelR biker

Oddometer:
    And More...

Misiones Salto Encantado24.jpg Misiones Saltos del Moconá2.jpg Misiones Saltos del Moconá3.jpg Misiones Saltos del Moconá4.jpg Misiones Saltos del Moconá7.jpg Misiones Saltos del Moconá8.jpg Misiones Saltos del Moconá12.jpg
    Bucho likes this.
  10. miguelR

miguelR biker

Oddometer:
    And even more ...

Misiones Saltos del Moconá14.jpg
    Misiones Saltos del Moconá17.jpg
    Corrientes34.jpg
    Misiones Ruta Costera1.jpg
    Misiones Ruta Costera3.jpg
    Misiones Salto Encantado32.jpg
    Misiones Ruta Costera22.jpg
    Scoozi, Dao1, A_Vasiliev and 2 others like this.
  11. Rockaway

Rockaway Gregtiger800

Oddometer:
    Good afternoon all. I just starting to think about running the "Tour of Idaho" on a 2004 KTM 200 exc in 2021. Sounds like a lot of fun. Any thoughts toward running a light weight 2 stroke in Idaho on mostly single track?
    Bucho likes this.
  12. ihatemybike

ihatemybike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do it!

Researching the "Tour of Idaho" I'm wanting to do it too.
  13. rednkarch

rednkarch Adventurer

Oddometer:
    2 stroke adv bike - Certainly! I started riding on Honda XR's, and have had a couple other bikes since then, but settled on a Kawasaki KX 500. This one I built from the ground up with every nut, bolt and bearing replaced/upgraded. it's fully balanced and blueprinted with a Lectron Carb, v-force reeds, porting, WPC treated transmission, guts tall seat and so on. My best friend who built the engine internals and guided me on the "smart" parts and mods has it's duplicate with a Smart Carb. They both have custom ignition, KX450 suspension/brakes, one off overdrive 5th gears in the trans. It has an oversize tank and I designed a custom rear rack bracket to handle an extra 2.2 gallons for those long rides. No it's not the best at everything, but at 220 lbs w/o rack and oversized tank it's not bad. With the mods and a 500 2 stroke SAMSUNG_SCH-I535_7230544-7236678_000.JPG it's got gobs of broad power in a stable chassis. I can take it on a tight trail ride then switch over and race desert then commute to work. Yeah you have to carry pre-mix, but with Ams-oil Saber pillow packs you can easily meter for 1 gallon increments of fuel.
  14. Pablogordo

Pablogordo Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yowza kx500!

I’m liking the GPX Moto TSE250R more and more I see people out using them and racking up miles and hours (for good and bad, some have had issues, some haven’t)
  15. backofbeyond

backofbeyond Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If nothing else it's more of an adventure riding a two stroke - particularly a slow one. I started off doing long distances on two strokes back in the 70's when they seemed like the future and nobody was that bothered about clouds of smoke following you down the road. This is a 250 Yamaha in Morocco after we'd ridden it from London -

[​IMG]

More recently I've been adventure riding on a eurobarnfind '76 Suzuki 120 -

[​IMG]

Top of the mountain at the Stella Alpina in Italy

[​IMG]

Returning from the Elephant rally in southern Germany

[​IMG]

Coming back through a flooded France from a ski trip to the Alps

[​IMG]

Waiting for the ferry at Dover UK at the start of a trip to Mauritania (that one didn't work!)

This year I had a plan to go back to Morocco on a 250 Yamaha and started prepping the bike -

[​IMG]

Sadly Covid knocked that trip (and many others) on the head but it's rescheduled for 2021.
    The Suzuki may be off to France again in a couple of weeks, restrictions notwithstanding.
  16. Pablogordo

Pablogordo Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    need to like this post a few more times...signs of a life well-lived!!!
  17. miguelR

miguelR biker

Oddometer:
    February / March 2020. Montevideo (Uruguay) -Porto Xavier (Brazil) -Misiones (Argentina)

1a-mapa.jpg 2 Uruguay-Tacuarembo1.jpg 2c Brasil-De SantanadoLivramento a RosariodoSul.jpg 2d Brasil-De SantanadoLivramento a RosariodoSul.jpg 15 Brasil Rota das Missoes9.jpg 17 Brasil Rota das Missoes18-RS168.jpg 19 Brasil Rota das Missoes2-Gruta de Fatima.jpg 22 Brasil Rota das Missoes2-Gruta de Fatima4.jpg
    ausfahrt likes this.
  18. miguelR

miguelR biker

Oddometer:
    More from Brazil

24 Brasil Rota das Missoes.jpg 23 Brasil Rota das Missoes1.jpg 26 Brasil Rota das Missoes4-Jaguari2.jpg 31 Brasil Rota das Missoes3.jpg 32 Brasil Rota das Missoes16.jpg 38 Brasil-Porto Xavier6.jpg 37 Brasil-Porto Xavier5.jpg 45 Brasil-Porto Xavier9.jpg 48 Brasil-Porto Xavier12.jpg 53 Brasil-Porto Xavier-Balsa1.jpg
  19. miguelR

miguelR biker

Oddometer:
    Misiones (Argentina)

55 Brasil-Porto Xavier-Balsa3.jpg 59 Argentina-Misiones-San Javier3.jpg 61 Argentina-Misiones-Ruta costera2.jpg 62 Argentina-Misiones-Ruta costera3.jpg 66 Argentina-Misiones4.jpg 69 Argentina-Misiones7.jpg 60 Argentina-Misiones-Ruta costera1.jpg 70b Argentina-Misiones6.jpg 71b Argentina-Misiones-Santa Rita.jpg 83 Argentina-Misiones-Salto Piedras Blancas10.jpg
  20. miguelR

miguelR biker

Oddometer:
    More from Argentina

76 Argentina-Misiones-Salto Piedras Blancas3.jpg 82 Argentina-Misiones-Salto Piedras Blancas9.jpg 81 Argentina-Misiones-Salto Piedras Blancas8.jpg 87 Argentina-Misiones-Selva4 Valle del CuñaPirú.jpg 85 Argentina-Misiones-Selva2 Valle del CuñaPirú.jpg 86 Argentina-Misiones-Selva3 Valle del CuñaPirú.jpg 89 Argentina-Misiones-Candelaria9.jpg 96 Argentina-Misiones-Candelaria7.jpg 95 Argentina-Misiones-Candelaria6.jpg 98 Argentina-Misiones-Rambla 2.jpg