Two stroke as an adventure bike

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by Shawnspeed, Apr 19, 2017.

1. miguelR

miguelR biker

Oddometer:
    99 Argentina-Misiones-Parque Candelaria.jpg 100 Argentina-Misiones-Acceso Posadas.jpg 103b Argentina-Ruta 105.jpg 104 Argentina-Corrientes2.jpg 107 Argentina-Corrientes4.jpg 108 Argentina-Entre Rios1.jpg 110 Uruguay-Salto-Represa2.jpg 112 Uruguay-Ruta3.jpg 114 Uruguay-Flores6-Zooilogico.jpg 116 Uruguay-Flores1.jpg
    bark sampler and greasyfatman like this.
  2. sonofernest

sonofernest Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did an overnight, 100 mile round trip through the NJ Pine Barrens on the IT425. Works fine as long as gas stops are planned as I only have a 65-75 mile range. 20180823_220700.jpg 20180825_114332.jpg long road.jpg
    bark sampler, Pablogordo and duggram like this.
  3. duggram

duggram Sunrise Bahia de LA Supporter

Oddometer:
    sonofernest likes this.
  4. chiefrider

chiefrider Chrome won't get you home

Oddometer:
    Before it was a "thing," my brother, Dave and I were adventure touring.
    In the summer of 1972, he and I, with his Honda CL77 and me with my M&M green Yamaha DS6C, rode the North Dakota Badlands, the South Dakota Black Hills, and into the Colorado Mountains in around Denver, Gunnison, and Monarch Pass.
    We did our share of pavement, but took many interesting-looking gravel tracks in the mountains. The scramblers were so-so dirtbikes, but far better on the highway than the singles. We had stock bash plates, high pipes and cross-braced "motocross" handlebars.
    Dave's four stroke twin got better gas milage, but my Yamaha twin had a bigger tank. Effective range was short with either bike, and we usually sought the reserve tap withing a few miles of each other.
    I loss more power on high passes. Monarch Pass had my Yamaha gasping and running like a 125.
    Two stroke absence of engine braking became an issue coming off Pikes Peak, as the midway brake inspector burned his hand on the hot drum brake.
    Sourcing two-stroke oil didn't seem to be a problem. Most hardware stores carried the proper grade of lube, and most medium to large towns had some sort of motorcycle business.
    The only time I wished I had more power with the 250cc was while riding in Denvers Interstate high-speed rush hour traffic.
    The next year I traded it for a real road burner, an orange & white Suzuki 500T. One one trip I looped through Saskatchewan and Manatoba, and then out west from North Dakota through Montana, Idaho, Wahington, Oregon, California, California and Nevada in the summer of 1974. Never felt I needed more power, and it returned reasonable fuel milage if kept around the speed limits of the day. It held no pretense of being a gravel road runner, but it was light enough and was blessed with decent, smooth low end power so I could pick my way without undue drama along unpaved roads. The 500T was my last 2-stroke touring bike.
    That West Coast journey convinced me to uproot myself from North Dakota a few years later and move to Oregon.
    And here I remained.

Tom in Salem
    JKady likes this.